• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LC racing BHC-1 1/14 buggy

Alex97

First outing didn't go as planned, I got less than 5 laps in down at a very wet Herts, first 2 laps were on rally blocks however it was clear that they had very little grip so I swapped them out for the stock ones and they were a vast improvement. Sadly the servo was playing up from the off, originally started not turning left straight away (I thought it was radio problems) and then altogether losing all steering. By the look of the gear it just shattered which explains the issues. I hope it was a manufacturing issue as no one else has reported an issue. 

For the few laps I did it handled well, I couldn't get much power down due to lack of grip and steering issues. Before running I did drill two of the front pistons out to 1.2mm as the rebound was very slow, this massively improved them. I also added 4mm of  washes in the front to lower the ride height and 3mm in the rear. Out the box the ride height was around 18mm which is just too high, it's now 12mm and 14mm. 

20230109_113321.jpg

20230109_122530.jpg

Edited by Alex97
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, ReggieC said:

That must have been really disappointing with the servo. Hopefully they sort you out with a new one.

Were you on the 1/10 track at Herts? How did it go round there?

Yes, I was at Herts on the 1/10 track

8 hours ago, Kezturbo said:

Does it handle the bumps well ? Being it’s a smaller size? Does look nice 👌 

It went around the track absolutely fine however it was very wet and the steering was playing up from the off so I can't really comment how it handles. All 1/10 buggy tracks are pretty smooth and flat so this won't have any issues going over bumps. I hope the micro class makes a resurgence as this is a good starting point.

Edited by Alex97

Was thinking on stronger servo than stock, which size servo runs 1/10 low profile or emb 1 size? 

Gathering bits together for when arrives 👍🏾

Edited by R46

15 hours ago, R46 said:

Was thinking on stronger servo than stock, which size servo runs 1/10 low profile or emb 1 size? 

Gathering bits together for when arrives 👍🏾

Emb size, the max width is 46.7mm. A normal 1/10 servo is 54mm, the upgraded one isn't that much however it's more the in principle that it didn't even last a lap.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, R46 said:

Sweet i have spare jx1181mg. 

It comes with a servo already, admittedly mine was a bit slow and broke within the 1st lap however the two might have been linked. 

Hi

I’ve finally had some free time, so my chassis is assembled and sat on it’s wheels!

Everything about it feels good quality, so good in fact that I think it deserves better electrics than the UDIRC motor and all in one esc, that my original plan included?

Then, I’ve no idea when the weather will allow me to paint the body. 

Thus far though, well impressed!

Cheers

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alex97 said:

It comes with a servo already, admittedly mine was a bit slow and broke within the 1st lap however the two might have been linked. 

I know comes with one but wouldn't be  good for me from past experience with emb1 lol. 

Run jx an surpass servos in my wltoys 018 & 019

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SWF said:

Hi

I’ve finally had some free time, so my chassis is assembled and sat on it’s wheels!

Everything about it feels good quality, so good in fact that I think it deserves better electrics than the UDIRC motor and all in one esc, that my original plan included?

Then, I’ve no idea when the weather will allow me to paint the body. 

Thus far though, well impressed!

Cheers

What are you thinking of going with? 

It looks like the LC 4500kv 2838 is out of stock, so just been on AliExpress and ordered a Surpass KK 4400kv 2838, a 4600kv 2440 and a Surpass 35a esc. I have a 2.3 to 3.17mm pinion shaft adapter left over from a Tamiya 380 motor. I’ll then see which suits it best from those 2.

The Surpass esc will be going into the UDIRC so that it’s 16bl30 can go in this, unless I get turned to a 10bl60, which are compact and inexpensive. Think that could run without a fan in here as I have one powering a 3650 motor in a TT02 without overheating?

I have a Batan 135f servo, destined for my emb-t when or if the 115f fails. I’m going to order another and fit the 135 in here, based on your experience.

What do you think?

I'd cancel the ESC personally and go for a 16BL30 or a 10BL60 as I've read so many horror stories about the surpass ESCs. You wouldn't need a fan on the 10BL60, a lot of people ran them in their EMB buggys with zero issues. 

@Lone-wolf was selling a good combo that would drop stright in, no idea if it's still forsale.

Edited by Alex97
  • Like 2

The Surpass stuff is showing as shipped, no stopping it now haha! 

The UDIRC Pro cogs real bad in standard form, over geared I think, but runs much better with the 16bl30 with punch and timing adjusted, might just leave it and try a 10bl60 in the BHC if it’s compact enough? I’ll get my ruler out.

