• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Starting backwards

Ziggy122

I know engines running in reverse on odd times

Mine just done it to me - and ripped my pullstart to seperate parts - So its repairable

But its gonna be annoying if it does it on a regular basis

What causes it? and can i prevent it?

Obvs its a Hyper .21

Ziggy

no idea what causes it. i've had it happen to me before aswell... i think it's really cool! lol.

Yes rear wheel steering is pretty cool :P

Like a monster truck :P

BUT if it rips my pullstart apart....

I wanna stop it

Ziggy

hmm there are a few reasons but the first thing to check is that your not getting a build up of carbon on the top of your piston. just whip out the glowplug if your piston is black then that could be your problem. you can clean it off with a bit of nitro on a soft rag.

chris

Its usually caused by running a cold engine too rich, if it has a lot of compression it can cause the engine to fire before it reaches tdc inturn firing the wrong way. Common with hyper engines and I've witnesseed it alot but not to the extent of a pully being destroyed, if it persists tuning is the only solution as far as I'm aware.

usually these episodes of reverse are short lived - 5 seconds or so and often expected tbh, however in your case this is no good lol

hth

The engine is on its 5th gallon (record i know :P )

The compression is getting a little low.... But its lived at WOT 90% of its life - and with a few accidents with leaks - Airfilter coming off - CML doing crap repair jobs etc etc

its going very well :)

But going backwards only seemed to Pull the ends off the bobbing and internal casing

So with my skill of been able to repair pullstarts i've basically spent 20 mins putting it backtogether

Ziggy

I could never get my OS .30 VG to run backwards, i did never try intentially though. Just when assembling the starter i put the one way bearing on backwards and got slightly confused, it wouldnt run backwards, wouldnt even try to fire :wacko:

Nathan,

After repairing the pullstart - the pullstart has been a little of trouble popping its mountings twice - and with a quick repair and a little drip of wd40 to make it smooth again it seems to feel better :) The pullstart dont seem to need the shims that it needed at first....

All good :)

Aint been running alot recently - cause im busy doing others things atm

But it shud be better in future :)

Ziggy

I had a similar "problem" with mine! It didn't start backwards but as soon as it was started and I revved it it went backwards but only for abit and then something "clunked" into place and it was fine. Hasn't happend for a while tho. Could be something to do with the clutch of similar

mwahaha never happened to me with a nitro car but has with my 250cc motorbike!! Now that is scary when u put it in gear and let the clutch out to find u are off backwards!!! LOL

rofl

The infamouse backwards bike :P

How funny would it be going up the motorway 80mph backwards :P Wonder the looks of peoples faces

Rear wheel steering is funny :P hard todo tho cause it reacts faster - but is hella unstable

Ziggy

80 mpg ... that sounds goood to me hahaha. 80 mph backwards however would be a shocker!!!

i didnt do that honest :lol:

:lol:

Ziggy

can i just ask what is starting backwards??

If u read the topic from the start

u would of know the engine was starting backwards

Ziggy

i did but i still dont get what it means

Instead of the engine Spinning in an clockwise direction it wasn;t and was spinning anticlockwise

Ziggy

Ziggy engine's spin anticlockwise normally, because if you put a gear to a gear, it makes it spin the opposite way, this meaning to get it to drive forwards you would have to have 2 gears, like on a buggy (spur and CB). Thats why transmissions have 3 gears, to reverse the rotation, then turn it back to normal.

Ziggy engine's spin anticlockwise normally, because if you put a gear to a gear, it makes it spin the opposite way, this meaning to get it to drive forwards you would have to have 2 gears, like on a buggy (spur and CB). Thats why transmissions have 3 gears, to reverse the rotation, then turn it back to normal.

depends which way u look at it

could i surgest unscrewing your glow plug a 1/4 turn to reduce compression and then doing it up as soon as its running.

Sounds kinda cool, a reverse engine.

I dont think its the engine been too tight - infact my engines compression is extremely low

After a pinch - it brought it back upto running tempatures

I think it happens when there isn't much force to direct it :)

Ziggy