• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Budget Offroad Wheels & Tyres for Associated SC10 4x4

Rebel158

Hi Guys - Originally posted this in the General Electric section, might get more visibility here...

I'm currently rebuilding my SC10 4x4 (original model, with exotek alu centre chassis, upgraded shocks etc) and want to convert it into a more general use basher than the racer it originally was. I'll be putting in the upgraded VTS slipper clutch (purely because I have it, but can put the original back in), along with a Hobbywing Max10 SCT esc and either the matching 3660 3200kv or 4000kv motor (I have both) I'm thinking for general bashing the 3200kv would be better, but then the 4000kv would be more effective on 2s. I'll be using both 2s and 3s though.  Any thoughts on that?

It's currently sitting on a set of prolines (wheels/tyres) which are more suited to the track/road use, but I would like to drive it on a mix of road, gravel, and short grass. It's quite a tough setup and more than a match for the usual 1/10 basher suspects in terms of handling and durability, but I'm itching for a little more 'dirty' use. I suppose I'm looking for something like a truggy/monster setup, without going over big and having to faff around with the gearing. On that subject, it's currently running the stock 32p 62t spur with a steel 5mm 13t pinion. 

So, any suggestions for a 'cost effective' and 'all round' setup if such a thing exists? Many thanks! 

Hmm. Fortunately for us, china has been copying designs of known tyres for many years. As such, ebay is a good place to start. They often list dimensions and hex size. I dont know much about the sc10 but im thinking itll be a stereotypical large inner small outer rim, with 12mm hexes and varying offsets. 

rc car wheels 1/10 | eBay 

Thatll get you where youre going. Itll take a bit of measuring to figure out if your desired wheel/tyre combo fits. I would say that where the body shell sits is going to be your most likely limiting factor, if you had a body like the monster one proline does for the slash 4x4 then you would probably have more options, but there will definitely be something there.

Its worth noting that proline make high quality wheels and tyres, anything you buy from china bay is never going to match those; but that is where the "budget" comes from 🙂 

Hope this helps, NB.

• Thanks 1

is there anyway you can 17mm hex convert this car?

Then i know alot great budget friendly buggy 1/8 wheels.

I have convert my SLASH 4X4  and Arrma Senton 3s to 17mm hex.

They handle alot better with budget 1/8 wheels now than with stock.

There is alot great 1/8 buggy wheels that i have tested.  Cheap and great ones that handle 3s well.

12MM

hex

these two are decent /  okey

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-1-10-sc-rock-block-mtd-5-spoke-black/rc-car-products/405141

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/nanda-racing-1-10-short-course-blocks-black-chrome-2-/rc-car-products/376166

Edited by m-racing
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Hey Rebel158 this is in reply to your post, I also have a complete SC10 4x4 chassis that I imported from USA some time ago, I've started to rebuild it, its in bad shape, rusty nuts & bolts to say the least and front diff clicking.. so far I've stripped everything back to how it came as a kit, bolts in a tub ready for rust remover and then some famous wd40..

Getting back on your build you mentioned motor, you can use something like Castle 3800 540 or 7.5- 6.5 turn 540, Reedy 540-sl 4900kv,  or this Castle Creations 010-0090-00 Sidewinder SCT Combo with 1410-3800KV anything less would be useless, budget motor combo from Onyx 3930kv 4pole 50 quid but esc needs to be 120amp or more for this beast of a truck, its a little heavy so demands some power, you will also need a powerful steering servo : Savox SC-0254mg High Torque Standard Size or something a like.

When reading through forums for info on the 4x4 everyone is trying to loose some weight here and there... its really a thorough breed race truck and a winner at that but not a basher..., sure.. it can jump and its pretty tough but I heard it can suffer a bit with trouble, being a belt driven 4x4 offroader the front and back tranny's tend to blow or start clicking if you're really giving it some rough treatment.., there's also the fact that the chassis is built in 3 parts, its bloody strong but by no means able to jump a massive ramp or a house..joke 🙂 Sure it can handle a beating on the jumps at the race track or even a BMX track, the best for bashing would be the Traxxas Slash the first release would be fine, but anyway we're talking about the SC10 4x4 enough of me waffling...