Missed the system that @Lone-wolf was selling, I did look but thought my plan was suitable.

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by SWF
Update
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SWF said:

The Surpass stuff is showing as shipped, no stopping it now haha! 

The UDIRC Pro cogs real bad in standard form, over geared I think, but runs much better with the 16bl30 with punch and timing adjusted, might just leave it and try a 10bl60 in the BHC if it’s compact enough? I’ll get my ruler out.

Missed the system that @Lone-wolf was selling, I did look but thought my plan was suitable.

Thanks for the advice!

The 10BL60 has a smaller footprint than the 16BL30. 

• Like 1

Just now, MrCake said:

Have DMS come back with anything about the broken servo?

Yes, a replacement gear is being sent in the next batch which should hopefully arrive soon. 

I found an old video of my LC12B1 and although I had the upgraded servo in that the speed difference was massive which makes me 99% sure it arrived with an issue. 

• Like 3

Great that DMS are looking after you with the servo!

I ordered a 135f servo from DMS yesterday and it arrived this morning.

I’ve got it in a driving state now, 16bl30, 2435 3900kv from Udirc with 19 tooth pinion.  It spins about the garage floor quite nicely.

Not been able to paint the body as it won’t stop raining.

I’ve got a couple of weeks, waiting for the 2838 motor to arrive, so hopefully we’ll see some dry mild weather before then, so I can put some paint on it.

All good!

Hope you get your’s running again soon.

Cheers

11 hours ago, SWF said:

Great that DMS are looking after you with the servo!

I ordered a 135f servo from DMS yesterday and it arrived this morning.

I’ve got it in a driving state now, 16bl30, 2435 3900kv from Udirc with 19 tooth pinion.  It spins about the garage floor quite nicely.

Not been able to paint the body as it won’t stop raining.

I’ve got a couple of weeks, waiting for the 2838 motor to arrive, so hopefully we’ll see some dry mild weather before then, so I can put some paint on it.

All good!

Hope you get your’s running again soon.

Cheers

Their delivery service is good however it hasn't been quite plain sailing unfortunately with regards to a warranty claim. The replacement gear is coming directly from LC.

Hopefully your motor leaves china before their new year starts, mine took just over 2 weeks to arrives and that was over Christmas 

Edited by Alex97
  • Like 1

On 18/01/2023 at 20:00, MrCake said:

That Castle system was certainly rapid!  

Really hope the 2nd batch of these shows up soon.

Fingers crossed, hopefully it should be some time next week. Has everything else that you needed arrived?

• Like 1

Hi

I am in the process of fitting the motor and have decided to start with a 19t pinion, thinking that it should give good punch with a fair top speed, using a 4400kv motor?

Well, the combination Surpass 28mm diameter motor with 19t pinion wouldn’t move close enough for a good mesh with the spur gear, so I’ve made a slight modification, removing the thin web from the spur guard where it wraps around the gearbox input and filing a little off the gearbox casing.  It’s possible to get a good mesh down to an 18t pinion now, maybe even a17t.

This is what I found and with a Surpass 2838 motor, it might be different for you, but I’d check this before fitting the gearbox to the chassis, otherwise you might have to take it apart, as I did. The kit included 21t would mesh without this modification.

I originally had a 2435 motor in as a test, there were no problems there.

Hope this help’s somebody?

A6FFD43C-52D5-4DF5-9EFF-55F757315D6F.jpeg

Edited by SWF
Spelling
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, SWF said:

Hi

I am in the process of fitting the motor and have decided to start with a 19t pinion, thinking that it should give good punch with a fair top speed, using a 4400kv motor?

Well, the combination Surpass 28mm diameter motor with 19t pinion wouldn’t move close enough for a good mesh with the spur gear, so I’ve made a slight modification, removing the thin web from the spur guard where it wraps around the gearbox input and filing a little off the gearbox casing.  It’s possible to get a good mesh down to an 18t pinion now, maybe even a17t.

This is what I found and with a Surpass 2838 motor, it might be different for you, but I’d check this before fitting the gearbox to the chassis, otherwise you might have to take it apart, as I did. The kit included 21t would mesh without this modification.

I originally had a 2435 motor in as a test, there were no problems there.

Hope this help’s somebody?

A6FFD43C-52D5-4DF5-9EFF-55F757315D6F.jpeg

That's odd as my 28mm motor slotted stright in with plenty of room , when I'm home I'll have a look. 

I've seen a few more people reporting the same servo issue as I had. I reckon it's a design/ batch issue! 

• Like 1