• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hi from a User for many years who finally signed up (and a question)

Verzino

First of all, Hi everyone!

I've got a smallish RC collection consisting of a 1/16 WPL crawler (ironically my newest RC I got during lockdown), a Team Associated B6, a custom scratch built drift car that's progressing nicely and then the Serpent S411 which I'm attempting to turn into a 2S speedrun car. Like everyone who starts a speedrun build I've got my eye on the current WR @ 132.65mph. As the limiting factor for power is the battery in this case, I've got myself a 3.5T Hobbywing XeRun motor (already technically slightly overvolted on 2S). In theory this is good for more than 70K rpm.  

Anywho, my question was which ESC should I be going with? I've got two contenders that seem to be strong in my personal opinion; the Hobbywing XeRun 120A SD V2.1 and the SkyRC Toro TS120A Pro-Comp. I have seen a few others but they seem to offer no more features than these two, yet cost a fairly significant chunk more. I'm not too worried about carefully working out my gearing as I'm working on a dyno to help with tuning the setup before I actually take the car out. I'm currently leaning slightly towards the HW because I've had a few ESCs from them in the past and never had one fail (even past the advertised limits).

I've been using these forums for years to search for answers, but finally got to the stage where I couldn't find a conclusive answer for a question. I'd really appreciate any help or tips with this project.