• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Land Cruiser 70 build

cooper_xl

1 hour ago, Shergar said:

I like that gearbox @cooper_xl, off to google!

Not all are roses. Wait for developments in this soap opera 🙂 . I can tell that the gearbox looked promising but I didn't like the bores on the gears being  0.10 or 0.15mm bigger than they should. Doesn't seem much but in a 5mm hole, it's a lot. That play over all those gears, really adds up in the end. Machined 2 shafts oversized in the middle and the correct size for bearings at the ends.  Then, there's the mounting issue. There's 2 holes each side. The problem with the holes is that there's little material around them and they are just 3mm deep. You stick a slightly longer screw and it hits a gear inside. I've put epoxy around them and even applied helicoils with no luck . I think that the best way for a builder is to make a steel plate to be between the motor and the motor plate, and that plate be welded or screwed to the chassis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Major disappointment

Built the wheels around these hubs although they were  6 holes. While mounting a wheel, the nut went through .Upon closer inspection, hubs are bad designed as the nut tightens against a section that's only 0.4mm thick and have nothing behind.

Quality hubs wouldn't have that problem..live and learn(to not go after Aliexpress specials...) , I suppose.

Why didn't I've made my own 5 hole hubs? machining the 12mm hex shaped hole is the most challenging part to do.But,it doesn't need an hex, so designed my own hubs but for pin, machined from brass  Did the printed prototypes and lost 6mm on wheel to wheel width!

(By the way, the M3 threads come out pretty good, considering the size..used a tap to clean them though)

b4WbfeJh.jpg

NbK5shmh.jpg

Yde3fGbh.jpg

Kj0umESh.jpg

Still bummed for not thinking of this before making the wheels. 5 bolt wheels would be perfect

• Like 3

Tried something different and mounted a 17.5t sensored brushless I had for a while . It's a LRP so it should be good. Tried a 2s and seems that low RPMs are nice and there's no cogging . The problem was that the motor was so close of the servo that the sensor plug wouldn't fit...So I've returned to the old idea of having the servo next to the motor and did this new mount:

yl7XPnbh.jpg

OrpYOFgh.jpg

Rd7W35vh.jpg

Holds the servo, will hold the front of the body and is also the spacer for the gearbox. I think it looks cleaner

• Like 1

On 20/11/2022 at 12:15, cooper_xl said:

The 3D printed rims served their purpose so  machined a set in aluminium 

9vEOBXzh.jpg

mwOb0Vvh.jpg

ssCochNh.jpg

They were machined on a lathe and drilled on a drill press. There's a thin 12mm hex mount behind(5 bolts instead of 6 😞 ) and M2.5 scale bolts holding everything. The "hubs" are an eBay special that I've ordered for the Unimog but there stands out too much. I think it sits well here. 

I'm aiming for the stock TOYOTA steelie so they are painted silver. A fellow builder challenged to do the valve stems as a joke. Was something I didn't consider before and went for it. Nothing fancy, just M1 bolts with painted tips

8zaONzyh.jpg

uD6zEGZh.jpg

1M64v3dh.jpg

2z4iJ3Jh.jpg

Im in awe, those wheels are a work of art, im guessing the tyre valve is just for show and that you dont have inflatable tyres

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

Im in awe, those wheels are a work of art, im guessing the tyre valve is just for show and that you dont have inflatable tyres

Thanks!  I'm not at that level of working tire valves :)   they are M1 screws, in a hole threaded at an angle. Cut to size and to finish, a drop of black nail varnish to simulate the cap. Pretty happy with how the whole wheels turned out (except being 6 holes) 

• Like 1

Had to order offset rod-ends to do the steering link. Did this one like some trucks have, altough different to the real LC79s. It should have been BTA with a drag link on the front but lack of space didn't let me do that. 

VWpILDEh.jpg

KTXOhceh.jpg

Video:

https://i.imgur.com/77c3aO1.mp4

Edited by cooper_xl
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

This build is really taking shape, i hope my next build is half as good as this

Thanks! Believe in yourself and things will happen!

An idea came to mind today and did these bolts for the rear leafs

They are a bit rough but were made when I should be working in another things 🤫

H8M9nrTh.jpg

1Ht6msFh.jpg

Video:

https://i.imgur.com/9v31skI.mp4

These leaf springs shackles came with 4mm holes in one end(3mm on the other) and no matching hardware. And like the leaf holes are 4mm, thought on these "cheater" bolts that allow some rotation to help when flexing. I also shaved a little on the leaf ends. Don't know if was made before. It is a small bump in performance that doesn't hurt the looks

Edited by cooper_xl