• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Model Rocket

i saw a model rocket in my LHS the other day then watching that James may programme today made me think about getting one

the power of T.V. :P

how big a field would you need to lounch a small rocket?

Edited by R. Nitro King

Sorry but here we go again, l've 6 Estes rockets and they're great fun. It's the 2nd anniversary of my dad's death tomorrow and we'll be launching a few for him! :rolleyes:

Just got back from launching 4 rockets, lost 1 in a tree! The size of the rocket doesn't determine the size of the area, it's motor power that is key. Estes motors come in different power, burn and parachute delay and they all fit the same size rocket. They range from 80ft to 1,100ft high, we just fired some 1000ft up. I'm texting at the moment but will write more for when l'm on the laptop. Google "estes rockets" there's loads of info out there :D

Dad would've laughed his head off watching us trying to get the rocket back from up a tree!

It was a good laugh. Rockets are alot of fun and are relatively cheap (unless you lose them up a tree :P), like having a 'reusable firework' but don't get me started on fireworks....

If you look at the 'show off gallery' there's a pic of my toys on shelves, the rockets are on the floor in the bottom right of the pic. Estes do the full kit with 1 rocket, all the launch gear but no motors for £20, the same kit with a camera in the rocket is £25 and 1 with an altimeter is £30. Rockets on their own range from a few quid to over £30 but you only need to buy the launching gear once. Motors are around £2 each but you can get a 'Blast Off pack' for £38 that contains different sized motors and enough wadding/igniters for 24 launches :D

My first rocket was one of those crappy ready made things with a single C motor. Good fun, but a little docile for my liking.

My second rocket was a three stage build it yourself beauty. A D motor followed by a C followed by a B. It was incredible.

On the first flight it went straight into the clouds, never to be seen again :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...