• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

DJI Mavic Mini replacement? FPV questions

Derka

So I have a Mavic Mini and it's been fine. It had to be sent off for repair after around three or four battery packs, which DJI duly sorted a replacement for me. I'm glad I purchased the additional cover!

I don't use it much as it's not very wind resistant and has a poor range of around 500m maximum with clear line of sight. 

I don't need a small drone so happy for the size to increase for better handling of wind. 

I'd also quite like 4k 30fps if possible. 

I don't really want to spend much more than the value of Mavic Mini as I just don't use it too often to invest more money. 

The Mavic connects to my Android phone and the phone display is used to view the camera/video feed and the handset for fkying it. I'm happy with that method of control but I'd also quite like to see what FPV flying is like? Be it a separate drone to the general video drone.

A few possible answers here, first thing FPV, this is best done with a goggle set up, for the immersive fpv experience, if you dont wear specs then plenty of low cost (and high cost) goggles about, same with the quads

second, larger camera drones.....one thing to keep in mind small drones with small props tend to cut through the wind a bit better , however your model is known to have issues in windy weather due to the very low weight, so one option is the DJI phantom 3 on the used market, might pick up a mint P3 pro or even P4 for right money, very good camera platforms, and the full sixe mavic is still a very good drone 

I am a spectacle wearer, does that effect FPV choices?

As far as drones, my MM v1 is okay. Just the range and poor wind handling (a given as mentioned but I'm new to this) and having recently bought a 4k TV I am wanting a drone that will do 4k 30fps, or even better 4k 60fps. I need to research the DJI models but currently it looks like I'd need the Mavic Air 2 for 4k 60fps and older Mavic Air is 4k 30fps. I think the Pro versions are 1k+ and I don't want to spend that much. Absolute max would be a new Mavic Air 2 in conjunction with funds from the sale of the MMv1. MM v2 also does what I want, but probably suffer the same below average wind resistance but does do 4k 30fps and better range...