• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Squarebody Stepside

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks folks!

So I have not planned much further than "I think this would be cool" and started ordering parts and produced the mock up. I weighed up the various options for gearbox and went with the SSD for the sole reason it looks cool and can be used for most SCX10 builds so will easily find a home if it doesn't work out in this.  The Beams kit has been out of stock and I can gather other parts in the meantime.

So I got the gearbox in and added to Trail King plastics for the chassis as it'll give me some options for bolting stuff down. Fuel cell Likely won't stay but I had to buy it as it's a cool wee thing

spacer.png

I've got the MOD19 SCX body mounts for the cab and they are some nice parts. Some fiddling will be needed with position as the engine is sat very high though it does clear but leaves no room for any plug wires. I even managed to get the paddles on the right way round this time, go me!

spacer.png

That'll be all for a bit now, I emailed Horizon and there's no date for the Beams in the UK and Amain is out of stock so progress will maybe be a bit slow on this but there's bodywork etc to be done until then.  In the meantime I've gotta decide on silly things like do I continue with an onslaught of KC or do I go with Hellas for a change, ach, square KC will be enough of a change!😂

My mate sent me this and I nearly U-turned the whole project but I'm already underway and I can do this another time. It has highlighted that I"ve got the bed arches on way too low!

spacer.png

Edited by ad456m
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So the bed wasn't ticking the boxes for me on this so sat for a few evenings on Blender this week and came up with this. First print and a quick styrene/masking tape bed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not sure if I'll really print the whole bed or not. 

• Like 3

Thanks @Stormbringer it’s the first time I’ve tried to model something real in a long time, I did try to do a Ford Falcon front end to fit a Proline Desert  Eagle some years ago but drove myself nuts with it. I’m pretty happy with it at the moment. Tempted to just call it good and move onto getting a cage designed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So as I wait on parts coming for this I kept working on the bed.

Had to do a shop truck mock-up. This was the first full print of the bed.

spacer.png

And I got the second version printed this weekend and threw a coat of primer on there, with basically no prep done, just to get rid of the nearly neon yellow plastic. The bed is sitting crooked because it's not mounted and is being held up with random bits of styrene.  I'm currently modelling a floor with some mounts and the step. Hopefully some parts will start turning up soon so I can get to lining the body up properly so I can set the final bed length. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

So this might or might not be a good idea but we'll see how it goes as I'm seriously bored of waiting on Proline to make some stock or whatever other reason the Beams kits are on backorder.

@Stormbringer thanks man, those are some eBay touring car wheels I bought for an R33 TT02 that I could never find any love for so they are now the 2nd set of my go to mockup rims. 

spacer.png 

spacer.png

Edited by ad456m
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

So the IFS2 is gonna be a pig to get wrapped around the SSD trans so I've split the parts out and now I'm gonna do two🤦‍♂️. The Axial has been mated to a Yota axle with leafs and I'm nearly finished a quick and dirty road going IFS setup for that. Still got some Proline Beams on backorder but I have a feeling they are being re-designed as the backorder for that surely shouldn't take that long. Anyway if they ever get here I'll build something from them as I now have most of the SCX10 builders kit sat in the box.

I bought an Element chassis when I bought the IFS as I had a feeling it may not fit well on the Axial so put a cheap AliExpress Selectable Diff Axle on the back. A rough remix of the MOD19RC Blazer body mount and some Element Urbine wheels and this is what I have. 

Got a bit of indecision going on with the bed length(forgive the shorter bed, printer clogged 6.5hrs into the print).  Anyone got any thoughts?  10mm is a lot it seems. And I Forgot to sort the length of the bit at the rear of the longer bed so its a bit short looking, probably needs a 4-7mm added.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ad456m
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks @Stormbringer

Is I've got a kinda rough IFS designed for this now, should work at least. Hopefully get some dry weather that pairs with free time soon so I can test it. I half ripped the geometry from some Tamiya TL01 parts that are on Thingiverse and freestyled it to get me some ground clearance and get the wheels in the right place. I used some captured pivots from Schumacher(no idea what they are meant for, just like the idea and they seemed nice and small. Put some 50mm Bilsteins from RC4WD on for shocks. The main chassis mount needs some refining but unless the rest falls apart easily then it'll do. I'm just gonna link the servo to the steering bar, I've not really got the energy to fit a rack or bellcrank unless I really have to.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here's what the whole chassis looks like, nothing too clever but seems to feel like it should drive.

spacer.png

And I picked up various wheels and tyres to try on this, lots more than what's behind the truck. I'm really liking these RC4WD 1.7" steelies with some AliExpress 1/14 truck tires at the moment. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So now to finish the bed mount, rear lights and I think it'll move on to paint/glue etc. Might try get the other one caught up as well so I can so it all at the same time. 

• Like 1

@Stormbringer, much appreciated man, this scale stuff is awesome for kitbashing with.

I only realised today that I started with a SCX10 slider and Blazer body set, the Blazer got cut in half and there's only the skid and rails left of the SCX10, I never really make a plan but that's nuts. Guess I better start making an SCX10 sometime.😂

• Haha 1