There's also a steering rack problem, I bought the blue alu upgrade as everyone said it was the weakest part of the truck, Team Associated also made a stronger optional plastic part but best is to fit the alu part from Exotek : ''EXO1270 sc10 4x4 steering rack'' is the part description label from rcmart (no stock) or here where I bought mine :

https://www.t2shop.de/Exotek-1270-SC10-4X4-STEERING-RACK

This set of tires from Duratrax  would suit you and they come mounted on rims 2x per pack, not very budget at 28 quid but nothing is really budget about this truck, they won't break easy, check with store first if they fit :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Duratrax-Lockup-SC-Tire-C2-Mntd-Blk-Slash-Blitz-SCRT10-2-DTXC3671/254628194884?epid=1122833550&hash=item3b4905ea44:g:XioAAOSw21Fe6qbP

Very budget yet nice soft KFORCE tires are these I also bought but have not yet tested, at the time they were 11 quid from China x4  before covid, 2 weeks to get here but now price increased 19 quid :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4Pcs-RC-1-10-Short-Course-Truck-Tires-Wheel-12mm-Hex-For-TRAXXAS-SLASH-Car-Truck-/302541432757?hash=item4670dfe7b5

also try UK online stores like modelsport.co.uk for RPM and Fastrax wheels pretty budget but out of stock, try ebay for these parts if no joy in stores :

Fastrax https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=434094

RPM : https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=414462

Aka tires are the way to go among other top brands like Pro-line, if you can find them in UK :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AKA-Racing-Typo-Wide-Short-Course-Tires-Mounted-Ultra-Soft-SC10-4x4-2/291445473290?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Sorry for me waffling, hope this helps a little, I will check back here from time to time.. 

all the best, keep safe

• Thanks 1

Later on in the year I will be testing this truck with a 7.5t Hobbywing v10 G3 540 motor that has 4420kv, it should be enough to push this truck but not as fast as the Novak 6.5. Here's a chart for your motor setups :

777331302_SC104x4motorgearingchart.thumb.jpg.3cb8846377a995de3b8022d659c06205.jpg

And here's an old video from 2012 HCRCR AMAIN track, at the start it tells you the complete system and setup for the black SC10 4x4, watch it and see just how fast they all are : using Novak 6.5 550 - Gens Ace 5000 40c

Edited by Colosus
spelling error
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/02/2021 at 18:58, Colosus said:

Hi all,

Hey Rebel158 this is in reply to your post, I also have a complete SC10 4x4 chassis that I imported from USA some time ago, I've started to rebuild it, its in bad shape, rusty nuts & bolts to say the least and front diff clicking.. so far I've stripped everything back to how it came as a kit, bolts in a tub ready for rust remover and then some famous wd40..

Getting back on your build you mentioned motor, you can use something like Castle 3800 540 or 7.5- 6.5 turn 540, Reedy 540-sl 4900kv,  or this Castle Creations 010-0090-00 Sidewinder SCT Combo with 1410-3800KV anything less would be useless, budget motor combo from Onyx 3930kv 4pole 50 quid but esc needs to be 120amp or more for this beast of a truck, its a little heavy so demands some power, you will also need a powerful steering servo : Savox SC-0254mg High Torque Standard Size or something a like.

When reading through forums for info on the 4x4 everyone is trying to loose some weight here and there... its really a thorough breed race truck and a winner at that but not a basher..., sure.. it can jump and its pretty tough but I heard it can suffer a bit with trouble, being a belt driven 4x4 offroader the front and back tranny's tend to blow or start clicking if you're really giving it some rough treatment.., there's also the fact that the chassis is built in 3 parts, its bloody strong but by no means able to jump a massive ramp or a house..joke 🙂 Sure it can handle a beating on the jumps at the race track or even a BMX track, the best for bashing would be the Traxxas Slash the first release would be fine, but anyway we're talking about the SC10 4x4 enough of me waffling...

There's also a steering rack problem, I bought the blue alu upgrade as everyone said it was the weakest part of the truck, Team Associated also made a stronger optional plastic part but best is to fit the alu part from Exotek : ''EXO1270 sc10 4x4 steering rack'' is the part description label from rcmart (no stock) or here where I bought mine :

https://www.t2shop.de/Exotek-1270-SC10-4X4-STEERING-RACK

This set of tires from Duratrax  would suit you and they come mounted on rims 2x per pack, not very budget at 28 quid but nothing is really budget about this truck, they won't break easy, check with store first if they fit :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Duratrax-Lockup-SC-Tire-C2-Mntd-Blk-Slash-Blitz-SCRT10-2-DTXC3671/254628194884?epid=1122833550&hash=item3b4905ea44:g:XioAAOSw21Fe6qbP

Very budget yet nice soft KFORCE tires are these I also bought but have not yet tested, at the time they were 11 quid from China x4  before covid, 2 weeks to get here but now price increased 19 quid :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4Pcs-RC-1-10-Short-Course-Truck-Tires-Wheel-12mm-Hex-For-TRAXXAS-SLASH-Car-Truck-/302541432757?hash=item4670dfe7b5

also try UK online stores like modelsport.co.uk for RPM and Fastrax wheels pretty budget but out of stock, try ebay for these parts if no joy in stores :

Fastrax https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=434094

RPM : https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=414462

Aka tires are the way to go among other top brands like Pro-line, if you can find them in UK :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AKA-Racing-Typo-Wide-Short-Course-Tires-Mounted-Ultra-Soft-SC10-4x4-2/291445473290?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Sorry for me waffling, hope this helps a little, I will check back here from time to time.. 

all the best, keep safe

Hi @Colosus Apologies, I missed your replies!

