• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless motor dead?

UKRobster

Could you guys help me to diagnose my brushless motor from my Granite BLX?

I fear the worse, but would like it confirmed.

It doesn't sound right and doesn't provide enough power to spin the wheels. 

I've removed it from the car and it doesn't rotate fast enough and sounds pretty bad. I've uploaded a video here 

Not sure if this is much help.

Is it terminal?

Edited by UKRobster
You tube link

Thought it was dead, was a bit worried the ESC may have been broken too.

Took the back off the motor today, not sure how else to take it apart.

Found a shim that was bent, but not sure if it's supposed to be like that.

I put it back together and fired it up. Still making horrible noises & then a whift of smoke appeared. 

Very broken!

I did reach out to Modelsport support to see if they are any other options. Car is 15 months old, this issue is probably not under warranty.

They offered to take a look at it if I post it to them.

Not really sure if it's worth doing. 

I've already ordered a replacement (not from Modelsport) 

I just don't understand what caused it. I ran it last Saturday, had to deplete a lipo that had been charged for too long.

Ran it on the road for about 10 mins. No jumps, no rain, no wheelies. Was working fine.

Went to use it on Thursday & it was like this.

What can cause a motor to die in such a way.

Is it mesh too tight? Water ingress into the motor? Too much dust? Too much bashing?

I just don't want to cause the same thing to happen in the future.

PXL_20221112_125103158.jpg

PXL_20221112_125117121.jpg

PXL_20221112_125139152.jpg

It might be the esc, before that tho assuming you checked all the cables and connections, pull the motor rotor out (the motor core) and a picture if possible, dont bin it yet, that shim is supposed to be like that so the rotor doesnt slop back and forward to much.
If the rotor dooeosnt have bits missing, it could the the esc.
Without seeing if the motors dead its hard to say why these things happen, to much heat, heavy landing on jumps, to tight a mesh etc.
Dust and water usually arnt an issue for brushless. If all 3 phase cables are not correctly connected it can cause cogging noises and usally the motor shakes (eg if you have 2 of the 3 wires connected) That didnt seem like what was happening here tho as the motor spun.

Not sure how to get the motor core out & I don't want to risk further damage if that's avoidable. 

Even if I get it apart myself, what would the possible fixes be? 

At this point, if there is a chance it can be saved. I'm wondering if posting it to Modelsport would actually be the best thing to do.

Have found a video on how to fully disassemble it.

It also shows how to change the front bearing, after checking to see if it is bad 

I'll have another go at stripping mine down to see if I can make any headway. 

Seems that the bearing is the only replaceable part.

10 hours ago, UKRobster said:

Not sure how to get the motor core out & I don't want to risk further damage if that's avoidable. 

Even if I get it apart myself, what would the possible fixes be? 

At this point, if there is a chance it can be saved. I'm wondering if posting it to Modelsport would actually be the best thing to do.

Probably not worth the expense posting it to them, pull the core out and inspect it, you cant damage it more, they are designed to be opened and maintained by hobbyists.
Does the esc drive other brushless motors if you have a spare car / motor to test it on? Otherwise could aways find a local hobbyshop to work on it with you.

Before dismantling it again, there was a bit of play when wiggling the shaft. But not too excessive. This seems as though the front bearing has failed.

Took the shaft out and & I'm not sure the photo picks it up fully. But the shaft is scoured somewhat. The casing seems to be scoured too.

No idea what this indicates? Nothing seemed to fall out, no debris or dust to speak of.

Have seen bearings to fit the front on eBay for about £5-6.

May be worth a punt!?

Haven't got anything else that I can test the esc with. Although I've a new motor due in the post in the next couple of days.

PXL_20221114_210303612.jpg

PXL_20221114_210406173.jpg

PXL_20221114_210437748.jpg

Edited by UKRobster
Typo
  • Like 1

Ok, so new motor turned up today.

Tested before fitting and it seemed to spin ok. Fingers crossed the ESC seems to be OK.

Have fitted it to the car but just as I finished it started tipping it down with rain. So I've only  managed to run the car up and down the garage a grand total of about 2 meters of space (amongst all the junk). But it sounded OK & seemed to drive normally.

Think I'll give a new bearing a shot on the old motor. Will update back in a few days after I've sourced and fitted one.

Found a suitable bearing on eBay - 5x16x5 metal shielded bearing for £2.28 delivered.

Have fitted it and put the motor back together. Only connected it to the car to test it works.

Needed a third hand to be able to video it. But it sounds like it's spinning ok again now.

Will try and get it the car out this week if the weather holds long enough.

With hindsight I probably didn't need to buy another motor in a hurry. But we live and learn 🤷

Edited by UKRobster
Added you tube link
  • Like 1