• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

E Revo 2.0 newbie

Hi everyone

I've been lurking on the site for a few months now without actually owning an RC 😂.

I got my son a little FTX tracer a few months back and wanted to get myself something as well so we could use them together but I didn't want to buy brand new as he may get bored of it very quickly as he does with everything else he starts.  So i've been looking for a couple of months for something used in my price range and finally managed to pick up an e revo 2.0 for a really good price.

The reason it was such a good price was that it had previously been in an accident and the guy had rebuilt it but I don't think he was happy with it as it still needed more work.  I thought this would be a good idea to buy as it sounded like it needed work i could possibly do and would mean I could try and do it to get my knowledge up on how these things work as I don't have any prior knowledge of RC cars other than the RTR ones that where out in the 90's which where a lot less complicated than they are now.

So the problems with the car are the suspension, it seems to have no rebound at all so not sure if the oil just needs topped up or if there is something wrong with them.  I took one off yesterday to inspect it and to my untrained eye it looked ok.  I'll take them all off and check them and then fill them up with some new oil.  I am not sure if the springs are too hard or if it's down to the alloy arms he has put on it after the crash, I would imagine these are much heavier than the stock plastic ones.  Any suggestions on this and what springs I should use?  I've seen people say blue and silver springs with 70wt oil, is that still the go to set up?  Also I've seen a lot of people using the limiting straps are these a good idea and if so where do you get them, I've tried all the UK sites that I know off and none seem to have them.

He also said the diff was making a noise (he didn't say which one) and I haven't had a chance to run the car yet as was waiting on batteries charging but he also said he had changed the gearing so I am thinking I should maybe check this first and make sure it's meshed properly?  I will probably gear it down as he has it geared with 70 MPH gears and I'll mostly be using it off-road and guessing a lesser gearing would be better?  Is this the first place you guys would start to check for the possible diff issues?

I'll probably have a load more questions for you guys as I am a complete novice and I didn't realise how complicated the E revo suspension was to set up properly 😂

Cheers

Gary

Ok so got batteries charged and controller bound and took a couple of videos of it sitting on a box as I’ve not refitted the shock I took off as waiting on oil arriving.

It won’t let me post the videos as to big for the forum, is there another way I can do it?

8 minutes ago, Gwalker124 said:

Ok so got batteries charged and controller bound and took a couple of videos of it sitting on a box as I’ve not refitted the shock I took off as waiting on oil arriving.

It won’t let me post the videos as to big for the forum, is there another way I can do it?

Upload to YouTube, post the link here

7 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Get it back together and take it for a run at a decent speed, you cant tell much from those videos, seems fine?

Yeah I plan to do that once the oil arrives and I can rebuild the shocks. The meshing on the pinion and spur was too tight. Took the housing off and tried to rotate the spur and it kept getting stuck so I moved the engine mount slightly and pinion and spur seem to be moving freely. I am going to change pinion and spur as it’s geared quite high and probably not good for off-road but want to give it a run about first to see if there is anything else wrong.

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Get rid of the ally arms, they'll cause more harm than good. 

Yeah I did think they might and seem really heavy. I’ll try get it up and running first then start to change things like gearing and arms. I guess rpm arms are the way to go? Are the arms easy enough to change. I had a quick look at taking them off last night but wasn’t sure where to start 🤣

Thanks I had read that about alloy arms that it just moves the pressure onto other components so will defo swap them out as soon as I can. Nowhere seems to have the rear rpm arms just now which is annoying. I’ll maybe just buy traxxas ones for now until I can get a hold of rpm ones!  Thanks for the advice! 

Ok so put the shocks back together with 70wt oil but still not 100% sure they are right as no matter what I done I still couldn’t get the piston to rebound when pushing it right in. Not sure if it should but my understanding is that it should. 

I gave it another quick test in the garden after messing about with the pinion and spur mesh and not sure if it’s right or not as it does seem to make quite a lot of clunky noises but maybe that cause it’s a metal spur?

noticed that the when the car is on its back and not under load the steering seems to work fine but as soon as you put it on it’s wheels there is very little steering movement, could be cause of the excess weight of the arms or it could just be the servos have gone. What is a good servo for the single servo conversion? 

a took a little video but as I had to film and drive it’s very poor quality but you should be able to hear the noise I am talking about 😂

https://youtube.com/shorts/AxZIyspFnXg?feature=share

What does it sound like at full throttle? Its going to be noisy and clunky at low speed like in the 

video?

Wouldnt worry too much about the wheels not turning when stationary, thats normal with the stock servos as theyre not great. Id definately recommend the single servo though, whats your budget?

Well I tried to take it to full throttle and it looks like it’s fried the esc 😂 all the lights blinking red after one run at full throttle so looks like I’ll be replacing that (so didn’t get a chance to see what it sounded like at full throttle 😂).  I guess its better to go with something other than traxxas? Max 8? I have traxxas batteries and charger so ideally I’d like to stay with those connectors if possible but not sure you can get the max 8 with traxxas connectors?

I didn’t have a budget in mind for the servo to be honest just whatever would be best for doing the conversion. Don’t want to be spending fortunes but willing to pay for a decent one that’s good enough. The traxxas one that’s like £90 seems like a straight replacement but not sure it’s worth the money they want for it. 

I thought that maybe the answer re the esc, would it be worth buying a combo with a new motor as well?  I’ve seen a few combo deals but kv stuff on the motors doesn’t make much sense to me at the moment.  Any recommendations on a servo as I am pretty clueless about all of this  🤣

thanks for your help by the way, trying to learn as much as I can from you tube etc but a lot of the stuff on there assume a level of knowledge that I don’t have just yet… so your input and help is really appreciated!

I had a Max 8/2200kv combo in mine that worked well but you dont really need the motor. 

Im a big fan for the high end Savox Servos, and run a 2292, but its not cheap and not waterproof and theres definately other choices out there. As long as its 20kg+ and 0.10sec or faster Id say youll be good. 

Technically, the stock Radio can only handle 6.0v BEC (you can run 7.4v on the ESC) so bare that in mind when looking at your servo

Edited by Kpowell911

Ok thanks.

sorry total newbie question but what bec? Does this mean I’d need to run an esc with 6v or would I need to programme the esc or something? Sorry this is probably a really stupid question but never heard of bec before 🤣

BEC is short for battery elimination cct i believe

It negates the need for a separate receiver battery in the car and yes in some esc's you can program the bec to be more than 6v 

Ok so does that mean if the max 8 esc runs at 7.4v and the servo is also a 7.4v the radio won’t be able to power the servo as it’s only 6v. 

I guess I would need to run the esc in 6v and run a servo of 6v as well for it all to work with each other?

Aw ok that’s makes a bit more sense to me now thanks. By the sounds of it I probably need to be looking for a servo that’s 6v max then otherwise I’d be paying for an expensive servo to not get the full benefit out of it. 

1 hour ago, Gwalker124 said:

Aw ok that’s makes a bit more sense to me now thanks. By the sounds of it I probably need to be looking for a servo that’s 6v max then otherwise I’d be paying for an expensive servo to not get the full benefit out of it. 

I didnt mean to complicate but more if youre only running at 6.0v BEC, make sure the servo specs I suggested are avaliable at 6.0v

Ha ha no worries it’s all good stuff to learn, I’ll do some investigation and see what I can pull together as best options…. There does seem to be a max 8 with traxxas connectors but they are out of stock or much more expensive than just xt90 connectors for some reason.