• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Diy link material?

Ross9999992

Hey guys.

I know there’s at least a couple of modders on here…so…whatcha using to make your own links?

Looking to make some custom links for the recently acquired ravine.

I have a bunch of m4 rod ends coming but struggling to decide on rod material.

Easiest to get options I can seem to find are B&Q m4 threaded rod and their 6mm aluminium tube as a sleeve or potentially some 6mm delrin/acetal rod which I’d drill the ends of and shove some of that same threaded rod in?

Sound about right? Any better suggestions? 

Cheers 👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by Ross9999992

8 hours ago, Ross9999992 said:

Hey guys.

I know there’s at least a couple of modders on here…so…whatcha using to make your own links?

Looking to make some custom links for the recently acquired ravine.

I have a bunch of m4 rod ends coming but struggling to decide on rod material.

Easiest to get options I can seem to find are B&Q m4 threaded rod and their 6mm aluminium tube as a sleeve or potentially some 6mm delrin/acetal rod which I’d drill the ends of and shove some of that same threaded rod in?

Sound about right? Any better suggestions? 

Cheers 👍🏻👍🏻

So it depends what you are going to do with it; If you want to bend them, if you want them light, if you can cut threads...

Personally I usually get stainless steel or Titanium rod then cut a thread on and then bend them if I want to for that application...

I have also used carbon rod for uppers before, drilled the rod end out then glued the rod on - obviously one has to have worked out finished length first..

As you have suggested, sleeved rod or delrin would work... Alternatively buy some pre tapped Ali links from china..

1 hour ago, TWINSET said:

Yup, 6mm tube with 4mm studding is a lot easier than trying to centre-drill delrin

linkmake016.jpg.e9a96fdee1855767341a0565ddbd84ab.jpg

aDSC_0061.JPG.2f4b133901852cc694133d4fcb00e8a1.JPG

Get yourself one of these to cut tubing accurately

Shouldn't cost more than a tenner at Amazon, or Screwfix do 'em cheap

linkmake001.jpg.d574afec994a9af57393e26a5e00aa32.jpg

This exactly mate, @TWINSET is bang on the money, use the exact same stuff from B&Q (when they have stock) for the last ten or so years and always worked well in every application.

if you want to do a bend, either do it with the rod in if not use some sand to fill up the tube before bending, stops it collapsing on itself.

go for it mate :good:

Excellent, cheers. That’s exactly what I wanted to hear. Also cheers for the links @TWINSET  I was planning on just going hacksaw but for £3 I’ll just grab one of those screwfix cutters 👍🏻

2 hours ago, stimpy said:

If you want to bend them, if you want them light, if you can cut threads...

Yes I do (high clearance lowers and steering links), not particularly (could use some extra weight from what I can tell) and no…hadn’t needed a tap and die ever before so don’t own one yet.

So yeah just looking to do some bent lowers for now mostly - why are straight links even a thing, specially on a moa? It has the y link thing for the uppers so unsure if I can just swap that out for dual links or if that would just make things all wobbly?

Will also replace the front/rear steering/drag links because yeah why not 😁

1 hour ago, Gaz! said:

if you want to do a bend, either do it with the rod in

Yeah not looking forward to the bending but I was thinking I’d shove the (slightly over length) rod through and then do it…some sort of 3 pin bodge job in one of these little vices I have I reckon 👍🏻

• 2 weeks later...

I use m3 all thread rod. Then 4x3mm steel tube for uppers and m4 rod with 4x5mm tube for lowers. Works well. Cheap and easy to make.  Now im making titanium links. Much better. Lighter and stronger. Have to cut your own threads but not hard once you know how. And surprisingly cheap too