• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best nitro truggy/buggy for general use?

nareik72

I'm looking to sell a few RC's to fund a new nitro truggy/buggy for the summer. I'll be using it down the local field with a bmx ramp i have to do a few jumps (nothing too crazy) and potentially taking it to my local track to have some fun with. Speed is obviously an important factor, as well as parts support/durability.

So far the hpi trophy truggy and hyper sst are the ones I'm mainly looking at.

Which is better or what else would you reccomend. These truggies are already stretching my original budget so I cant get anything much more expensive. However I love the larger size/style of them compared to 1/8 buggies.

If there are any recommendations on 1/8th buggies they're also more than welcome. I've looked at the hypers currently on sale but I've heard that the engines arent too great. The inferno neo 3.0 seems a little overpriced for what it is. So if anyone has any further info on them that'd be great.

Thanks 🙂

The Hyper Mac .28 can be fussy to tune...but the .21 motor is a much better unit, and shouldn;t give trouble.

If I was going to have a truggy though...I would seriously consider the old Hyper ST truggy. It has the Mac .28 .... but it's £60 cheaper than the Trophy, and you could always sell on the Mac .28 ...and fit a Force .28 motor. They retail at £100 ( or even the Force .32 motor...which is a favourite truck motor for me) So maybe that's an option.

Maybe also consider a good used truck?

Edited by Nitroholic

Agree with Nitroholic there on the Hyper St its in my opinion tougher than the Trophy Truggy (i have both of them) and ST is my fav of the 2 , dont get me wrong both are good trucks but ST does have edge on durability and parts are cheaper :cheers:

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I just managed to get a virtually brand new hpi trophy truggy for £230. It seemed like good value but it was a bit of an impulse buy and I hope I dont regret it 😂

Are there any real weak spots that should be upgraded in the future?

Thanks again 😁

Edited by nareik72

Also, I've always been tempted by the force engines. I was looking to fit one in a hyper 7 buggy a couple of years ago. Are they a worthwhile upgrade over the 4.6 in the hpi? 

if it hasnt got it already do the 17mm hex conversion the damm 8 mm nuts with big washers holding wheels on was a real pain and broke fairly easilly or came loose etc :cheers:

theres a section for the Trphy so have a look through it tells you how to do it 

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Thanks 1

I literally just had a look, and yes it is a force engine they're using in it. Maybe I should be doing more research 🤦‍♂️