• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ready to Runs

Grogg

I'm considering treating myself to a ready to run, so far I've got one kit RC that I'm finishing off, 1 almost ready to run that I've got running, and another kit to build, so nothing that's been ready to use out the box.  One of the reasons for this is that I'm really enjoying the building and tweaking side of things, but the other reason, is that I've yet to find a ready to run that I like the looks of.  The two that interest me the most, the HPI Savage X Flux V2, is one of them, but I don't like the body shell, the other is the Arma Kraton 6S, but I really hate the body shell for this one.  Does anybody know if there are aftermarket body shells, beside the clear versions or different colours of the stock version, available for either of these models.

On 22/04/2023 at 00:04, Yrkoon said:

have a look at team corally as well the kronos and shogun are sweet 🙂

I had a look at the Kronos, I've not read a bad review about it, I just really don't like the body shells available for it, nor the chassis layout.  I have a 1/8 scale already, the HoBao Hyper Cage Truggy, which I'm running on 8s, I know this can be done with both the Arma Kraton 6s, as well as the HPI Savage X Flux V2.  I'm not sure it can be done with the Kronos, and it's something I plan to do at a later date should I buy a Kraton or Savage X Flux V2

Neither takes 8s. The EXB barely takes 6s with a 1650kv motor. And at that point already it's completely undrivable and starts ripping into the drive cups.

PQVtSEN.jpg

I should know. 

9 hours ago, Grogg said:

I have a 1/8 scale already, the HoBao Hyper Cage Truggy, which I'm running on 8s

Pics?

Edited by m4inbrain

Seen a Savage run on 8S  .... took the guy months to get it able to hold together for a whole bash......and it sucked up the money. When it did drive, it was impossible to use the power.

It's for armchair pilots to tell their mates 'Mines running 8S .... ' when it's usually not running at all.

The Savage is an old design, originally intended for a .21 nitro motor. It's handling doesn't need or want 8S, it's driveline is marginal on 6S, and it will just end up broken. Which isn;t very much fun.

I found that out the hard way trying to put a 4082 motor in a Hyper truggy. Melted diffs, ripped tyres apart and it could crash in a straight line as it would lift the front end violently if it hit a bump under power, and end up flipping.

The end result is simply not worth the trouble. You'd have more fun running on 4S.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

Seen a Savage run on 8S  .... took the guy months to get it able to hold together for a whole bash......and it sucked up the money. When it did drive, it was impossible to use the power.

It's for armchair pilots to tell their mates 'Mines running 8S .... ' when it's usually not running at all.

The Savage is an old design, originally intended for a .21 nitro motor. It's handling doesn't need or want 8S, it's driveline is marginal on 6S, and it will just end up broken. Which isn;t very much fun.

I found that out the hard way trying to put a 4082 motor in a Hyper truggy. Melted diffs, ripped tyres apart and it could crash in a straight line as it would lift the front end violently if it hit a bump under power, and end up flipping.

The end result is simply not worth the trouble. You'd have more fun running on 4S.

It's the HPI Savage XL Flux V2 GTXL-6 that I'm seriously considering, not the HPI Savage X Flux V2.  And this is commonly converted to run on 8s, there's a guy who's on KT's channel quite often who runs one on 8s - I think they call him ''8s Steve''.  And if you have a look over on the HPI Savage Forum, you'll see it's extremely common for people to convert them to 8s.  Here's one such video by somebody who's posts I've been reading:

Yes it will need a couple of mods done to it, but that's a lot of the fun for me, that why I built a rock crawler and converted it into a sort of truggy/stadium truck/short course truck thing that does over 40mph with out the body shell, and around 35mph with the body shell on.  Why my mates and I are having a challenge to build TT-02's that will do over 100mph.  We enjoy the building and tweaking process as much and sometimes more than taking them out for a bash about, race, jumps...

And you don't need to go flat out all the time, do you drive with the accelerator on the floor at all times?  Not to mention with Transmitters, and ESC programing cards you can do everything from adjusting the acceleration curve to actually limiting the  the power to 50% or even less, then you have thing like stabilizers - active and passive, gyros.....

Edited by Grogg

Stick 8s in your hyper, it will take it.
My 20 year old hyper has a max 6 motor and 8s esc 😄 its scary.

On 21/04/2023 at 20:45, Grogg said:

I'm considering treating myself to a ready to run, so far I've got one kit RC that I'm finishing off, 1 almost ready to run that I've got running, and another kit to build, so nothing that's been ready to use out the box.  One of the reasons for this is that I'm really enjoying the building and tweaking side of things, but the other reason, is that I've yet to find a ready to run that I like the looks of.  The two that interest me the most, the HPI Savage X Flux V2, is one of them, but I don't like the body shell, the other is the Arma Kraton 6S, but I really hate the body shell for this one.  Does anybody know if there are aftermarket body shells, beside the clear versions or different colours of the stock version, available for either of these models.

You can put the kraton shell on the hpi i think, didnt kev do it to his HPI Savage?

Edited by Redback

54 minutes ago, Redback said:

Stick 8s in your hyper, it will take it.
My 20 year old hyper has a max 6 motor and 8s esc 😄 its scary.

You can put the kraton shell on the hpi i think, didnt kev do it to his HPI Savage?

I have the Hobao Hyper Cage Truggy running on 8s, with this Castle ESC and engine combo, it's insanely fun, and it's an 8s ESC and engine combo designed for 1/8 scale RCs, so it's the one I'm tempted to get as an upgrade to the ESC and Engine for the Savage XL I'm so close to pulling the trigger on, munless I can find something better, more powerful, and faster.

I don't know if the Kraton shell will fit on the Savage XL, not to mention it the body shell I like the least, in fact I hate it, I really like HPI Gt Gigante Truck Body, but can't find it in stock anywhere.  The only video of Kevin's I've seen with a HPI Savage in it, is him using the nitro version, I don't know if he's done a video with the electric version, or converted his nitro one to electric - I seen a few videos where he's converted nitro and petrol RCs to electric RCs

Edited by Grogg

LOL .... you post a vid of a 6S run .... which is barely driveable and balloons the tyres and crashes in a straight line. Not an 8S one.

Exactly the point I was making. You stated you want a RTR truck as you have a load of projects you are working on. You want to build something like that...it's your money. But it's not a RTR.
Which is what you started the thread about. The truck in the vid has an 8S capable ESC, which is not stock and neither is the motor.

And if you do want to overpower a truck and then not use the power you added......well. Sorry...that makes no sense whatsoever.
At the very least, I expect to be able to hit full throttle and still be in control whenever I wish.

Just bear in mind...the advice I gave was based on your question......and in that you put 'The two that interest me the most, the HPI Savage X Flux V2......'

AFTER my post you put:

It's the HPI Savage XL Flux V2 GTXL-6 that I'm seriously considering, not the HPI Savage X Flux V2

Edited by Nitroholic
  • Like 1