• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao DC1 Owners

Thanks @MrPeaski for sharing, it didn’t take long to measure last night and just make a disc with hole in tinkercad and cut some bits out:

D7AE89FF-4D13-4122-AE9A-DD3E128A9982.thumb.jpeg.05d1ee531723808150c34acfe2c97020.jpeg

unlike the rest of the internet I never had an issue with bed adhesion but today it just didn’t want to stick. Thought the junk white filament was using for the kids may have absorbed some moisture so opened a new yellow roll someone gave me but same issue.

Refuse to resort to voodoo like glue stick as never had to before so just washed up the glass print bed with the dishes from dinner and will try again tomorrow 😉

even the purge line was not sticking so something up, have slowed the print speed down but will also try your settings as never printed anything this small on its own but it’s not sticking which is not print speed from past experience as default always stuck before.

Frustrated ESC not left China still… might cancel and pay extra for UK source - although part of me says I will still be faffing with body painting for another week and have plenty of time for ESC to arrive.

Keen to see it move now.

Jack Reacher you got a really good deal on yours!

Edited by whitecitadel
Ithingy automistake typo
  • Like 2

@whitecitadelthey look really nice, but maybe a bit too open for the stock oil? Mine only has a single similarly sized notch.

I think for these I used my original Ender 3 'buildtak' surface to print on instead of the glass i normally print on.

If you haven't got one of those, maybe an increase in bed temp or resorting to gluestick will help.

Also for anyone else reading this, can you actually download the file I attached?

For some reason I can't.

If its the same for everyone else I'll change it to a G-Drive link instead

Edited by MrPeaski
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, whitecitadel said:

Thanks @MrPeaski for sharing, it didn’t take long to measure last night and just make a disc with hole in tinkercad and cut some bits out:

D7AE89FF-4D13-4122-AE9A-DD3E128A9982.thumb.jpeg.05d1ee531723808150c34acfe2c97020.jpeg

unlike the rest of the internet I never had an issue with bed adhesion but today it just didn’t want to stick. Thought the junk white filament was using for the kids may have absorbed some moisture so opened a new yellow roll someone gave me but same issue.

Refuse to resort to voodoo like glue stick as never had to before so just washed up the glass print bed with the dishes from dinner and will try again tomorrow 😉

even the purge line was not sticking so something up, have slowed the print speed down but will also try your settings as never printed anything this small on its own but it’s not sticking which is not print speed from past experience as default always stuck before.

Frustrated ESC not left China still… might cancel and pay extra for UK source - although part of me says I will still be faffing with body painting for another week and have plenty of time for ESC to arrive.

Keen to see it move now.

Jack Reacher you got a really good deal on yours!

You're going to want some 45-50wt oil with those pistons.

My printer is back in action! It turned out to be a bricked SD card 🙂

14 hours ago, MrPeaski said:

Just for reference

Hobbywing 1080 in stock at Modelsport

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-quicrun-1080-80amp-wp-brushed-crawler-esc-407325

☺️

Yeah I know, I tried to save £10 by ordering from afar (plus it also meant it was not on the big bill for the kit and most of stuff from MS the misses might see!) and it was a false economy. Will order from MS today, just trying to remember if there was anything else I need while I am paying postage...

3 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

You're going to want some 45-50wt oil with those pistons.

My printer is back in action! It turned out to be a bricked SD card 🙂

Yeah I wondered if too open! What weight comes in the kit... is it "mystery weight A" I wonder... it was just a first attempt - I might try @MrPeaski file as well as that seems more proven, and there is always file the flats on the kits pistons as well...

46 minutes ago, whitecitadel said:

Yeah I know, I tried to save £10 by ordering from afar (plus it also meant it was not on the big bill for the kit and most of stuff from MS the misses might see!) and it was a false economy. Will order from MS today, just trying to remember if there was anything else I need while I am paying postage...

Yeah I wondered if too open! What weight comes in the kit... is it "mystery weight A" I wonder... it was just a first attempt - I might try @MrPeaski file as well as that seems more proven, and there is always file the flats on the kits pistons as well...

