• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

I just got a aowei jama buggy but I can't find parts.

I had a nitro but got fed up with trying to start it so I got this buggy recently for a great deal but it requires some parts like a full brake set and some parts for the shocks. The only place I could find parts was nitrotek but the parts I was looking for are all out of stock could someone please tell me where to find parts for this buggy?

20240313_170303.jpg

Edited by Kajusbagdonas

• Kajusbagdonas changed the title to I just got a aowei jama buggy but I can't find parts.

This is the issue with buying unknown RC's. They may be cheap, but they are potentially worthless if you cant get parts......

You should be able to get similar shocks though. What size buggy is it? I'm guessing maybe HPI Baja/Losi stuff may fit?

Edited by Kpowell911

I knew parts were going to be a pain to find but i bought the car through an ebay auction for only £106 without remote, without shock pieces and brakes and i started it up today, i could ask someone to 3d print the shock parts as the shock its self is fine all i need are the plastic pieces. its a 1/5 Aowei Jama 26cc just to let you know. i contacted the seller and he told me he didn't have brakes as it stops quickly due to the weight, should i buy the brake set when i find one? ill probably be running it in a large field most of the time. i will take it for a test drive tomorrow as ive super glued the shock piece together and im going to see how it holds up.

These were a pretty poor clone of a rather poor old buggy.

The motor layout is similar to that used in the onroad FG cars, which limits what you can do for an exhaust. They also shipped with awful carbs, which should be swapped for a proper Walbro unit if it hasn;t already been done.

For shocks, FG ones are probably as close as you will get. Measure the length, and shop for something similar. The fittings should be close enough to work without much effort.

You really should have a brake setup. Again, it looks a bit similar to FG brakes. Might be possible to work out something there.

I found a person on ebay that has lots of parts from these jawas, he has 14, the reason I went with this car is because it was very cheap and I don't want to spend £500 straight away, but after I sell it then I will buy something with better aftermarket support, it's very easy to start, way easier than a nitro. That's why I wanted a petrol in the first place. 

Bit confused here.... if it wasn't sparking, the engine would not run. In your video...it's definitely running. If it has stopped running and won;t restart...take your plug out and give it a check. It's colour and condition will give an indication of what is going on.

What 2 stroke oil are you mixing with the petrol? and to what ratio? That can also have an impact on the plug.

Now.....drive from the motor uses a centrifugal clutch to drive the gears. It could be worn or damaged. Also worth checking to make sure all the gears are fully meshed, and that there are no loose grubscrews in the wheel squares at the back. Anything slipping will soak up the power as the diff sends power to the path of least resistance.

It's working, or it wouldn;t move...but unless your motor is shot, it should move a bit more readily than it is.

The tip of the spark plug was black so I assume it was running rich, I also bought a new spark plug from Ebay as they are cheap, its strange as the car only takes 1‐3 pulls to start and I can't see any spark even in a dark room, when I go full throttle it launches a bit but then it goes slow, its probably because the rpms are low but I don't know if I'm right as I'm new to petrol. Should I try tune the carb or is it best to leave it alone? I'm not sure on the fuel ratio as my friend has a lawnmower and he gave me some fuel so I can drive the car. The seller also told me that the buggy has been sitting for around a year, but unlike nitro cars (which need afterrun oil) people have told me that it's ok to just start it normally if its been sat for a while 

• 2 weeks later...

I just got new spark plugs it took long due to shipping issues, I tested for spark and I clearly saw spark so I took out the old plug and put the new one in and the engine couldn't start I even swapped back to the old plug i tried to reposition the ignition coil buy using an old credit card, it still sparks but it doesn't start, I Also tried putting fuel straight into the engine but it doesn't start, it has compression, spark and fuel but it still doesn't start, I can't figure out the problem. Can anyone please help me.

If you have a spark, and you have compression, it's probably a fuel issue.

Take the plug out and leave it overnight so the crankcase dries out fully.  Plug back in, prime and try to start. After a dozen or so pulls, plug out and check both plug condition and whether the combustion chamber smells of fuel. If it isn;t....then you got a carb issue.

Do you know what carb your engine has? Also..what oil ratio are you using and what sort of 2-stroke oil are you mixing?

What is your start routine?
For a Baja, I always used the following:  Choke on. Prime until the priming bulb is full and you feel resistance. Pull 3 times, the motor should 'cough' but not start. Choke off. Pull...and away she would go.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the spark plug out and the tip was black so I did what you said, I left it overnight and I also took off the exhaust, which contained a lot of leftover fuel so I poured the fuel out and it started, I also tested with different fuel mixtures (1:40, 1:32)but im not sure on which works the best, I've started tuning the carb and doing some drag races with a friend that has a nitro, but the 2 stroke engine doesn't seem to reach very high rpms, but I'm happy with it at the moment, should I try a tank of 1:25? Or will that harm the engine? 

I also prime until I can see that it's full and then, choke on, pull until it sounds like it's about to start, choke off and start it (it normally takes 2 pulls). 

19 hours ago, Kajusbagdonas said:

I took the spark plug out and the tip was black so I did what you said, I left it overnight and I also took off the exhaust, which contained a lot of leftover fuel so I poured the fuel out and it started, I also tested with different fuel mixtures (1:40, 1:32)but im not sure on which works the best, I've started tuning the carb and doing some drag races with a friend that has a nitro, but the 2 stroke engine doesn't seem to reach very high rpms, but I'm happy with it at the moment, should I try a tank of 1:25? Or will that harm the engine? 

I also prime until I can see that it's full and then, choke on, pull until it sounds like it's about to start, choke off and start it (it normally takes 2 pulls). 

I've tuned the carb to a slightly more lean tune and it now reaches high rpms, it looks like it reaches around 30mph instead of 20mph.

I used to run around 1:33, and I always used a good premix oil.

Sounds like you are going in the right direction in terms of tuning. The motor is revving out like it should, which is a good sign.

Thanks for all the help, I've just got one last question, how do i make more power? should i use a different fuel like shell vpower? maybe get a high flow intake or a better exhaust? im planning to sell a nitro buggy  so i can put a bit of money on improving the jama for around (£50-70)