• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Too much play after changing cvd/driveshaft

Nerocircus

Hi all

finally received some upgrade parts for the kid’s cars. Only done the front driveshafts so far as I u sweat and I may need to mod the rears a little to prevent binding. 

one car done fine, all good, shocks replaced too for oil filled. 

the second car, one side is fine, but the other front seems to have a lot of play on it. Wondered if it was a discrepancy with the part itself so switched it with the other sides, but the problem remains on one side. 

Any thoughts as to what I’ve done wrong?

video hopefully explains what I mean. 

35D47E3E-C1E0-4543-AAD6-4B51E3A97504.png

Edited by Nerocircus

There is quite a big thread on these cars over in the mini and micro section. There was some mention of issues around upgrading to metal drive cups and CVDs a couple of weeks back so it may be worth asking in there to see if anyone can offer any pointers. 

However, in more recent posts @lorrylemming was talking about needing to drill out his drive cups to get some dog bones to sit properly so it might just be that the parts on these aren’t built to the best of tolerances. 

https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/245801-ftx-tracer-hbx-16890/?&page=7#comments

edit: I forgot to mention it may also be possible to add some shim washers around the bearings where the CVD output is mounted in the hub. This might take up the slack shown in your video. 

Edited by BigGinge

That looks like a failed wheel bearing ..... or else the axle is a poor fit in the bearing. But as you swapped them over and the problem didn;t swap.....it's not the axle.

The uprights is staying rock solid on the arms, but the axle is flopping about in the mount....and the only thing that should be keeping it stable is the bearing.

Take it apart, see if hte bearing is firmly fixed in place in the upright....and if it is, check for play in the bearing itself. Bearings get a hard life, and do need periodic replacement.

• Like 1

Almost certainly a bearing as Nitro says. Have a look if you're missing one or if one is damaged. These are the spares you need, not sure which size is correct for the front hubs though.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/ftx-tracer-1-16-rtr-monster-truck-orange-1332659/spares-2124/bearings?

Thanks for the response guys. I’ve already solved it with a fresh pair of eyes this morning, but you were correct - bearing related. Mostly in that I’ve been blind and stupid and not realised that the outside bearing wasn’t in place, must have dropped out when I was putting it back together. All sorted, can’t believe I didn’t notice this last night. 

started tackling the rears, and yes they do require drilling to prevent binding. Fronts need no modification.  One car done, but need a fresh drill bit to finish the other. 

never thought to post in the mini section, apologies if I’ve put this in obviously the wrong place. 

cheers again. Battery/charging related question coming up next 😂 

Edited by Nerocircus
  • Like 2