• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best budget battery for tamiya lunchbox

Hi guys I’ve been out of the hobby for about 11 years now and in that time we’ve started a family, my girls are now 9 and 6 and I’ve been looking at my dusty old lunchbox (stock apart from sport tuned brushed tamiya can) and thinking about buying a suitable battery to hopefully get the girls interested in the hobby.

im not looking to spend allot at all but hoping for a run time of 30+ minutes on playground tarmac.

any links would be helpful, I’m not clued up anymore on what’s good and what isn’t so feel free to talk to me like I’ve never even known the hobby, I’m sure allot has changed in 11 years.

cheers!

dave 

If its 11 years or more old im guessing it isnt lipo compatable 

Amazon is worth a look for batteries tho

I think the esc is an mtronics 20. Budget really is only about £20. Can’t remember what charger I have but it’s a LiPo charger. Not sure if I want lipo or nimh, I remember lipo being a total faff to charge and store etc and I was always paranoid having them in the house tbh so if there’s a decent nimh out there that will give good performance and decent run times I’d be tempted.

probably not

I think this is same esc as they made them for modelsport years ago

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/mtroniks-viper-marine-25-boat-esc-388516

a cheaper option that does lipo tho

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-quicrun-1060-brushed-waterproof-esc-sbec-404964

Cheers storm, I’ve actually got an old EZ run 8.5t brushless set up I could put in the lunchbox, would this be ridiculously over the top power?

more than likely

My son and i found quite a performance boost with the stock motor in our Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin just by changing from a NIHM to 2s lipo battery

Just a small speed increase but they wheelly like mad great fun

we use a gens ace 4000mah battery in them and these batteries had a rounded profile and fitted straight into the battery tray but not sure on the later type tho

we get 20-25 mins runtime per battery

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. If I was to try the 8.5t Cam you decrease the power output of the ezrun system via the program card?

I’ve found my old brushless set up. It’s 4000kv so not sure how that stacks up. The problem I have now is the old pinion gear won’t go on the thicker (5mm?) shaft of the brushless motor. 
the original brass pinion is a 10t. Can anyone advise which pinion I need?

IMG_1067.jpeg

IMG_1068.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

5 hours ago, monkhouse said:

I’ve found my old brushless set up. It’s 4000kv so not sure how that stacks up. The problem I have now is the old pinion gear won’t go on the thicker (5mm?) shaft of the brushless motor. 
the original brass pinion is a 10t. Can anyone advise which pinion I need?

IMG_1067.jpeg

IMG_1068.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

I think thats going to be a bit too much for a humble Lunchbox..…

• Like 2

4000kv will be way too much for it due to the basic gear box and the handling of the lunchie, same gear box as hornet and grasshopper, mine does all kinds of mad stuff on a 25 turn brushed motor on 2s when it hits a few bumps like full on forward flips etc lmao 🙂

might be an idea to grab a spare pinion for it as well, i found them to be very weak around where the grub screw goes in.

edit : this is the closest i can find to what dad and i use in our ones and it is a very tight fit with ours, assuming these ones are the same size i would go with that but check size first.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/gens-ace-lipo-car-hard-case-2s-74v-4000mah-60c-bashing-with-t-type-deans-1345629

Edited by Yrkoon

So the reason I’m opting to use this brushless set up is because I haven’t got an esc that will work with the Tamiya sport tuned brushed motor AND lipo.  I’m not overly enamoured with the idea of purchasing a NiMh as it’s old tech and still incredibly expensive! I would rather buy lipo but the only speed controller I have that will work with lipo is my brushless ezrun 60a pictured. I really want to use the lunchbox but I just cannot afford to buy an esc that will work with brushed AND lipo. 
I’ve found the program card (pictured) for the ezrun, does this have on it the ability to tone down the power? Is it the timing and punch?

I’ve also bought a 0.8 mod 18t 5mm shaft pinion gear for the brushless. I could also turn down the trim on my controller right?

IMG_1074.jpeg

Try the 4000Kv motor,  looks like it will work according to this video, how long the drivetrain will last will depend on your trigger finger. You could reduce the throttle power if your transmitter has adjustable end points. The program card will help to control punch and brakes.