• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Options for a bodiless (mini) comp crawler in 2022

ninjagaiden

Folks

I'm in the mood for a smallish bodiless comp crawler for the winter. Something small enough to be fun indoors when the weather is pants, or in the back garden when weather is better.

Back in the day I had a 4WS GMade R1 - that was fun but a bit big and not as capable as the XR10 (which I should have bought at the time). I sold the R1 but did enjoy the build / conversion.

In lockdown I built a TRX4 sport. Loved the build but flipped that too. Again a bit too big.

I now have an Axial SCX24  - love it to bits as does my son. I could do the Furitek Scythe V2 conversion but I think I'd have to upgrade the motor too. Plus I'd like to keep the SCX24 as a scaler.

What are my options for a smallish bodiless comp crawler in 2022? I want something more capable than anything that I have had so far.

I like the looks of the ECX Temper Gen 2 which is 1:18. Just worried about swapping in 380 motor, ESC and RX when the chassis and axles mry not justify the upgrade cost.

Other than the Temper, there only seem to be the Gmade R1 and the RC4WD bully as comp crawler kits you can buy from new.

What would you suggest?

Tnx

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. It's nice the UTB18 Capra but quite a lot of sheets for a little thing.

I ended up getting a used Gen2 Torment for half the money of a Capra, and still enjoying it box stock 🙂

There should be more choice in mini comp crawlers - someone needs to plug the gap in the market.