• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What you buying with £200?

Malachite

1 minute ago, Scottyb said:

But after my experience with an FTX (carnage), i should have waited and bought the Hyper instead. If you can get one pre-owned, mine was £250 after i bought the Max8 for it

I totally hear you, I’m just operating within the brief. 

Also I think it’s important to operate within personal tastes and aesthetics - truggies and buggies (with the exception of old skool true scale buggies like Tomahawks, Scorpions, Rough Riders etc)  leave me absolutely cold, so I knew I always wanted a semi scale U4 or truck. 

The “best” buy is pointless if you don’t actually like it much, it won’t get used. 

• Like 2

My take on the Outlaw, i really did not like the brushed version, its the wifes and i was forever fixing it, motors, esc`s short run time ect ect but she likes it so i ended up getting a well priced used brushless one and its been spot on, motor is sweet it gives decent run time on a 5200mah 2s lipo but the body shell cracks just about every where, when i do a new shell for her it will get scrim tape and shoo goo to try and make it strong

fairy.JPG

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

The stock brushed model really is very disappointing - but it gives you the budget to upgrade the chassis, bumper, cheap brushless combo and a few other bits and still have change from your £200

For my money it was the best looking “semi scale” model for the budget and simply looks awesome in motion, I’ve a whole bunch of different cars but my Outlaw remains my go to as it’s simply so much fun. 

Do you have links to those upgrades you recommend?

20 minutes ago, Malachite said:

Do you have links to those upgrades you recommend?

Alloy chassis plate

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtdjElL

Zorro bumper, for which you’ll need some 20mm m3 screws to install it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ftx-Zorro-Front-Bumper-Set-FTX6953-/153693314739?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

They’re the two main things that I’d recommend anyone change straight out of the box

When your stock gears finally eat themselves then upgrade to these - but you’re unlikely to need them for a while, my original set lasted 3 months of being hammered nearly everyday

Pinion

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/rw-.6-pinion-17-teeth-13756

Hardened spur

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/rw-hardened-acetal-outlaw-main-spur-gear-62t-433883

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Alloy chassis plate

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtdjElL

Zorro bumper, for which you’ll need some 20mm m3 screws to install it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ftx-Zorro-Front-Bumper-Set-FTX6953-/153693314739?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

They’re the two main things that I’d recommend anyone change straight out of the box

When your stock gears finally eat themselves then upgrade to these - but you’re unlikely to need them for a while, my original set lasted 3 months of being hammered nearly everyday

Pinion

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/rw-.6-pinion-17-teeth-13756

Hardened spur

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/rw-hardened-acetal-outlaw-main-spur-gear-62t-433883

Motor and ESC options if I decide to start brushed.....? It will be running with LiPo from day 1, if that makes any difference

7 minutes ago, Malachite said:

Motor and ESC options if I decide to start brushed.....? It will be running with LiPo from day 1, if that makes any difference

I’ll have a look  a bit, just finishing work. 

I did have a factory brushless combo for sale but it went at lunchtime, I’ll message you later. 

32 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

I’ll have a look  a bit, just finishing work. 

I did have a factory brushless combo for sale but it went at lunchtime, I’ll message you later. 

No rush. I'm not buying anything just yet. Only just got the boy's Phantom up and running after being broken since day 1, last Friday 😞

I am getting more put off the Outlaw by reports of constant rolling  when turning and flipping when braking sharply.

I am now leaning towards a Maverick Strada DT brushed, with a view to going brushless soon after.

Thoughts....?

6 minutes ago, Malachite said:

I am getting more put off the Outlaw by reports of constant rolling  when turning and flipping when braking sharply.

I am now leaning towards a Maverick Strada DT brushed, with a view to going brushless soon after.

Thoughts....?

I’ve not tried any of the Maverick range, but I can tell you that the stock battery location in the Outlaw is rubbish, too high and far back over the wheels, but it’s easy to move it for free - also the addition of a front sway bar and a better rear one and my Outlaw does not flip or roll at all even in high speed cornering, those mods cost under £20

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

According to their shipping list they won’t supply to the UK

it is in their shipping list Vereinigtes Königreich: 22,00 €

Edited by No brains
  • Thanks 1

I'm now leaning towards the FTX Zorro. Nice looking stadium truck.

Can anybody confirm if this is same chassis as Outlaw as it looks quite similar under the hood.........?

I also like the idea of the lower center of gravity for better handling and cornering.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malachite said:

I'm now leaning towards the FTX Zorro. Nice looking stadium truck.

Can anybody confirm if this is same chassis as Outlaw as it looks quite similar under the hood.........?

I also like the idea of the lower center of gravity for better handling and cornering.

Yeah, basically the same parts throughout but blue not black - IMO it will still want the battery moving, a brushless upgrade and alloy chassis but does come with the better bumpers straight out of the box. 

Smaller wheels are a double edged sword - lower centre of gravity, but also less ground clearance - so I choose to control the tumblewumble with updated sway bars and better foams rather than lower profile tyres. 

43 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Yeah, basically the same parts throughout but blue not black - IMO it will still want the battery moving, a brushless upgrade and alloy chassis but does come with the better bumpers straight out of the box. 

Smaller wheels are a double edged sword - lower centre of gravity, but also less ground clearance - so I choose to control the tumblewumble with updated sway bars and better foams rather than lower profile tyres. 

The alloy chassis will definitely be happening, along with the brushless upgrade. I saw  Tomley RC on YouTube get 40 mph out of it with a simple brushless upgrade 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malachite said:

The alloy chassis will definitely be happening, along with the brushless upgrade. I saw  Tomley RC on YouTube get 40 mph out of it with a simple brushless upgrade 🙂

Do you know what system he used?

I’ve had over 40mph out of mine with two different systems - one which is an amazing allrounder and I’d recommend and one which was good for speed runs but not for daily drivability which I would not!

3 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Do you know what system he used?

I’ve had over 40mph out of mine with two different systems - one which is an amazing allrounder and I’d recommend and one which was good for speed runs but not for daily drivability which I would not!

He used "SURPASS HOBBY KK 3650 Brushless Motor 4500KV 60A Brushless ESC 6KG Metal Gear Digital Servo" from Banggood but didn't install the servo.

Just now, Malachite said:

He used "SURPASS HOBBY KK 3650 Brushless Motor 4500KV 60A Brushless ESC 6KG Metal Gear Digital Servo" from Banggood but didn't install the servo.

I reckon that would be OK to get topped out on the flat for a speed run but I wouldn’t recommend it for drivability - I reckon it would probably both cog and overheat in the rough stuff. 

Admittedly the wheels on a Zorro are smaller than an Outlaw, so running the same pinion the Zorro is inherently lower geared - but away from tarmac you’ll still want a lower kv motor. 

The fastest car is not always the funnest or best to drive. 

• Like 1