• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Buying first RC truck/monster truck advice on these two models please!

akhibhrat58

Hi all. I am new to RC, and I am looking at these to RTR models the Redcat Blackout XTE PRO 1/10 Electric 4wd Monster Truck and the Arrma Granite 4x4 Mega Monster Truck RTR. I will just be driving around my yard which consists of a lot of gullys on dirt, some grass and gravel and will be able to make as many jumps or what not as I want. I like these because of the big wheels. I originally wanted to get a Tamiya tt02 impreza but I think its not really designed for rally style racing in the yard! I know if I get the Aarma i should upgrade to lipo (i assume hardcase from hobbyking or do I have to buy specially an aarma lipo) and the brushless is a good upgrade on the Redcat th https://1921681001.id/ at will cost me alot more to up https://19216811.cam/ grade in the future on the Aarma. I am going to do more offroading than I am going to do "speed". I am also willing to look at other options and recommendations for a first time buyer, everything included in the package sort of deal. I don't really think I will "grow" further into the hobby, it just felt like a fun thing to get while drinking a few beers in the yard. Thanks all.

Edited by akhibhrat58

Hello,

out of the two, I would personally go for the arrma. Does depend where you live though, as parts are quite readily available for Arrma in the uk. This is something to consider when selecting a brand/truck!

as for brushless, it’s by far the preferred choice for both power output and capacity, but you will need to read up on how to use and store them safely. It is worth spending some money on a good quality charger too if going lipo, as balance /storage charge cycles will vary dramatically depending on the capabilities of your chosen model.

• Like 1

The Granite every time. Solid truck - only weak spot is the shocks can leak a little on heavier bashing but the rest is proper soldier material. ( I do have a BLX version for sale in the  appropriate section btw). 

Lipo is a great upgrade if you can afford it and the correct charger. Don't forget a charging bag too. Adds lots more run time and better power. I would never consider going back!..

One thing; you mention wanting to offload more than speed or bash?. If that was the case then a crawler or rock racer type rig may suit better - but certainly with the right gearing an MT can do that.

👍