• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

30's Pick-up Rod

ad456m

So I've been working away at this putting tweaks here and there, swapping wheels, tyres, electronics placements,  and the intake for the engine. Started playing with paint more too, I've been spraying all the test prints to see how things look and how they behave with each other.

I took some styrene and superglue out to quickly see what layout would work for electronics and this turned out to be the way not to go, so have designed up most of a floor/electronics tray, just need it printed to test. Battery along the right floor pan and esc/Rx on the other side is the plan, with the battery across the seat it caught on the battery leads for the pack when i remove the body so i decided not to go that route. 

spacer.png

And here's roughly where it is now. Lots more printing to do, but I think I've nearly got everything sussed out and the grill, wheels, headers, intake and bed already have a revision ready to get printed. Got some detail bits to get, mostly resin prints from a mate I think, gearstick/coil/steering wheel etc. I must find some rear lights too,  I've some interesting designs available for marker lights for 1/14 trucks  so must get some ordered soon. and lastly a fuel tank. That will likely be some truck thing too, Lesu make some cool but expensive ones.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

So after a bit of a break from this I've gotten the enthusiasm back to hopefully get it done but we'll see.

I've attached the front leaf to the chassis and the height seems good.

spacer.png

This is it from the top, still some spacers to remove and fiddling around but it works, the leaf compresses and I'm fairly happy with it.

spacer.png

I would quite like to do this thing in steel and/or brass but that won't be for a wee while when i get a whole free day.

spacer.png

I got past trying to do some kind of leaf in the rear and just put this on, it too needs some tweaks but it's functional. Once i get most of the threaded rod links and ropey rod ends to around the right size I'll buy some nicer stuff but until I have the right lengths it'll stay.  

spacer.png

And here's how it sits. The engine is off so I can glue it and, weather permitting, prime it. I also revised the grill, a bit lower and tilted 2 degrees back, the heights good but the tilt isn't. I'll sort that and add the radiator mount and that'll be done. The bed needs tweaks now I'm finished playing with the suspension and I'm just gonna close it off with a tailgate and maybe a wood cover or something of that vein. 

spacer.png

It was at this point I realised the garage was a bloody mess and decided to get a handle on that as I was starting to get stuff mixed up between projects.

spacer.png

Edited by ad456m
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Stormbringer, feeling like I've broken the back of this one now.  Bed is just details left, hopefully get the last test printed tomorrow and then final prints can start and get onto painting the majority of stuff.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hopefully should be fine, the winds not got up so shouldn’t have any drafts in the shed and it seems to have warmed up to 9deg outside. Just walked to Tesco for milk, felt like I was gonna melt when I got back! Big difference from the snow last week. 

I took the chance to prime the engine block too, might be a mess though as it’s 28mph winds and the Tamiya spray likely isn’t the best at fighting that😂 

• Like 1

So this is the last big changes to the bed, just some rounding of edges, make room for the pumpkin and add the tail hinges and it'll hopefully be print and paint.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wheels and interior/electronics tray next as I really a test drive.

• Like 2