• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Good thing I found this in time!

Nick

Li-Po batteries are safe to use and store IF they are single cell ones. There's a Li-Po battery in just about every mobile phone, in every Picco Z heli and Bluetooth headset! It's inbalance in multicell packs that cause a problem. I had a pack short out in pocket and it burnt my jeans/thigh/hip and it didn't even 'go off'. If you are respectful of them and don't put multiple cells in your pocket with your keys, it'd be fine :rolleyes:

Li-Po batteries are safe to use and store IF they are single cell ones. There's a Li-Po battery in just about every mobile phone, in every Picco Z heli and Bluetooth headset! It's inbalance in multicell packs that cause a problem. I had a pack short out in pocket and it burnt my jeans/thigh/hip and it didn't even 'go off'. If you are respectful of them and don't put multiple cells in your pocket with your keys, it'd be fine :rolleyes:

nope

Mobile phones have Li-ion (Lithium-ion)

Which means sumet different to Li-po :P

I cant remember what a polymer is - been a while since i did chemistry :P

Ziggy

Ziggy - "Ion" is a polymer. I'm holding a Li-Po battery right now and it's warm from 'thumb action', should l chuck it out the window?

Ziggy - "Ion" is a polymer. I'm holding a Li-Po battery right now and it's warm from 'thumb action', should l chuck it out the window?

Ion is not a polymer.

A lithium ion battery stores the lithium salt electrolyte in an organic solvent (normally something along the lines of ether) and not a polymer as you make make out.

However a Lithium Ion Polymer (LiPo) on the other hand uses a solid polymer composite to store the lithium salt electrolyte (normally something like polyacrylonitrile) which is a polymer.

Ion is not a polymer.

A lithium ion battery stores the lithium salt electrolyte in an organic solvent (normally something along the lines of ether) and not a polymer as you make make out.

However a Lithium Ion Polymer (LiPo) on the other hand uses a solid polymer composite to store the lithium salt electrolyte (normally something like polyacrylonitrile) which is a polymer.

Nice copy and paste from wiki :rolleyes:

Oh and if you had bothered to read the rest of the wikipedia page, you will of read that lipo batteries still contain a bit of an organic solvent......

Edited by Captain_Caveman

Nice copy and paste from wiki :rolleyes:

Oh and if you had bothered to read the rest of the wikipedia page, you will of read that lipo batteries still contain a bit of an organic solvent......

And if you'd of read my post in the first place you'd of realised the part about ether in LiPo's was negligable, hence why it wasn't included. :rolleyes:

We weren't discussing whether LiPo's contain ether, we were discussing what the lithium salt electrolyte is held in.

But I guess you just didn't bother thinking on that one.

I found out a little more about this cell.

It was a bad cell, the voltage was very low and slowly dropped to 0v, once it got to 0v it releases a gas (which causes the foil to expand). It is not dangerous at this voltage. Apparently it's only dangerous if it's high voltage/over charged.

They were TrueRC ones. Very cheap.

My Flightpowers are really good, although, you can get 3-4 packs of the cheap stuff for the same price (which is the real eye catcher).

With batteries, you defiantly get what you pay for.