• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Any E Revo 2.0 users out there that can help?

Squiddy-UK

Hi, 

Im looking for some advice on what to do. I am fairly new to the hobby. I first bought a granite brushed and the motor died 3 times then bought a kraton 6s v4 but the ecu started playing up after about 5 runs! I got fed up with fixing it so I sold it on and bought a 3s big rock...... first run the ECU died. 

Im getting abit fed up with Arrma at the moment and I am debating spending abit more and getting something like a E Revo 2.0 or a 4x4 rustler, I like the way the body comes off and they look like more "fun" cars as in back flips and so on. After abit of research myself I see there seems to be more part availability in the uk and also cheaper for replacement parts. 

This was another issue with the kraton is that the parts seemed expensive and harder to get hold of, or I might not have been looking in the right places....

So from what I have seen the Traxxas is more expensive but the parts are easily available and cheaper or the arrma is cheaper but parts are harder and more expensive to get hold of. 

Any suggestions would be helpful. Annoyingly I sold my kraton as spares or repair and lost quite abit without realising it had a two year warranty on the ecu.... at the moment I have the big rock that im getting a replacement ECU sent out and my brushed granite (now brushless with a £25 set from banggood) for the kids. Debating selling the big rock and putting it towards a Revo. 

Things that I want to know about Traxxas is how is the warranty in the UK? as when I spoke to arrma directly in Germany for the ecu they just didn't care and where not that helpful, there aftersales team are not great in my opinion. 

Thanks in advance 

Traxxas warranty in uk isnt the same as in usa as far as i know, but you should get a year.  If you buy new from a reliable uk shop then if the esc quickly dies  then  the shop should replace it but will need it back.  I thought Arrma escs were rebranded  Hobbywing escs so should be reliable as long as connected to motor and esc within their limits. Best get a roller and choose your own electrics. Traxxas dont have the best reputation with their escs.

I didnt gel with my ERevo 2.0 to be honest, found it pretty weak out the box. I love the Rustler 4x4 however.

Traxxas seem to be the 'easiest' to obtain spares for, and they are well priced, but Im suprised you had issues with the Kraton V4, as that would have been my recommendation.

Did you send the ESC's back for repair/replacement?

55 minutes ago, Guns said:

I didnt gel with my ERevo 2.0 to be honest, found it pretty weak out the box. I love the Rustler 4x4 however.

Traxxas seem to be the 'easiest' to obtain spares for, and they are well priced, but Im suprised you had issues with the Kraton V4, as that would have been my recommendation.

Did you send the ESC's back for repair/replacement?

The company I bought the big rock from are sorting a replacement ESC for me. The kraton was bought from a hobby shop about 50 miles away from me but I didn't realise about the warranty and sold it! 

Do you prefer the rustler then? its hard as everyone has there preference but I can't even go and test them out as no where near me sells much to be honest, I would have to go to a London shop or something lol.

Im basing everything of YouTube vids and the Revo looks pretty good, but then so does the rustler. 

1 hour ago, locky said:

Traxxas warranty in uk isnt the same as in usa as far as i know, but you should get a year.  If you buy new from a reliable uk shop then if the esc quickly dies  then  the shop should replace it but will need it back.  I thought Arrma escs were rebranded  Hobbywing escs so should be reliable as long as connected to motor and esc within their limits. Best get a roller and choose your own electrics. Traxxas dont have the best reputation with their escs.

Yeah I have heard about the esc's overheating, I also read that they send updates to the ECU via the Bluetooth module so I think that's pretty good. 

The arrmas have been completely stock, maybe I have had a bad run.... 

I was thinking a kraton exb but it is cheaper to buy the V5 then to get that plus all the electronics. 

I would stick with an original Hobbywing esc. They shouldnt need updating if they work and bluetooth is an extra cost and gimmick imo.  Unless you want to buy new batteries then pick a car that will run the packs you have.  If your bash area is relatively large then a 1/8 truggy is best.  If you want agility then 1/10.  Every car has some weak points, but most can be prevented depending how popular the car is and if your prepared to spend extra. If you send it high and fast then it gets expensive.  Arrma are the trend at the moment but there are others such as Team Corally and Hobao. 

You don't sell a car because the ESC died, you either get a warranty replacement, then either use that or sell it, or just get a Hobbywing. 

To give that some context, I've got cars that are approximately ten percent original, the rest has been chopped out for better parts. That's part of the hobby, getting them as good as you need them to be. There aren't many that need nothing from the get go, pretty much all need something improving. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, locky said:

I would stick with an original Hobbywing esc. They shouldnt need updating if they work and bluetooth is an extra cost and gimmick imo.  Unless you want to buy new batteries then pick a car that will run the packs you have.  If your bash area is relatively large then a 1/8 truggy is best.  If you want agility then 1/10.  Every car has some weak points, but most can be prevented depending how popular the car is and if your prepared to spend extra. If you send it high and fast then it gets expensive.  Arrma are the trend at the moment but there are others such as Team Corally and Hobao. 

Is it Hobbywing or Spektrum in a V4?

1 hour ago, Squiddy-UK said:

The company I bought the big rock from are sorting a replacement ESC for me. The kraton was bought from a hobby shop about 50 miles away from me but I didn't realise about the warranty and sold it! 

