• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Starter FPV drone

Nick

If your looking for the Dji fpv drone there’s one on drone junkyard atm for around £700 with 3 batteries….

iv seen the Dji fpv drone combo for as low as 600 

I would suggest if you haven’t done so already to go grab a controller (betafpv do one for £30) and have a go In a sim.

velocidrone or liftoff are the “go to” or if your on a lower spec machine the curry kitten fpv sim is a good starting point

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/02/2022 at 21:38, Nick said:

I think I'll still go for the DJI HD setup, it looks best suited for me. I'm still leaning towards an iFlight as well. Going to wait until March I think as this weather has been awful recently, last 3 weeks probably couldn't even fly a drone here! So plenty of time to keep reading and watching YouTube videos.

Did you get one?? 

I got a TinyHawk Freestyle 2 after watching YouTube videos and reviews......

My GOD people make flying these look easy.......

Don't know how the Dji fpv handles but after getting this I would NOT recommend a £1k+ drone setup for a first FPV as I would have smashed it up already lol... I would highly recommend starting on a small cheaper fpv setup first..... Seen people recommend the TinyWhoop as well.

Also as said get a controller and a sim as it handles just like the real thing near enough

I got a radiomaster t8 pro.

• Like 1

Not yet. :lol: I searched YouTube for the TinyHawk Freestyle and literally the first video is titled: "Why the Emax Tinyhawk Freestyle 2 is not for Beginners" :lol:

I'm still partly leaning towards the DJI FPV, just for the simplicity and to get into it - but I need to resurface my driveway, so it'll sadly have to wait! 😞

1 hour ago, Madmini said:

@Nick if you get the Dji fpv drone please post lots of pictures of the broken pile of plastic you have after your first flight…

honesly mate it’s the wrong call! 

The features make it a bit more user friendly and I can always take the DJI goggles to use on another frame.

You've got pretty strong opinions against it but this doesn't seem to resonate elsewhere online when I've been researching? Please share any videos or articles which might make me see more of this side of the debate.

Just go look at any of the fpv groups grass roots no one uses it. It’s got terrible parts support and is hugely expensive for consumables. You can’t get spares for it.

inthink Joshua bardwell Sums it up well in his video

im a huge fan of the digital video system but the quad itself is just not worth the money at all

As mentioned in previous posts the very best thing you can do before buying a quad is to just get a controller and spend time in a sim. Fpv can be really unforgiving of mistakes and as someone who learned when there were no sims it was expensive as hell….

Edited by Madmini

10 hours ago, Nick said:

Cheers @Madmini, to be honest the iFlight are not much different in price and I'd prefer a GoPro over the DJIs camera for aerial footage. I'll check them out again.

Are you 100% needing fpv?? Have you not thought about the DJI Mini 2 if your wanting something for aerial footage?? 

I  have the DJI Mini and it's miles easier and the camera footage is amazing