• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

I want to add ESC and change the transmitter/receiver

r1s8k

Hi,

I bought this rc car and I want to modify it.

1:12 60Km/h RC Remote Control Off Road Cars

1. I want a long duration run time which means more capacity batter > this one has 3000 mAh nimh 6 cells 7.2v.

2. I want a long range control which means I have to change the transmitter + receiver modules > I'm thinking of using nRF2401 + Arduino nano. There are a lot of tutorials for diy.

3. Variable speed which means I have to buy ESC, but my question about this one is can I buy any ESC or I have to buy certain module ?

4. Variable steering = adding a servo.

Any tips or advices ?

Edited by r1s8k
adding information

7 hours ago, r1s8k said:

Hi,

1. I want a long duration run time which means more capacity batter > this one has 3000 mAh nimh 6 cells 7.2v.

2. I want a long range control which means I have to change the transmitter + receiver modules > I'm thinking of using nRF2401 + Arduino nano. There are a lot of tutorials for diy.

3. Variable speed which means I have to buy ESC, but my question about this one is can I buy any ESC or I have to buy certain module ?

Any tips or advices ?

Is that not a toy grade RC with a PCB as opposed to replaceable electronics?

• Like 1

Yeah, looks like you might be a lot better off going with a whole new car rather than trying to make that one anything more than it is.

Something like one of these (with extra batteries to get an extended run time) may be a good place to start and will have a little more scope for allowing upgrades in the future if that's what you want:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/ftx-tracer-1-16-rtr-truck-blue-1332658

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001652728404.html

• Like 2

18 hours ago, r1s8k said:

Hi,

Any tips or advices ?

.that trucks going to be absolutely dire. & replacing the stock electrics with proper oneself be a pain in the bum too. Have a look at some hobby grade ones 

• Like 1

OK.....so you wanna go ahead and do this..... well I get the challenge 🙂

Here's what I would suggest.

1) Get a proper RC transmitter and receiver. These can be had pretty cheaply really, with something like a FlySky GT2 costing about £25 new. You would probably save a few ££££ getting a ussed one. Maybe slap a wanted add up in the sales/wanted section for a cheap transmitter and receiver. Hobbyists tend to accumlate these things and you can often get very cheap ones. I wouldn't go with Arduino...as if you get other hobby grade parts, it will be a lot simpler to stick with stuff that was designed to work together without modification, and if you do end up getting a hobby grade kit....it will drop straight in.

2) Steering is going to need a proper servo. Again, this won;t need a fancy servo but if you buy cheap....it may not last, and may not be a long term value purchase. Something like this would get you started ... https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/core-rc-9016mg-servo-9kg-.16-sec-388927

3) This is where it gets more expensive....if you let it. Now, you could go for brushless and Lipo ...and be very fast. Or...you could stick with the stock motor ( if it's brushed ) and just get a decent ESC to power it. I would guess its a brushed motor which could be powered by something like this:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-quicrun-1060-brushed-waterproof-esc-sbec-404964

This would let you run LiPo batteries, better motors and higher voltages.

4)Battery. You could go LiPo battery for more power and speed....but you will need to obtain a suitable charger. It can fit in the space your old battery lived...but it's a step up you may not be able to take.

All of the above would drop nicely onto a Tamiya kit or similar.

Now....there will be issues. LOTS of issues.....so lets look at a few of them:

1) Motor. You may well not be able to put in a bigger motor. which will limit your speed. If you can fit a bigger motor, you may not be able to adjust the gearing to suit any changes you make. Hobby grade cars are designed to have the gearing varied to suit motor/battery options. Getting gearing right is essential for motor/ESC life and to get decent performance. Your motor will also get hot, and there may not be adequate cooling. Not only would this wreck the motor...it could potentially damage the plastic chassis too.

2) Space. You have to fit this stuff in. The stock toy grade parts will be on a siomple circuitboard. A hobby grade ESC will take up a lot more room, as it will have heat sinks etc.  to cope with the heat generated. You will have to find spaces to put the things you are going to fit...and that may not be easy. Be prepared to cut/modify a lot to clear out the real estate you will need. Same for the steering. A servo will take up a lot more space than the makers provided for. You will also have to rig up a steering linkage and make sure it can all operate smoothly. Then you have to makle mountings for them all so it stays in place. Hot gluing stuff down won;t cut it. The hobby grade receiver is another thing that will take up space. Don;t forget to allow for wiring!

3) If you can;t change the motor/gearing....you are not going to go any faster than before. Upping battery voltage or going LiPo power, with a better ESC will all give you very little if you can;t modify the gearing to suit. You'll just spin the motor faster, wear it out sooner, create heat issues.....and...well....it will be a short livedf project.

• Like 1