So, its a MK1 belt driven 4wd and originally came with what I believe to be a Castle Mamba esc and an LRP X12L 5.5T 3800kv Sensored motor (550 can) both of which functioned, but had seen better days. I went for the HobbyWing Max10 SCT esc (120a) and both the 3200kv and 4000kv variants of the HobbyWing 3660SL G2 (550 can) motor as they were well enough priced. It already has a decent heavy duty Savox servo which appears to be in good health. 

I ordered some new slipper pads, bearings, diff and shock fluids, diff gaskets, orings etc. Rebuilt both diffs for the hell of it (everything was actually in excellent condition, save one or two slightly dry bearings) Gave everything a good clean (I'll clean all the screws at a later date) and pieced it all back together. 

It really is an awesome bit of kit. Heavy yes, especially with the Exotek alu centre chassis, but planted and so predictable. I did briefly own both a 2wd and a 4wd Slash and both went a while back with SC10 remaining my hot favourite. I have no idea about the standard chassis but in this guise it makes an excellent basher and in my opinion more than a match for the Slash. The new esc and motor setup are nothing short of excellent, with practically no cogging at the lowest of speeds. I've tried both motors and the experience is practically the same, on either 2s or 3s. 

The shell has seen better days and has been repaired and strengthened with mesh tape and shoe goo and actually looks quite good. It also came with a set of fugly chrome rims, which I sanded and hand painted orange out of boredom (by no means a professional job, but perfectly acceptable) I'll get some pics up soon 👍 

Edited by Rebel158
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is just a Beast Rebel158..lovin it

I will add some pics soon, but now I'm struggling, I don't have the money for a new 550 can, and I wasted money on 48dp pinions & spur gears only to find out my old Fuse 550 3800kv and 130amp esc has a shaft dia of 5mm, now none of my pinions fit..

I found out ..which started as guess work the Losi 22s 48dp spur & slipper pads fit perfect, I wanted to find other spurs that will work due to this being a discontinued beast and most original spurs you had to order in the US, the Arrma spur also fits.. I switched the original slipper pads into the Arrma no prob and Losi is the same, this is good cos it means we can actually run these trucks for a few more years, here's part numbers if interested in 48dp.

Losi spur & slipper 48p 84t : 22s LOS232038

Arrma spur gear 87t 48p : ARM310019

Forget my Hobbywing 7.5 motor, think its too small...

Could you just touch on what pinion and spurs are you using for 3800kv ?  pitch, teeth and motor shaft diameter please ..its getting me all confused cos now stuck finding 48p pinion for a 5mm shaft...cheers

I still need a body and tyres for Proline Hazard SC5M +3mm wider off set rims.

I got the Killerbody mudflaps and the blue alu parts coming from rcMarT dirt cheap :

Aluminum Rear Mud Flap Plate (DB) for Team Associated SC10 4X4
Item No SC10X-012PDB

Battery Holder Aluminum (DB) For Team Associated SC10 4X4
Item No SC10X-021DB

Front Arm Mount A Aluminum(DB) For Team Associated SC10 4X4
Item No SC10X-019FDB

Rear Arm Mount D 3-2 Aluminum (DB) for Team Associated SC10 4X4
Item No SC10X-019-32DB

11 hours ago, Colosus said:

That is just a Beast Rebel158..lovin it

I will add some pics soon, but now I'm struggling, I don't have the money for a new 550 can, and I wasted money on 48dp pinions & spur gears only to find out my old Fuse 550 3800kv and 130amp esc has a shaft dia of 5mm, now none of my pinions fit..

I found out ..which started as guess work the Losi 22s 48dp spur & slipper pads fit perfect, I wanted to find other spurs that will work due to this being a discontinued beast and most original spurs you had to order in the US, the Arrma spur also fits.. I switched the original slipper pads into the Arrma no prob and Losi is the same, this is good cos it means we can actually run these trucks for a few more years, here's part numbers if interested in 48dp.