I tried filling my shocks with 20wt and it made zero difference, so I assume the stock oil is around that. @MrPeaski's pistons work great but just keep in mind that they will need a light sanding all around.

1 hour ago, everclear1984 said:

I tried filling my shocks with 20wt and it made zero difference, so I assume the stock oil is around that. @MrPeaski's pistons work great but just keep in mind that they will need a light sanding all around.

That is assuming my relationship with the 3d printer ever recovers and I can print them!

Had a go at lunch for 30 minutes, put in a different filament that has been reliable in the past and changed all print settings to ones suggested by MrPeaski and got further but still failed, there has to be science to it so will try a spare nozzle tonight if I can get 5 mins as its something to do with the way its extruding it seems.

Ordered ESC from MS at lunch as well, so provided I get the shocks together it should be able to move by the weekend - just need to start on paint for the body as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whitecitadel said:

That is assuming my relationship with the 3d printer ever recovers and I can print them!

Had a go at lunch for 30 minutes, put in a different filament that has been reliable in the past and changed all print settings to ones suggested by MrPeaski and got further but still failed, there has to be science to it so will try a spare nozzle tonight if I can get 5 mins as its something to do with the way its extruding it seems.

Ordered ESC from MS at lunch as well, so provided I get the shocks together it should be able to move by the weekend - just need to start on paint for the body as well.

If all else fails I'd be happy to print them for you and pop them in the post

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Sorry but my money is on the printer mate :rofl:

I dont have this trouble, me and printers just dont get along, i once launch a new Epsom printer down the garden path, i now let my wife do any printing but just on paper

• Haha 3

Thanks for vote of confidence stormbringer :lol: but to quote Stewy Griffin “VICTORY IS MINE”

C7E13A0B-67BC-44D3-BBD2-C5832E52BDFF.thumb.jpeg.20a2feba25352f92c0f351a2501da92e.jpeg

Took nozzle and feed tube out to clean gunk, YouTube says you blowtorch nozzle to melt out crud… which sounds fine but there were two spare nozzles next to me when I had found the box of tools/spares for the printer so cheated and put new clean nozzle in.

Normal service is resumed.

(brim was probably not needed but part of earlier desperation)

One day might eventually have this crawler put together 🤣

Thanks to MrPeaski for the file. Just need to find some 1000 grit to fine tune the fit in the garage and shocks away 

• Like 3

In case it was missed (or I forgot to mention!), align the cut-out in the piston with the same in the circlip for maximum flow.

ideally the printed piston should be a firm fit between the two circlips so as well as sanding the diameter (given the printing brim) the thickness may well need adjusting too.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MrPeaski said:

In case it was missed (or I forgot to mention!), align the cut-out in the piston with the same in the circlip for maximum flow.

ideally the printed piston should be a firm fit between the two circlips so as well as sanding the diameter (given the printing brim) the thickness may well need adjusting too.

Thanks, got that. I was not happy with the print above, too much "squish" in the first layer so I did more messing with the printer and re-printed again (won't clog thread wither further 3d printing nonsnse, but fitted BL Touch that had been in a box next to the printer for 6 months and went "all in" on making the thing work again).

Asembled the shocks last night... and discovered the centre hole was too tight to fit the shock shaft 🤦‍♂️:lol:

Just filled the flat away one side on the kit piston and lined that up with the circlip instead and moved on with life for now.

3 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Ordered an LED light kit for the DC1, still waiting for front shocks, they may arrive tomorrow, and still trying to decide what to have on a set of scale number plates

This is one of life's existential questions - what to put on scale number plates 😁

What lights did you get?

(I got some simple LED ones from ModelSport that stormbringer used)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

the light buckets for the rear are for 5mm leds so you may need to sleeve the leds with something to stop em rattling about 

Thats another plan scuppered lights can go in bin when they arrive, not putting them on now

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

good luck sorting cables, if you have to solder make sure you get it right

Soldering no issues, need to join the esc cables to new cables then solder those to the motor. I have some XT60 connectors and maybe some deans in the old rc box so will probably fit a connector between ESC and wires on the motor rather than join cables.

• Like 2