• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and shareΒ all things R/C!

Km motors Baja km 001

Peter2021

Hi guys my son has had his buggy for about 2 weeks from new from RC modelez his first pull start coil was mashed then ordered another pull start and it's just snapped again😞 he is gutted literally had it out 4hrs from new and the compression on engine feels way to hard to pull over but we thought it was down to not been run in properly but he has run the car in properly now and the compression feels really tightπŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ any thoughts guys I've emailed RC modelez for support requesting for a engine check as that what we think it is we've spent 500+ on the car and pull starts feel gutted for him we've done everything by the book also.

I have a KM001 .... bought it a few years ago, and its been very modified since then...but... the pullstart on the stock motor was not a good quality item. I actually sold on the stock motor and replaced it with a better unit.

Β 

It may be the pullstart is binding, and it's not compresion you are feeling.Β  The old start routine used to be ...prime until primer bulb is full, choke on...3 pulls...choke off...start.

Β 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamradioguy said:

If you losen the spark plug does the engine turn over easily ?

There is a knack to starting those engines and its really easy to flood them.

Yes it is flooded but the pull start has snapped also so can't do anythingΒ 

Just now, Peter2021 said:

Yes it is flooded but the pull start has snapped also so can't do anythingΒ 

1 hour ago, Nitroholic said:

I have a KM001 .... bought it a few years ago, and its been very modified since then...but... the pullstart on the stock motor was not a good quality item. I actually sold on the stock motor and replaced it with a better unit.

Β 

It may be the pullstart is binding, and it's not compresion you are feeling.Β  The old start routine used to be ...prime until primer bulb is full, choke on...3 pulls...choke off...start.

Β 

Yes poor quality indeed!! And the second pull start was no better, instructions with car also poor, my son has had no luck with petrol RC cars think he picks the **** ones all the time pardon my french but feel for him and RC modelez don't help even though we spent to us a expensive car to others it's cheap. Hopefully get it resolved. Cheers nitro πŸ‘πŸ»

Β 

14 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

The pullsyarts for these motors are pretty universal. You can also replace the cord, which isn't hard to do. You can get pyllstart cord on E-Bay for a few £££

Β 

Cheers nitro bud πŸ‘πŸ»would lawn mower pullstart rope be ok the son wants some today too impatient to wait for online πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ seen some in b+q, not sure if it has to be for RCΒ  they basically are the same engine anyway just smaller in RC cheers bud πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘πŸ»

Β 

20 minutes ago, Peter2021 said:

Cheers nitro bud πŸ‘πŸ»would lawn mower pullstart rope be ok the son wants some today too impatient to wait for online πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ seen some in b+q, not sure if it has to be for RCΒ  they basically are the same engine anyway just smaller in RC cheers bud πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘πŸ»

Β 

Seen some replacement heavy duty on Amazon for ££ but it has different widths?? 

27 minutes ago, Peter2021 said:

Β 

Would 3mm be ok for pull start widthΒ 

The stuff I use is 4mm thick. 3mm is probably fine, but stronger cord is no bad thing.

Also...I would advise a check of your pullstart technique. It's not just pulling until it won't go any further when starting. Make sure you pull in line with the point where the cord exits the housing...and if you pull the pullstart until it phjysically stops...don;t πŸ™‚ Always stop pulling before the cord is fully out or you will pull it out of the centre pulley or chafe it through. These motors do not have high compression, and don;t need much effort to turn them over fat enough to start.

Β 

If they won't start...something is making it unhappy πŸ˜‰

• Like 3

Yeah cheers nitro I've been pulling the start crouched to car and pull to chest,it keeps flooding the engine and we start with choke on until it fires then choke off to start normally and the son normally pumps bulb a few times before, thank you for advice mate for pull cord also really appreciate it dude πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜ I'll take advice also thank you πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ»

Edited by Peter2021