• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Advice please on electronics with a Maverick Strada DT

BUDFORCE

Hello,

I got my son a Maverick Strada DT about a year and a half ago, great little car, he really loves it and I also think its great fun on our little dirt track we have here.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/maverick-strada-dt-110-rtr-electric-desert-truck-405663

When I got it I converted it from nimh to 2s LiPo, I cut the main power connector and soldered on one that fits my Lipo, then used a battery tester with alarm in place of a low voltage cut off, and all was fine.

About 6 months in the motor died, I checked with a multimeter and speed controller was putting current in and nothing, and actually when I replaced it some chunk of metal actually fell out of the motor. Replaced that motor with like for like.

Running the car again today maybe 6 months later and the motor died again, again checked it, current going in but nothing.

I figure whilst it does work, I am guessing the motor doesnt really like Lipo over nimh and its killing the motors, when running it today I noticed the car going a little slower than normal and when I touched the motor it was screaming hot, way to hot to touch.

So, my question is, would it be worth getting a lipo speed controller and motor set? Is there any that will fit? I notice there is quite a limited amount of space in there, so worried it would need to be some quite compact gear. Would the Maverick Strada brushless motor hold up better? - assume I would need a different speed controller if getting a brushless?

Any other suggestions?

2 hours ago, Bajadre said:

prob wearing the brushes quicker on lipos brother a nice mild BL system will be good as long as the diffs cant handle it.looks like the standard motor is a 22turn one so unless you want more speed stick around there

Ok cool, well there are Brushless maverick Strada versions.

So guessing if I buy the exact same motor and speed controller that is used in that one should be good to go as a direct replacement?

1 hour ago, Darren Frosty said:

Don't buy the Maverick motor they're really crap and die quickly.

I put one of these in my lads strada and it's still going strong. https://www.modelsport.co.uk/electric/electric-motors/etronix/sensorless?

Ok nice one thank you, can you recommend an ESC to go with it?

1 hour ago, Darren Frosty said:

the maverick one is still going strong in my lads one

Sorry being properly thick here, I assumed the existing ESC in the car that is setup for a brushed motor would not work with that motor you suggested. If it does work then I wont bother replacing it.

Parts arrived, went for the Etronic combo as posted above, but the slightly lower Kv motor.

I havn't fit the parts yet but the Etronic ESC is smaller than the stock Maverick one which is ideal. I was somewhat concern about fitting as there is not much room between the Servo and motor in the maverick, but there will be plenty of room with this new one.

Will get it fitted this week, possibly tomorrow.

All done.

Tested it briefly in the garden and seems pretty well setup from stock so haven't bothered using the card to adjust the ESC.

As you can see plenty of room in the Maverick Strada.

Going to give it a proper test later when the lad is home from school.

Thanks again for all your help.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Took it out on the track last night and oh yeah, such an improvement. The thing is definitely fast enough now for what we use it for and considering my little one is only 5 years old, glad I went for the lowest Kv motor put it that way! Plenty of torque as well, so on the loose dirt track it's donut heaven, but really great for drifting around and kicking up some dust!

Only slight hiccup though - had our first ever breakage, which had nothing to do with the upgrade, but typical bloody timing!

The grub screw that holds the front shock into the lower suspension arm came loose and out, and then the shock must have poked through below I guess hitting the ground, at speed, and bent. Oddly I had a brand new spare set of shocks, I cannot for the life of me remember why but I got them with the car, I must have read something or, I dunno.....there must have been some reason for me to randomly buy a new set of shocks with the car, which I then never ended up using until now.

Hopefully get it out for another spin tomorrow evening, time permitting.

Gotta say as well, this Maveric DT is a great bit of kit, stock motor aside, this one has had many, many lipos through it, run on rough/stony surface often at speed, and apart from the above just now nothing has broken, and have had it about a year and a half. It's perfect for smaller ones as its not too crazy fast, but I must admit even coming off my Hobao Hyper VSe, this thing still feels really fun and capable. Everyone seems to recommend the FTX cars for newbies but IMO those are junk in comparrison, I have an Outlaw it sits there now, I cant be doing with it, something breaking every time I have no desire to run it.

• Like 1