• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New to crawlers, unsure what to get?

I am new to this part of the hobby. 
Possibly looking to buy a crawler, but I am unsure what to get. Budget is on the lower side of things. The dilemma is what to actually get. A rig with diff locks, 2 speed transmission and portal axles or a rig without those and upgrade from there? One I like is the new ftx gladius. The others I like are again ftx’s but do mot have the bells and whistles.  Geo, hi-rock, fury 2.0 or the texan?

what people think? Advice please 🙏 

could also consider element rc enduro platform or any brand within the budget of the ones mentioned above! 👆 

ideally I would like to compete but not professionally 

Edited by megaline

17 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

Try the Gladius, its low price for what you get, if you dont like crawling sell it on

Yes, but I really really like your texan build. I can see the same build on a fury 2.0 or even a high rock. I don’t know, there is so much choice. 

• Like 1

How about a charisma coyote 2.1, mine was excellent out of the box, modified it quite a bit, and it's now my favourite go to crawler, along with the Injora rock buggy I recently built up 👍

• Like 1

To try to help more, what is your max budget? what kind of place do you have where you can run a crawler? are you wanting a scale rig.

For all out crawling ability out of the box rtr the element enduro rigs take a lot of beating, my gatekeeper converted to Texan cab power wagon is just amazing, i removed the cage body, fitted a texan cab better wheels and tyres and its good to go

4 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

To try to help more, what is your max budget? what kind of place do you have where you can run a crawler? are you wanting a scale rig.

For all out crawling ability out of the box rtr the element enduro rigs take a lot of beating, my gatekeeper converted to Texan cab power wagon is just amazing, i removed the cage body, fitted a texan cab better wheels and tyres and its good to go

Budget is on the low side, if it is new probably max 300 and 2nd hand 200. On FB market there are a few rigs available for a very good price sub £200. Hi rock, geo, fury 2.0 and a texan. I am also looking on banggood and aliexpress. RGT rigs are very reasonable as well (I know they are the same as ftx) I want to drive on trails in the woods, also on rc trail tracks. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well lads, I got a rig. it is the very very entry level FTX Outback 3 Paso. Got it for very cheap off FB marketplace.  I was expecting it to be very small as Tomley, in his review said it is more like 1/12 scale, but surprise surprise when I opened the box it looked massive in my opinion. It did not come stock, it has upgrade servo 25kg, 110mil tires and 3s li-po. I cut the arches and extended them with some heavy duty gorilla tape, to accommodate the tires. Also the body was a bit battered, so I stitched it up with cable ties. 

Here some photos of it.  

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_4002.jpg

• Like 2