• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage speed runner

Lone-wolf

That looks epic m8. Nice and easy to see at a distance too.
To help keep it straight and planted with the new motor, may want to drop the ride height a little, the back will squat under load, thus you want when this happens the front to not be higher than the back. Rubber tube in the shocks can help limit them.
What tires are you using?

Edited by Redback
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Redback said:

That looks epic m8. Nice and easy to see at a distance too.
To help keep it straight and planted with the new motor, may want to drop the ride height a little, the back will squat under load, thus you want when this happens the front to not be higher than the back. Rubber tube in the shocks can help limit them.
What tires are you using?

Thanks! For distance I found an LED kit on amazon for like 4.99 that just pushes into the shock towers.

The rear shocks are actually for a 1/8th scale buggy and those springs are super hard, so the rear barely squats. But you're right the nitro tubing trick will prevent it.

Tyres I was using were Arrma Dboots but destroyed in the crash lmao. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BRN6CFRD?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1     - LED kit

image.thumb.png.dd466872732d1572972cd940b3ce4111.png

image.thumb.png.41f6234d584ebb7d3a98fed027859297.png

• Like 2

On 15/02/2024 at 13:35, BagDouken said:

All rebuilt! Currently sunny and the road is drying , so as long as it doesn’t rain tonight, I’ll be going for it ! wish me luck 🫡

A5AEF550-C733-480B-8CAE-D65F023860AE.jpeg

Howed you get on? Did the tires explode or are the dboots belted and well glued like the 1/8th brothers.

The esc should fit on the top deck over or near the steering servo or you might be able to cram it between the motor and servo. the 4s max 10 fits with a 3652 motor behind it.

16 minutes ago, Redback said:

Howed you get on? Did the tires explode or are the dboots belted and well glued like the 1/8th brothers.

The esc should fit on the top deck over or near the steering servo or you might be able to cram it between the motor and servo. the 4s max 10 fits with a 3652 motor behind it.

It rained =[ so no run, but tonight looks dry! i did a quick stability test on the road outside, and its ready to roll, so if the weather holds out tonight I will give it a go.

The Dboots are belted =]

Also, as I didn't run, I had time to modify my other Vantage, and i tested the Arrma Typhon Rear Wing, seems to hold up really nice, looks cool too, like a batmobile!

So now I have 2 Horses in the race!

The second Vantage has unsensored Bl120 quicrun and 4000Kv 3652 Motor

Silver Hoons

IMG_8771.jpg

IMG_8773.jpg

• Like 3

Ah shame, hope you get some safe runs in soon. Those hoons should be good for around 100mph.
Have you heard of ROSSA?, its a UK speed run event held multiple times a year.
This imo is the best and only place to speedrun your car to its absolute max in the safest way for the car and others possible. I was unable to get over high 80s on roads due to things like surface conditions.
It was much easier to reach 100mph on this surface.
You can check them out but they only work from facebook sadly.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1641915416068313

296065718_10160225385596788_755947998437

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Redback said:

Ah shame, hope you get some safe runs in soon. Those hoons should be good for around 100mph.
Have you heard of ROSSA?, its a UK speed run event held multiple times a year.
This imo is the best and only place to speedrun your car to its absolute max in the safest way for the car and others possible. I was unable to get over high 80s on roads due to things like surface conditions.
It was much easier to reach 100mph on this surface.
You can check them out but they only work from facebook sadly.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1641915416068313

296065718_10160225385596788_755947998437

Yeah ive seen these guys on youtube, looks like a wicked day!

Yeah i know what you mean, road surface conditions in the UK arent great.

Managed to get 71mph on camera with GPS proof so thats something

But yeah after that went for another run and totaled it LMAO

I think rossa is the way forward. 

Il post vid here in a sec

• Like 3

Nice run, drop the ride height, to much air under will make it lift. Also yeah some lead weights on the front may help personally i think the wings too angled, want somthing a bit flatter, irrc you can flip the rear wings and they work well, i ran my hobao with a flipped wing and it stooped some lift.

• Like 1

Really good to see some one speedrunning the Vantage, i had a lot of fun with mine getting it to around 62MPH, lack of usable roads stopped me in the end, but its a cracking car and a darn good cheap base for this kind of abuse

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redback said:

Nice run, drop the ride height, to much air under will make it lift. Also yeah some lead weights on the front may help personally i think the wings too angled, want somthing a bit flatter, irrc you can flip the rear wings and they work well, i ran my hobao with a flipped wing and it stooped some lift.

Yeah i agree, ive made some plans to counter all this, i found the flatter wing that i have on the black one was much better!

SO im gonna go for a really big front scoop, im gonna modify an arrma typhon wing with some M4/M5 Bolts

And dremel it so it fits the front.

Lets see how that goes! 

My list of parts for repairs today is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG hahahhahaha ill post the crash i had when i tried it without the wing, TOTAL devastation LOOOL

You really seem to know your stuff here, im grateful for the help! learned a lot reading back this thread!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

Really good to see some one speedrunning the Vantage, i had a lot of fun with mine getting it to around 62MPH, lack of usable roads stopped me in the end, but its a cracking car and a darn good cheap base for this kind of abuse

It really has potential, if my aero plan works and can get this car closer to 100mph, i think it will spark some interest in these again as i know there are LOADS of these rotting in sheds or gathering dust in garages because its limits were met real early.

73 Mph is a nice jump up from 58 which was my previous best, it seems every 10 Mph after 50mph on these cars there's a new challenge!

(disclaimer: when i next post the car with my "aero mods" it may look very silly lmao)

• Haha 1

Wow that is brutal, sorry to see it crash.
I think the dual rate to high on steering, looks like you was correcting and then power came on and the tire bit and at that point it was sideways and there was no recovery possible, same happend to me on my first speed runs.

