• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Power from 2 Stroke Engines

Monty_UK

Things have moved on since my first post 🙂 - I've got hold of a Reactive Pro 32cc tuned engine, supposedly puts out 8bhp

How would you compare this to the bigger bore engines Taylor RC makes - on thier site there's no detail on output power to allow you to compare the models he makes

Anyone got experience of my engine compared to the larger bore options

I've decided to build a Hybrid Outlaw

Thanks

Dyno curve tells you many things. Not just peak power.....but how well the motor gets there and how gearing tolerant it will be.

As an example, I had an Oddified unit, good old red-head job.... 6hp max on the dyno from a 26cc unit. Not bad...but the dyno print showed a really smooth and progressive power delivery. Anyone can grab a file and open up ports. You can get peak power that way....but end up with a narrow power band and a knife edged peak. You want the peak to hold up and not just drop, as if you slightly under gear and rev past peak power....you will run into instability.  Similarly...an all or nothing 6hp will get you wheelspin or bog down...usually resulting in owners fitting stupidly strong clucth springs so the engine is screaming when it bites.

It takes a lot more skill, patience and time to get smooth power delivery with a broad peak....and I don;t know to what extent either of the motors in the OP post cover those bases. For most uses, peak power is relative. As long as it feels fast enough, then it is. But if I was going to spend a lot of money on an engine, I would want to know more than just a max power figure plucked out of thin air.  I have seen a lot of power figures plucked out of the air for various kits.....and often the results didn;t match the claims.