• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Joysway Sea Drifter issue

damowom

I have just received a Joysways Sea Drifter and its works fine out of the water and runs great, but as soon as I place in the water it stops , if Pull the controller trigger it works in bursts only not all the time like it should and do out of the water?

the person I got it off has a plane ESC on it but said it was working fine as tested in and out of water before packing up.

Transmitter and received I am using is from another boat I have and know its works.

any help on this would be grateful

6 minutes ago, damowom said:

I have just received a Joysways Sea Drifter and its works fine out of the water and runs great, but as soon as I place in the water it stops , if Pull the controller trigger it works in bursts only not all the time like it should and do out of the water?

the person I got it off has a plane ESC on it but said it was working fine as tested in and out of water before packing up.

Transmitter and received I am using is from another boat I have and know its works.

any help on this would be grateful

can you get it to run slow in the water without cutting out   also is your battery ok

Yes if I pull the trigger slowly it will run to a point and stop every time, but if out of the water it will run when i pull the trigger all the way quickly or slowly.

battery was fully charged and works fine on the other boat I used.

5 minutes ago, damowom said:

Yes if I pull the trigger slowly it will run to a point and stop every time, but if out of the water it will run when i pull the trigger all the way quickly or slowly.

battery was fully charged and works fine on the other boat I used.

well it is either the battery motor or ESC  if it was working like the seller says  then it is your battery  but i would say to ESC could be under powered    do you know what motor it is

you could try cleaning the motor/esc plugs  as that sometimes solves a issue like your having.  otherwise look at esc settings for lipo cutoff  see if it can be turned off then try again as lipo might not be good enough.

36 minutes ago, damowom said:

battery using are lipo 11.1V 2200mah 25c which work fine on my Claymore 50 

and guessing looking they should be fine for this boat as well.

not sure how to do setting on the esc ? 

Look online for esc settings  if that fails then contact the seller

Your system would appear to be basically OK ...but failing under any kind of load. Can happen for a number of reasons.....

1) When you power up the ESC ... it should beep to tell you the voltage it's set up to. So for 3S .... it should beep 3 times. Or flash 3 times...or give you some form of signal to tell you it's voltage setting. If the thing is detecting wrongly, and thinks your running 4S not 3....then the slightest voltage drop could trigger the low voltage cutoff. The old Hobbywing Xerun ESCs were bad at autodetecting odd cell packs, and I would have t o manually set it for 5S running. Autodetect would think I was on 6S, and cut the power immediately.

2) You got physical electrical connections not making properly, resutling in a voltage problem. Clean and check them all.

3) When you say it stops when you put it in the water....does the motor still spin? Problems with prop and driveshafts can work under no load...then slip when the prop has to do some work.

could also be the battery pack not coping with the load. You say it runs well in another vehicle.....but what vehicle is that. It may be a lot less stressful for the battery pack.

• Like 1

Thanks

battery  is a 3s 2200 35c I was using on this , so maybe have to go higher.

Other boat is a claymore 50 

It did peep 6 times on turn on as just tried it.

Using a turbo racing transmitter and matching receiver . image.thumb.jpg.9fbfcdcdc1bca4e231f1750e337766f5.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by damowom

If you can find any manual or similar for hte ESC...I would check that. 6 beeps makes it sound like the thing has been set to a 6S battery..... but I don;t know the ESC you have, so could be wrong.

But that would explain why it cuts as soon as you load it, as the thing will be assuming your battery voltage is too low, and hitting LVC