• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC advice

245jhy

2 minutes ago, Ross9999992 said:

As the op has ordered a granite now I guess we are ok to talk waffle here 😂

But yeah I know what you are saying, I’ve been through a few buggies, truggies and mt’s myself and well yeah…the hyper 7 that’s older than my son (18) is still with me (and a few others but you know the hyper is the favourite) 👍🏻

I waited for OP to get the advice before de-railing 😂 I just sold my hypers but that's because losi 8ight has taken pole position, with that said there's no way I trust the 8ight to bash like a Hyper 7 without a big bill being presented. 

3 hours ago, Bert_w164 said:

As you've been on the journey, how did you find truggy handling compared to buggy? I.e. in the air, what's the difference? 

I've always wondered if I need to complete the 8ight line up with a truggy, I have mini8, buggy 8, LST (not an 8ight, but an 1/8 MT) so based on what you say it may be motivation to complete the line up 😁

Buggies handle better. Especially your Losi, its a race buggy. You can control a Truggy easier in the air in my opinion (bigger tyres, more rotational mass to help you correct). That said. A buggy needs less in air correction. 

I think what youve said, youd try something like a Kraton and find it cumbersome. However I think youd enjoy a Tekno ET48 or a Losi 8T-E. 

I kinda agree if you have an MT and a 1:8th Buggy you dont need a Truggy. 

I had an RB One R E and a Tekno EB48.3. Theyre both extremely high end race buggies. I sold them cause they were just too perfect to bash if that makes sense. They were too precise and good to be fun (IMO). They were fast, strong, everything perfect on paper. But they need to be on a race track. Not an open field or a skate park

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Buggies handle better. Especially your Losi, its a race buggy. You can control a Truggy easier in the air in my opinion (bigger tyres, more rotational mass to help you correct). That said. A buggy needs less in air correction. 

I think what youve said, youd try something like a Kraton and find it cumbersome. However I think youd enjoy a Tekno ET48 or a Losi 8T-E. 

I kinda agree if you have an MT and a 1:8th Buggy you dont need a Truggy. 

I had an RB One R E and a Tekno EB48.3. Theyre both extremely high end race buggies. I sold them cause they were just too perfect to bash if that makes sense. They were too precise and good to be fun (IMO). They were fast, strong, everything perfect on paper. But they need to be on a race track. Not an open field or a skate park

That makes perfect sense, the 8-4 isn't something I want to treat like a hyper at all. 8T-E is exactly what I was thinking about, but then the Mrs wants something different. I think you may have just peaked our interest in a EB48...

Thanks dude, that's legit helpful and informative.

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 1

Helped build my mate a Tekno 8te a few years back. Is an impressive bit of kit to be fair but I just prefer the cheapness and bashability of a h7. That said if I had to choose a 2nd not a h7 i would take an 8ight-b (totally not the reason my richer mate went for the 8te at all - and he doesn’t have a buggy or a mt 😂) as they were known to be good bashers back then.

Can’t comment on the best race bred stuff because you can race a basher but unless you have deep pockets generally don’t want to bash a racer (and i don’t have deep pockets 😘) so have never owned any.

• Like 1

I'm going to run the brushed motor for a while with a 2s lipo. I've done a little research and appears the standard brushless motors burn out quickly. Would adding a fan with heat sinc help keep this alive for a little longer until upgrading the motor or going brushless? Unless anyone knows of another motor that could bolt straight over? 

5 minutes ago, 245jhy said:

I'm going to run the brushed motor for a while with a 2s lipo. I've done a little research and appears the standard brushless motors burn out quickly. Would adding a fan with heat sinc help keep this alive for a little longer until upgrading the motor or going brushless? Unless anyone knows of another motor that could bolt straight over? 

I wouldnt waste money on buying a fan or another brushed motor. For what itll cost youll be halfway to a brushless system 

• Like 1

Send it, till it cooks the motor and then sell the ESC on eBay and buy a hobbywing brushless ESC and any brushless motor that fits the bill. 

I'm not entirely clued up on brushed motors but my understanding is there's a limited lifespan due to friction/wear of the carbon brushes. 

@Kpowell911 is spot on 👍🏽

My used when I got it brushed ruckus has had a bunch of packs through it and still runs fine. I’d just stick with it until you want more speed or it dies and then get a cheap China brushless combo…between gearing and transmitter settings you can get practically the same performance with better reliability (or potentially much greater performance) from that without much effort/cost 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Bert_w164 said:

Send it, till it cooks the motor and then sell the ESC on eBay and buy a hobbywing brushless ESC and any brushless motor that fits the bill. 