Losi spur & slipper 48p 84t : 22s LOS232038

Arrma spur gear 87t 48p : ARM310019

Forget my Hobbywing 7.5 motor, think its too small...

Could you just touch on what pinion and spurs are you using for 3800kv ?  pitch, teeth and motor shaft diameter please ..its getting me all confused cos now stuck finding 48p pinion for a 5mm shaft...cheers

I still need a body and tyres for Proline Hazard SC5M +3mm wider off set rims.

I got the Killerbody mudflaps and the blue alu parts coming from rcMarT dirt cheap :

Aluminum Rear Mud Flap Plate (DB) for Team Associated SC10 4X4
Item No SC10X-012PDB

Battery Holder Aluminum (DB) For Team Associated SC10 4X4
Item No SC10X-021DB

Front Arm Mount A Aluminum(DB) For Team Associated SC10 4X4
Item No SC10X-019FDB

Rear Arm Mount D 3-2 Aluminum (DB) for Team Associated SC10 4X4
Item No SC10X-019-32DB

So, mine originally came with one of the 3700kv (5,5T) 550 LRP motors, which I believe were one of the cans recommended by Team Associated in their catalogue. The chart in the catalogue mentions using the 32p 62t spur, and those motors have a 5mm shaft, with the recommendation being circa a 13t pinion.

My new motors both have a 5mm shaft, and having spoken with the a couple of model shops/enthusiasts, the general concensus is that the 13t pinion should be fine, and so far it is. 

It can be quite confusing, and I'm far from expert on the matter, but if using a larger can (which will almost certainly have a 5mm shaft) you would probably need to look at using the 32p spur. Happy to be corrected 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for that info Rebel158 ,great help, I also checked the manual and some how got confused due to forgetting I had a Fuse 550 motor laying around and thought my 7.5 540 can will be fine lol, this is how the confusion started which led to me purchasing 48p spurs & pinions :

SC10 4x4 info : written in an article.
ACCEPTS 550 OR 540 MOTORS
''The speed freaks among us will opt for a high-powered, 550-size brushless motor, but Associated stresses that the 4×4 ran perfectly well during testing with a 540-size standard brushless motor, too. The only motor AE is aware of that will not fit is Novak’s Ballistic SC 550, as the motor can is 7mm too long. Existing 550-size LRP and Tekin motors fit perfectly, as do all 540-size brushless motors''🤨

What they failed to mention was that all 540 size motors with 5mm shafts will work.. lol the shaft on a 540 3.17mm dia is no way long enough, and if you fit it the pinion would be hanging off...

Been searching the 32p pinions as I have the 32p 62t spur but all I can find is Axial's, could you let us know if you went with Axial pinion or was it another brand ? cheers

This is my old motor and esc, it should be enough to push this beast around 🙄, so now focusing on this with 32p pinions 😁

Dynamite 130A Brushless ESC and Fuze 4-Pole 3800Kv 550.jpg

• Like 1

I think the general concensus is that a longer can will give you more torque. So in my tiny little mind, I translate that to 'mine is heavier than standard (with the Exotek centre chassis) and I get extra 'free' torque out of the 550 can'. I bought my new ESC and motors as part of a Hobbywing package, so the cost wasn't too bad.

Another thing  I was told by the chap at EuroRc was that whilst many people will often opt for a lower KV motor in a heavier car, a 550 can will allow you to go higher up the KV range, in  my case 4000kv for one of the motors.

The spur I have came with the car. Looking at it, it does look very similar to the Axial offering. I note also that Axial offer lower tooth pinions in 5mm, in  case we feel the need to gear down a little more, whereas other brands offer pnions from 13T upwards. You can find plenty of 5mm 13T+ kits on Amazon. How good they are though, I have no idea...

I think, so long as you don't stry too much past the recommendations, gear too high, run through thick grass, and try to launch from a standing incline, you should be OK 😄

• Like 1

Cheers Rebel158 for this info, I will grab a 13t and stick the original 62t spur back on the truck, its good to know though.. that the Losi 22s and Arrma spurs fit the SC10 4x4 ... if ever having trouble with finding a spur...😉

Oh I just managed to grab a used Tekin Pro4 4600kv motor so gunna switch the Fuse motor with this and use it without sensor wire on the 130amp non sensored ESC, this should be fun 👍

Also posted on you're Restored Associated SC-10 4wd topic, hope you didn't mind me editing one of your photos 😏

Edited by Colosus
spelling
  • Like 1

Oooooooh, slippery slope @Colosus 😉

Saw the edited pics, don't mind at all mate, and it does make it look more 'business'.

Good to know also that there are other parts options that work with these 🙂👍