• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Restored Associated SC-10 4wd

Looks really nice mate. Ive just been looking at the pro4 sc10 thats coming out soon. I'd much prefer to get a kit build and add the extras but its a it out of my price rang at the moment once you add the motor, esc etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DogBone said:

Looks really nice mate. Ive just been looking at the pro4 sc10 thats coming out soon. I'd much prefer to get a kit build and add the extras but its a it out of my price rang at the moment once you add the motor, esc etc.

Thanks mate. I bought this one on a whim, and it hasn't dissapointed. I think what put people off them as 'bashers' was that they're a little more time consuming to work on than say a shaft driven setup (this one has a belt drive) but I've found it easy enough to work on and make adjustments etc. It's been pretty much bullet-proof.

Edited by Rebel158
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely awesome, can't wait to finish mine..

If I were to add 2 more finishing touches to your model it would be... orange painted window mesh and number panels with spoiler plate, you can buy them separate or make em from lexan..

Hope you don't mind my edit on your truck, thought it looked awesomely aggressive 🤪

20210316.jpg.5466278c58331d5010f726a1fbe15594.jpg

Edited by Colosus
spelling
  • Like 1

You can get the 1/10 SC window net from modelsport.co.uk, made by KILLERBODY or steal the netting from you're Mrs handbag  😁

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=422121&gclid=CjwKCAjw3pWDBhB3EiwAV1c5rEDfgo17unNfedlVewq5IYEFN-NYDWOmoPLznADt26hRTx4623Fr9xoCAOIQAvD_BwE

Or from this site, you can use it as reference and track down the part used on the Axial Bomber :

https://www.pepcow.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=861453

For the number panels I would make em myself, from 1.5mm thick lexan sheet, print out the parts I added to your truck on A4 to scale and cut em out.. easy cos they don't require any bending, just straight panels.. 🛠️

My SC10 4x4 rebuild is now gunna be something else, but I won't post it here, I'll have to do a new post showing what I've done lol, which will also be in the Sacrilege category 😂 I won't be able to call it SC10 4x4 rebuild !🤔

• Like 1

Or I could just buy a bag of oranges from Sainsburys and use the mesh from those come to think of it 🤔 

No longer an SC-10?  I'm intrigued...

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 16/03/2021 at 10:18, Rebel158 said:

After a period of absence from the hobby, and owing to locdown boredom and frustration, I recently completed a restore / rebuild of an original Associated SC-10 4wd. It came pretty much as hopped up as you can get with an Exotek alu centre chassis, and numerous other alu bits. The previous owner had built this as a 'Team' kit and raced it competitively, and sadly it ended up with me, as a basher. Sacrilege! 😇  

It was by no means in bad condition, but certainly no shelf queen. It came with a Castle Mamba esc and an LRP XL12L 550 BL Modified 5.5T sensored motor which was plenty quick on 2s but had started to cog (could have been due to an issue with the esc) It also has a Savox SC-1267MD digital servo, Proline Street Fighter wheels / tyres, so a very decent spec list. I learnt a lot from the teardown/rebuild process, and although frustrating at times, on balance, I really enjoyed myself.

OK, I didn't remove, soak and polish very screw, but I did strip it pretty much all the way down and cleaned everything else properly. I then decided to rebuild the diffs and replace the shock fluids, which was quite brave of me as I have never built a kit and was in pretty much unknown territory. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the Associated Team kit build manual was very clear and descriptive, with all parts and associated part numbers identified clearly, and of course there are numerous YouTube vids and forum support articles available which gave me the courage to proceed. 

The diffs, both front and rear displayed no visible wear, although the fluid was of course black. The gaskets, orings, and bearings all looked and felt fine but I decided to replace all of these items anyway whilst I wass in there. I was so proud of myself when I actually managed to seat the planet gears on the sun gears first time, and properly too! Everything went back together smoothly., so much so that I was awaiting the punchline, but no, everything went relatively well. Whilst in there I replaced the top shafts and the outdrives with the Team lightened options for good measure, as I had spares. My spares also included the upgraded rear VTS slipper clutch set, so in that went with a set of new slipper pads for good measure.

I don't 'race' and this car was very much intended as a basher when I purchased it, and I originally acquired it for a decent price, so I didn't feel too bad about possibly 'down-speccing' the electrics. After some forum research, and a couple of chats with Lee at Modelshop Direct and Pete at EuroRC I decided on a Hobbywing MAX10 SCT esc (120a) coupled with a matching 3660 G2 4000kv motor, which would work out as the most efficient on 2s, whilst still handling 3s perfectly well. Then for the hell of it I ordered the 3200kv variant to cover all options 😊

I have to say that I’m really impressed with the ESC/motor combo. I wasn’t expecting a perfectly smooth throttle at low speeds, but at times I find it difficult to believe that this setup isn’t sensored, it’s that good! It’s running on the original 32p 62T spur with a steel 13T pinion and all appears to be well.

The proline shoes were in my opinion too good for bashing, so I decided to pimp up the original chrome wheels with some Humbrol matt enamel orange paint, which I applied by hand. I removed the original chrome finish with my rotary tool and set about applying several coats by hand with a small modelling brush. Not professional by any standard, but they actually came out a lot better than I had hoped and I think they complement the truck quite well.

The shell did have a few small splits at some of the corners, but in still otherwise excellent condition, so I setup about repairing and strengthening it with mesh tape and shoe good and a little touch up paint here and there. The less than perfect finish lends a more rugged look to the car and overall I’m quite happy with the outcome.

Any, enough of my waffling, some pics of my amateur efforts!

20210316_093727.jpg

20210316_093737.jpg

20210316_093602.jpg

20210316_093746.jpg

20210316_093546.jpg

20210316_093525.jpg

20210316_093400.jpg

20210316_093316.jpg

20210316_093305.jpg

20210316_093254.jpg

Looks excellent mate, good work 👏