• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/8 Corvette Stingray custom RC build thread

Tucker427

Hey guys, I will be documenting my custom build here. It's a work in progress, so the end result could differ from what I have in mind right now, but that's what makes a build fun. I'm in the process of getting all the parts needed for the build. The body needs work to iron out any imperfections and make it a wide body. The body is from a vintage 1/8 Revell kit. The supercharger is from a 1/8 Dodge Charger kit. The supercharger is a little oversized for 1/8 but in the world of custom rides, anything goes. 

20210904_062533.jpg

20210904_062655.jpg

Edited by Tucker427
Image edit
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tucker427 said:

Hey guys, I will be documenting my custom build here. It's a work in progress, so the end result could differ from what I have in mind right now, but that's what makes a build fun. I'm in the process of getting all the parts needed for the build. The body needs work to iron out any imperfections and make it a wide body. The body is from a vintage 1/8 Revell kit. The supercharger is from a 1/8 Dodge Charger kit. The supercharger is a little oversized for 1/8 but in the world of custom rides, anything goes. 

20210904_062533.jpg

20210904_062655.jpg

That body shell looks amazing mate.

• Thanks 1

My vintage Kyosho turbo rocky was once used in a truck build and now gets another life as a muscle car. The width of the wheels will fit nicely and the motor will sit just behind the driving seat, as I do want to implement a driver figure.  Will have road shocks fitted of course.

20210904_114642[1].jpg

20210904_114505[1].jpg

• Like 2

Started work on making this vette a wide body, touring car wide. Should make it at least 230mm wide. Starting with one application of milliput to get the rough shape, let that set (still setting..) then I will go over it with a 2nd application. Will repeat this on all wheel arches and finish with filler and sanding.

20210905_151806.jpg

20210905_151658.jpg

Edited by Tucker427
image edit
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My first time experience using a brushless motor today. I had the chassis on the work top, raised so the tyres have about 2 inch clearence and then give it some throttle. Boy was I impressed with power and I'm only using a 7.2v NiMH pack.  Startred to smell burning rubber and thought it must be the speed controller. Moved the car and seen burnt rubber on my work top, was confused. I'm stood over the car so I didn't see the tyres ballooning lol Never seen this with a brusshed motor. I don't plan on using a Lipo battery for my car due to risk of fire, etc. Don't want the battery to destroy all my work!

• Like 1

To my delight, everything is lining up and fits like it was meant to be. I'm going with cream leather for the interior and maybe metallic blue for the body. Also need some of those chrome pens for detailing. The wide body is looking good mounted on the chassis, it's just screaming to be completed!

20210924_145130.jpg

20210924_144904.jpg

Edited by Tucker427
typo
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...