• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Recommendations for Racing

RobDog80

Hi Everyone, 

I guess this might have been asked a million times before....but please be patient with me.

After many years out of the game, my son is showing some interest. We have been bashing around with an old Absima AMT for a while on the field and beach but would like to enter a race / competition this year.

Our local (outdoor) track is Southport...but I am not really sure what is raced there and what a popular / competitive car / brand would be (I appreciate this will take months and years of practice to achieve a decent standard, but would like to start off with something that is not hopeless).

I assume I can pay the membership and download all the regulations from the MSUK website?

What brands have strong spare parts support in the UK would be a good starting point...and anything that should absolutely be avoided?

Ps, battery not nitro (that is a long way behind me now...well, for now atleast).

Any pointers are very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Your best bet would be to pop down to your local , someone will help you with what's best. Quite often someone will be selling something that might be suitable. 

It's hard to give advise without knowing what they run. 

19 hours ago, Alex97 said:

Your best bet would be to pop down to your local , someone will help you with what's best. Quite often someone will be selling something that might be suitable. 

It's hard to give advise without knowing what they run. 

Yup, thanks mate. Makes perfect sense. 
Will head over there on their next meeting.
Cheers.

Just about to do this tonight (different club)

Just going to have a look, see what's what. Will try and have a chat with a few people, then get a car bought!

14 hours ago, frst said:

Just about to do this tonight (different club)

Just going to have a look, see what's what. Will try and have a chat with a few people, then get a car bought!

Really enjoyed myself last night. 

Thank you to all the people whose brains I picked last night. As someone who always overthinks things, and as a "born-again" I was probably asking questions way above my pay grade but everyone was really helpful. 

So now I just need to decide, Mardave/Kamtech or Battcave?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frst said:

Really enjoyed myself last night. 

Thank you to all the people whose brains I picked last night. As someone who always overthinks things, and as a "born-again" I was probably asking questions way above my pay grade but everyone was really helpful. 

So now I just need to decide, Mardave/Kamtech or Battcave?

That new Battcave car looks nice. 

26 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

That new Battcave car looks nice. 

It does. A few there last night. A couple of drivers seemed to love it, one said they'd wanted to throw it down the stairs and return to their Kamtec, and one was worried about it being a bit fragile?

Sidenote: why can't Mardave make cars in black frp!?

I think the side-sprung Assassin is probably the car for me, but my OCD is struggling to get round the look of the Mardave FRP. 

I know that the most important thing is how it drives and performs, but it looks like old circuit board offcuts!!!

As suggested, it's a good idea to go and have a chat with some of the local racers to see what they run. You'll probably find the two most common brands are Schumacher and Associated. Schumacher recently released the LD3, whish is proving itself to be a very competitive vehicle, but has been prone to breakages. Associated has also just announced the release of their new car, the Associated B7. Because of this, there are some bargain used Associated B6's floating around, most prefer the B6.3 version. I race one of these, and at them moment see no need to upgrade to the B7. They are super strong cars, which is important when new to racing, but also highly competitive.

You'll need to talk to the club organisers to figure out what memberships you'll need. Presumably you'll need a club membership and a BRCA licence, however most clubs will let new drivers race without these for a meeting or two.

Hope this helps

Many thanks

Dan