• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Radio Advice

iGP

Hey folks 👋

Just joined the community and somewhat a newbie now to the world of RC after a long 20+ year hiatus.

I hope this is the correct forum however, I'm in  the need of some advice as I'm currently looking to buy a radio transmitter/receiver for my incoming kits, Tamiya Top Force Evo and the XV-02RS Pro.

So  hopefully you kind folks here can point me in the right direction, oh and my budget is around £125... any recommendations are very welcome!

Edited by iGP
I hope this is the correct forum?

Hi

The Flysky GT5 is decent quality, has  all the adjustments you’d need, has multi model memory and receivers are not too expensive. Has to an option on your list.

I have just received a Dumborc ddf350, which is similar in price etc to the Flysky GT5, also worth a look.

A cheaper option would be the CT8 currently on offer at Rlaarlo? Not used one but reviews are good.

The Radiolink mt12 gets good reviews but is pushing your budget.

Lots others will have had experience of, I’m sure they’ll suggest other options too.

Hope that helps and enjoy your models!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SWF said:

Hi

The Flysky GT5 is decent quality, has  all the adjustments you’d need, has multi model memory and receivers are not too expensive. Has to an option on your list.

I have just received a Dumborc ddf350, which is similar in price etc to the Flysky GT5, also worth a look.

A cheaper option would be the CT8 currently on offer at Rlaarlo? Not used one but reviews are good.

The Radiolink mt12 gets good reviews but is pushing your budget.

Lots others will have had experience of, I’m sure they’ll suggest other options too.

Hope that helps and enjoy your models!

2 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

for multi model use i still like the flysky GT3 b

Thank you very much for those suggestions folks, I shall have a browse shortly and fingers crossed find a UK retailer that stocks these. I don't mind raising the budget slightly if it means getting something better now for the long-term. No doubt I'll have a few more questions shorty however, looking forward to getting started... thank you! 👍

@Lone-wolf @SWF I have found a model store called https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/ that appears to stock most of if not all the radios advised. This store has quite a few offerings, GT3B, GT5, G7P and the NB4.... leaning towards the NB4?

Edited by iGP
Updating post with links
  • Like 1

Hi

While I’ve never used a Noble NB4, it looks to be a quality radio which is convertible for left and right handed use. It gets neat receiver’s with integrated antennas and uses a TX protocol that has very low latency, which makes it used by some as a “race” radio.

You’ll be happy with any of those options.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SWF said:

Hi

While I’ve never used a Noble NB4, it looks to be a quality radio which is convertible for left and right handed use. It gets neat receiver’s with integrated antennas and uses a TX protocol that has very low latency, which makes it used by some as a “race” radio.

You’ll be happy with any of those options.

Cheers

Thank you both for the recommendations and advice. 👍

FlySky appears to get the thumbs up from reviewers however, I just couldn't find that DumboRC DDF-350 here in the UK unfortunately.

Besides the NB4, I did consider the Futaba 3PV 3 Channel 2.4GHz T-FHSS + R203GF combo bundle although... is it really worth the few quid more over what's been recommended so far?

Other than this I'm fancying the NB4. Slightly more money for quality but need another receiver or two. Should I head this route, would any receiver from FlySky work or must it be the matching unit that came with the radio (NB4)?

Apologies for the list of questions.

Hi

The Dumborc 350 is quite new, so UK supplies unlikely. Through eBay, mine came in a week. I bought it as I already have a Dumborc radio with 5 or 6 receivers and wanted the adjustability and model memory that the new radio has. Other than that, I’m more than happy with my GT5, as others are happy with the GT3. I think you are right that the NT4 is a higher quality model, though I’ve not held one. The GT5 and Dumborc 350  feel solid in the hand too.

As for receivers, you need units that match the TX protocol of your radio. Dumborc use their version of FHSS, Flysky use AFHDS, AFHDS 2, AFHDS 3 and ANT, depending on which radio in the range you choose. GT5 is AFHDS2, Noble is AFHDS3, as an example.

There is a chart on the Flysky website that shows which TX works with which RX.

That is true for most radio’s, which can be considered as systems, though the Radiolink MT12 uses the EdgeTX operating system and a TX module which is capable of working across different TX protocols, so will work with receivers from different manufacturers. Unless you “need” this functionality, it’s probably overkill for most.

They’re all great when compared to the AM 27MHz and FM 40MHz system used 20 years ago!

The receivers for some of these systems can be quite expensive, so it’s worth checking that out too, if you think you will be expanding your fleet, haha!

Please feel free to keep asking questions, there are lots of knowledgeable people on here whom love to help make having RC models a great experience.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SWF said:

Hi

The Dumborc 350 is quite new, so UK supplies unlikely. Through eBay, mine came in a week. I bought it as I already have a Dumborc radio with 5 or 6 receivers and wanted the adjustability and model memory that the new radio has. Other than that, I’m more than happy with my GT5, as others are happy with the GT3. I think you are right that the NT4 is a higher quality model, though I’ve not held one. The GT5 and Dumborc 350  feel solid in the hand too.

As for receivers, you need units that match the TX protocol of your radio. Dumborc use their version of FHSS, Flysky use AFHDS, AFHDS 2, AFHDS 3 and ANT, depending on which radio in the range you choose. GT5 is AFHDS2, Noble is AFHDS3, as an example.

There is a chart on the Flysky website that shows which TX works with which RX.

That is true for most radio’s, which can be considered as systems, though the Radiolink MT12 uses the EdgeTX operating system and a TX module which is capable of working across different TX protocols, so will work with receivers from different manufacturers. Unless you “need” this functionality, it’s probably overkill for most.

They’re all great when compared to the AM 27MHz and FM 40MHz system used 20 years ago!

The receivers for some of these systems can be quite expensive, so it’s worth checking that out too, if you think you will be expanding your fleet, haha!

Please feel free to keep asking questions, there are lots of knowledgeable people on here whom love to help make having RC models a great experience.

Cheers

Very informative posting and I appreciate your time, effort and expertise. 👍

I watched a fair number of video reviews, DumboRC and FlySky appear to have all the features, performance and reliability at an unbelievable price point. I was expecting and prepared to pay a high price however, the GT5 ticks all the boxes for me when compared to the likes of Futaba, Sanwa, RadioLink etc. I'm already looking at expanding the fleet! 😁

@SWF Going to order the GT5 with a few of the Flysky FS-BS4 2.4Ghz 4 Channel Receiver/Gyro Stabilization however, does the GT5 have both steering/throttle EXP? I have seen a few folk talk about how important it is to set EXP.

These receivers feature gyro stabilization... is this similar to that found in drifting gyros, counter steering, etc?

Again, appreciate your time and advice.  👍

Edited by iGP
A few small queries.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello, is it possible to use the old DumboRC X6 transmitter sometimes and the new 350 transmitter other times with the same receiver/car without manually binding them each time?

Also, can the power/throttle be easily reduced on the 350, for example, to 60% (can it be set to a specific button?), or do I have to set it as a saved parameter in one of the presets?

Edited by kykloop