I'm not entirely clued up on brushed motors but my understanding is there's a limited lifespan due to friction/wear of the carbon brushes. 

@Kpowell911 is spot on 👍🏽

That was my understanding also, I will get my 2s battery then and wait for the standard brushless motor to bite the dust 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

I wouldnt waste money on buying a fan or another brushed motor. For what itll cost youll be halfway to a brushless system 

It will give me a very good excuse to upgrade to the brushless motor on it 😎

2 hours ago, Ross9999992 said:

My used when I got it brushed ruckus has had a bunch of packs through it and still runs fine. I’d just stick with it until you want more speed or it dies and then get a cheap China brushless combo…between gearing and transmitter settings you can get practically the same performance with better reliability (or potentially much greater performance) from that without much effort/cost 👍🏻

From videos I've seen the granite looks like it may need a brushless upgrade as I will most likely want a bit more power and fun from it. Its partly why I opted for it, it appears to be a robust vehicle and just needs so brushless attention in the future

Can anyone point me in the right direction for adapter cables? The arrma appears to have an IC3 cable according to there website. Most of the 2S batteries I've found have an Xt60 connector. Which adapters would be recommended as I want to order a 2s and charger soon. 

Are you planning to have more than one RC car? I based my connector block on what I saw readily available/suitable for more power down the line which for me turned out to be XT90 and now just buy batteries based on whoever offers the most value for money and solder my own blocks on.  

So going by YouTube linky ec3 fits into xt60…and if ic3 = new ec3 then maybe ic3 fits xt60 (looking at the picture it might) worst case - this kinda thing or this kinda thing (standard practice is females on batteries)…best case - it fits…alternate option - learning to solder comes in very handy in this hobby 👍🏻

222B87F2-D7E9-47D5-A574-18D33C5F14DF.png

Edited by Ross9999992
Forgot the picture
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bert_w164 said:

Are you planning to have more than one RC car? I based my connector block on what I saw readily available/suitable for more power down the line which for me turned out to be XT90 and now just buy batteries based on whoever offers the most value for money and solder my own blocks on.  

Knowing how I am..... Yes i will probably have multiple 🤣 I'd found a few in amazon for good value, with good reviews and ratings

4 hours ago, Ross9999992 said:

So going by YouTube linky ec3 fits into xt60…and if ic3 = new ec3 then maybe ic3 fits xt60 (looking at the picture it might) worst case - this kinda thing or this kinda thing (standard practice is females on batteries)…best case - it fits…alternate option - learning to solder comes in very handy in this hobby 👍🏻

222B87F2-D7E9-47D5-A574-18D33C5F14DF.png

Thank you very much, I was having a right game getting to the bottom of which connectors were compatible. I will order the battery I wanted and look to solder the joints on or get a few of the connector adapters as spare 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Last question I promise 🤣 I'm about to order the overlander 10 amp charger setup. I cannot seem to find information suggesting if I will need connectors leads to charge the supplied Nimh battery that comes as standard with the granite? I plant to use this and then order a 2s once all up and running next week or so. 

This is the charger Overlander VSR-Mini+ 10A 100W AC Balance Charger 0003353
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/overlander-vsr-mini-10a-100w-ac-balance-charger-437389

I did see overlander have a multi selection pack of charge leads and didn't know if best way to go. 

Edited by 245jhy

2 hours ago, 245jhy said:

Last question I promise 🤣 I'm about to order the overlander 10 amp charger setup. I cannot seem to find information suggesting if I will need connectors leads to charge the supplied Nimh battery that comes as standard with the granite? I plant to use this and then order a 2s once all up and running next week or so. 

This is the charger Overlander VSR-Mini+ 10A 100W AC Balance Charger 0003353
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/overlander-vsr-mini-10a-100w-ac-balance-charger-437389

I did see overlander have a multi selection pack of charge leads and didn't know if best way to go. 

That only comes with a Deans connector so you will need to order whatever one is on your Granite as I doubt its a Deans. Or solder your own on

• Like 1

Item description says that…should come with that…

xt60 or deans without needing other leads. From your post up there a bit @245jhy it looks like you are happy to solder so again worst case is chop the deans off and change it for your connector of choice 👍🏻

79097B3F-57FA-43FF-8087-1F202EBB5ED4.jpeg

ABA929C9-CEF8-4695-BBBB-28B9A531E57F.jpeg

• Like 1