• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC for a 7 year old…

noddy_2121

Hi all,

Can anyone please suggest a good 10th buggy for my 7 year old daughter?

Id like to go brushless but iv a feeling will be too fast. Is it possible to restrict the speed? I recall doing this on the nitros and petrol by adjusting the throttle servo rods but obviously not possible on electric. Would I need upgraded radio gear to do this?

Or should I look more at a brushed motor?

She wants a green body shell ideally.

Open to all suggestions.

Looking to spend between £150 and £200.

Thanks as always 

The Arrma mega range fits that budget quite well.

Specifically the 2x4 boost, Both the Granite (monster truck) and Senton (trophy truck) come in a green shell i believe for around £179 too, which includes a radio with an adjustable switch to regulate the max speed of the model. It is brushed though. 

In terms of buggy's alot of the tamiya range, tt02b or dt02 for example could be a good option. easy to put together, plenty of spares and modern-ish geometry. You could spec those out with whatever motor and esc you want for just under £200 and your daughter can choose whatever shade of green she desires. The downside with those is they are obviously nowhere near as durable as the arrma's and of course you'd have to factor a radio into your budget.

Edited by ljp83141

3 hours ago, noddy_2121 said:

Id like to go brushless but iv a feeling will be too fast. Is it possible to restrict the speed? I recall doing this on the nitros and petrol by adjusting the throttle servo rods but obviously not possible on electric. Would I need upgraded radio gear to do this?

Arrma rigs come with a Spektrum radio that has a slider to adjust throttle range. Options are 100%, 75% and 50%. 

At age 7, first RC, i'd probably go brushed. Plenty quick enough. 

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

I was focusing more on the boost range than the 4x4 to keep between £150 - £200.

Although my brain did a horrible job of wording the first sentence. 😅

Edited by ljp83141
  • Like 2

Fair enough, i understood it as "there's no Typhon Mega" - my bad. 

It's £224 at Appliance Electronics though, not hugely over budget. And you get a proper decent RC that ticks all the lasses boxes. And it's 1/8th rather than 1/10, easier to work on, easier to drive. So, much like the suggestion to you about the crawlers - if you can stretch to it.. 😉 😄

edit: https://www.applianceelectronics.co.uk/viewproduct/20457/arrma-typhon-v3-mega-550-ara4206v3bi

Free delivery too.

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Fair enough, i understood it as "there's no Typhon Mega" - my bad. 

It's £224 at Appliance Electronics though, not hugely over budget. And you get a proper decent RC that ticks all the lasses boxes. And it's 1/8th rather than 1/10, easier to work on, easier to drive. So, much like the suggestion to you about the crawlers - if you can stretch to it.. 😉 😄

Don’t forget the most important thing, it comes in green.😉

Edited by ljp83141
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...