Do you prefer the rustler then? its hard as everyone has there preference but I can't even go and test them out as no where near me sells much to be honest, I would have to go to a London shop or something lol.

Im basing everything of YouTube vids and the Revo looks pretty good, but then so does the rustler. 

On the whole, Im a big fan of the 1.8th Scale Truck. Im also probably the biggest Traxxas fan on here..... yet I was dissapointed with the E-Revo 2.0 unfortunately.

I think your problem is, youve had a great RC, got rid of it over something trivial, but that RC wouldve been perfect.

As i say, Im the biggest Traxxas fan on here, first thing I do is rip the Traxxas ESC out, so dont think the issues will go if you get a Traxxas. If anything, I rate Arrma ESC’s more than Traxxas?

8 minutes ago, Tug said:

You don't sell a car because the ESC died, you either get a warranty replacement, then either use that or sell it, or just get a Hobbywing. 

To give that some context, I've got cars that are approximately ten percent original, the rest has been chopped out for better parts. That's part of the hobby, getting them as good as you need them to be. There aren't many that need nothing from the get go, pretty much all need something improving. 

Yeah I learned that the hard way, I don't mind about the batteries as I can just solder different connectors on the esc or batteries. I made some mistakes with the kraton that I don't intend to make again lol. 

2 minutes ago, Guns said:

On the whole, Im a big fan of the 1.8th Scale Truck. Im also probably the biggest Traxxas fan on here..... yet I was dissapointed with the E-Revo 2.0 unfortunately.

I think your problem is, youve had a great RC, got rid of it over something trivial, but that RC wouldve been perfect.

As i say, Im the biggest Traxxas fan on here, first thing I do is rip the Traxxas ESC out, so dont think the issues will go if you get a Traxxas. If anything, I rate Arrma ESC’s more than Traxxas?

Yes I like the 1/8 scale, where I live I have a lot of fields and space. I might give it another shot as the kraton v5 looks to have some nice upgrades. At least I know the ESC would be under warranty this time! I just like the look of the E Revo. That said I have seen the issues with the servos burning out quickly and there is two! 

The new v5 at least has a spectrum esc and metal geared servo.... 

I do like the fact you can flip the Revo on the spot and is abit more of a stunt truck though lol. Just looks like it would be more fun to drive. 

In the real world, you cant flip the truck on the spot without ruining the diffs eventually, its a gimmick. 

The E Revo 2.0 is more stable and less fun in my opinion than a Kraton, the Canteliver suspension makes it more supple than fun.

If you want fun/chaos, look at the Arrma Outcast 6S

• Thanks 1

The rear toe-links are truly awful, you'll be lucky to empty your cells before you've broken the links. On the V1, you could get RPM without the rear links, but (as far as I'm aware) they're not yet available for the V2. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tug said:

The rear toe-links are truly awful, you'll be lucky to empty your cells before you've broken the links. On the V1, you could get RPM without the rear links, but (as far as I'm aware) they're not yet available for the V2. 

I forgot about that!

Also the rear chassis needs bracing, the shock eyelets elongate over time unless you limit travel etc 

• 1 month later...

I know I’m late to the party here but thought I would throw my thoughts on the E-Revo 2.0

Got it Christmas 2018 and it was my first RC. While I loved everything about it it did feel like it was breaking every time I take it out. The main culprits were the rear push rods (part 8618) and they used to strip multiple times every session. Throughout I was following Guns’ posts and actually agree with his assessment. Eventually I cooled off on the car and left it unused for a few months.

April 2020 I realised new beefier push rods were released (part 8619) and bought some. It has completely transformed the car. Not a single stripped push rod in one year. Sure I have had broken parts but that was more my bad driving. One was around 17 cartwheels immediately after explaining to my son how he should drive it to avoid cartwheeling and breaking it...

You may have already bought the Arrma but certainly the E-Revo deserves consideration now for all others out there. It is a blast to play with!

I got an e-revo at Christmas and I’ve really enjoyed it. Broke a rod end and, weirdly, a rear bulkhead. Parts were cheap and easy to fix. Does feel like it’s more fragile than my maxx, but that really is silly tough - it’s just silly the abuse it takes. On the e revo I’ve also put shock limiting straps on rear and the alloy rear brace. Really like the way it drives and like seeing the super supple suspension do it’s thing. I know it’s not the toughest basher out there, but it’s really nice to drive and takes a fair bit of abuse. Will probably get the tubes toe links at some point as that’s apparently another potential weak spot. For real bashing and for the kids to crash I’ve got the maxx. I’ve also just got a Kraton exb 1/8 that I’m building up...

Over the years I had my fair share of issues: countless stripped rear push rods, bent rear toe link, a number of broken rear shock caps, bent front rocker among others.

Absolute majority were in the early days, toe link was 5 minutes into the first run with my son. I was still figuring out the controls and reversed full throttle into a bench 😱. Over the past year however aside from shock caps every now and then it has been taking the abuse like a champ. Incidentally the motor and ESC held up well, no issues there but I did preemptively change the servo to a single Savox 1231SG which has also been great.

As it is today I would strongly recommend it although it needs some upgrades to really get going on top of those mentioned above. As a complete newcomer to the hobby at the time I should have probably gone for a smaller and simpler car like the Rustler 4x4 VXL but now I love it to bits.