This is on a dead bit of road that used to be a bypass that was closed.

I would be cautious of driving it on main roads towards cars, a serious actual car crash could occur and unless you have a BRCA you will not legally be covered for any liability or damages.
Drive safe 🙂 and keep at it, good luck for the ton (100mph)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Redback said:

Wow that is brutal, sorry to see it crash.
I think the dual rate to high on steering, looks like you was correcting and then power came on and the tire bit and at that point it was sideways and there was no recovery possible, same happend to me on my first speed runs.

This is on a dead bit of road that used to be a bypass that was closed.

I would be cautious of driving it on main roads towards cars, a serious actual car crash could occur and unless you have a BRCA you will not legally be covered for any liability or damages.
Drive safe 🙂 and keep at it, good luck for the ton (100mph)

the "ahhh foooockkkkkk" I felt that lol

Yeah it was a pretty brutal crash man, thanks for the advice and the support! I have come up with a design in my head to combat the lifting front.

Its a multitude of things that together should do it.

Fuel Tubing so i can limit the suspension travel

Some sort of really stupid front downforce (you'll see this in a few days!! LMAO)

Turn down Steering D/R

Lower ride height

Rear diffusion?  (ill try the above stuff first and see how it goes, then ill try this)

Lower drag rear wing 

Power is good

Tyres are good

body is good

its just aero now, once thats sorted, i think 100 will hove into view!!

Edited by BagDouken

Good news! Parts are being shipped today so tomorrow I can do the build in the evening!

Also one of the guys at Wheelspin models has had his Vantage up to 104.5Mph!! 

So it CAN be done!! Got some advice / tips and it seems I'm on the right track!

Lets gooooooo! 

• Like 1

I hope it works, but a warning from experience it doesn't help... the wing will just dig into the road and cause a crash.
Some people put a little scoop on the front to help keep the front down but nothing to this extent.
The rear wing is way to steep and will make the back heavy and front light.
I still recommend putting in an extra battery this will weight it down more and  add some lead weight on the front.

You can control the weight better than the airo, most speedrunners use flat wings to keep the car straight not add downforce.

The body usually does enough to push the car down and i doubt your loosing traction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Redback said:

I hope it works, but a warning from experience it doesn't help... the wing will just dig into the road and cause a crash.
Some people put a little scoop on the front to help keep the front down but nothing to this extent.
I still recommend putting in an extra battery this will weight it down more and  add some lead weight on the front.

You can control the weight better than the airo, most speedrunners use flat wings to keep the car straight not add downforce.

The body usually does enough to push the car down and i doubt your loosing traction.

haha i hope it works too! got to try these things!

This is more of a prototype though/ proof of concept.

In terms of the wing digging in, 100% agree, its very flexible and at those wind speeds it will for surely flex in ways i dont want!

To counter that im trying to make something more rigid to support it, and I have the materials coming tomorrow, so once that's fixed its testing time!

But, you gotta admit, does look cool XD

With my black vantage, thats what im planning to do, ive ordered lead weights, 100g 50g bunch, and going to try adding weight and see how that works.

So one will be aero, one will be weight! Will be fun to see how it turns out !

Will run the car on 3s with power turned down to 50% and do some runs with the camera on the front so i can see how the front end reacts once ive got the rigidity problem licked

Thanks for the advice, dont want to smash the car up again so doing much more testing before going bananas!

Hopefully, one of the 2 plans bears fruit and then ill head in that direction

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Redback said:

Also, the front support should weigh about 220/250 grams

Is that enough weight? or too much?

In your experience how much weight is generally added to a car of this size?

Irrc the fully loaded banzia was like 2kg. I had a brass lock at the front to weight the front down.
Also had a 5000mh 4s battery thats about 900grams.
Keep adding weight, but look into carbon fiber sheet this stuffs excellent for chassis.
Example from the banzia thread.
20230628_232229.jpg.930371352afccd3f2aa0

12 minutes ago, Redback said:

Irrc the fully loaded banzia was like 2kg. I had a brass lock at the front to weight the front down.
Also had a 5000mh 4s battery thats about 900grams.
Keep adding weight, but look into carbon fiber sheet this stuffs excellent for chassis.
Example from the banzia thread.
20230628_232229.jpg.930371352afccd3f2aa0

Oh nice! Well the vantage is about 1.3KG no battery , so getting it up to 2kg is the goal? 

brass lock, that’s gotta be at least 400g right? 

thanks that gives me a good idea of where to go with this! 

That carbon sheet looks dope! Did you just buy that sheet and cut it yourself? Or was it bought like that? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BagDouken said:

Oh nice! Well the vantage is about 1.3KG no battery , so getting it up to 2kg is the goal? 

brass lock, that’s gotta be at least 400g right? 

thanks that gives me a good idea of where to go with this! 

That carbon sheet looks dope! Did you just buy that sheet and cut it yourself? Or was it bought like that? 

I'd have to re weight, will do when rebuilding. The lock wasnt 400g maybe 40g. The heavier the better but there is a power to weight ratio that will start to affect performance depending on motor and gearing.
The carbon sheet comes in sheets, this is a full sheet that i cut with the dremel, the front of the splitter is the front of the body, as the chassis is mostly flat it works pretty well. Id have preffered longer sheets but thats the largest i could find.
I mounted it first then cut out the wheels, heres before the cutting. Irrc it was about 15quid a sheet and this is 2mm thick from ebay.
20230625_165253.jpg?ex=65e49de9&is=65d22

• Like 2