• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao DC1 Owners

Looking nice there @Dag, the stock bumper looks totally out of place but I thing your Ebay one will look smart.

Maybe need to trim the bottom off the front of the shell to tuck it in as close as possible?

edit:

there again looking at the link again, maybe not🙃

Edited by MrPeaski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPeaski said:

Looking nice there @Dag, the stock bumper looks totally out of place but I thing your Ebay one will look smart.

Maybe need to trim the bottom off the front of the shell to tuck it in as close as possible?

edit:

Yes, I reckon it will be ok.

I'll try it on the rear too, and if its good, I'll order another

All rhis is really making me want to build another kit 😁

edit:

To be fair, another rear kit bumper turned upside down as on the rear would have probably had the same effect, but hey

Edited by Dag

when you come to fit the mirrors to the Ford shell, there is a mod on youtube instead of gluing mirrors then having them break of on first tumble, clip of the 2 pins on each mirror and drill small holes, use silver elastic string to tie them, then they fold

Edited by Jack Reacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

when you come to fit the mirrors to the Ford shell, there is a mod on youtube instead of gluing mirrors then having them break of on first tumble, clip of the 2 pins on each mirror and drill small holes, use silver elastic string to tie them, then they fold

Thats a neat little mod.

I was planning on leaving the mirrors off, due to the possibility of them getting smashed off, but I'll fit them now.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Thats looking really good mate and very diferant :good:

Cheers

The approach angle on the front is now unreal. I'll have to measure it, but it looks like it would walk up a wall.

This started out as just wanting to build a kit, but its gone somewhere completely different.

It'll be an ongoing project for some while at this rate

The list of unused DC1 parts I'm amassing, is something else. Quite a few spares here now, for anyone running a standard DC1

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Just back from scale nationals, that was fun, have to say you have pulled it of with the ford F-150 shell on the DC1, take a bow job well done

Cheers

Considering it was a bit of a leap of faith / stab in the dark, I can't believe how well its turned out. Looks like I'm not done yet with it either.

I will sort the shocks / springs, and I'd quite like to try some 95mm tyres for a more scale look.

12 minutes ago, Dag said:

Cheers

Considering it was a bit of a leap of faith / stab in the dark, I can't believe how well its turned out. Looks like I'm not done yet with it either.

I will sort the shocks / springs, and I'd quite like to try some 95mm tyres for a more scale look.

95mm will rob ground clearance, im now running 110mm on my Hobao

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dag said:

Now ditched the kit front bumper as the alloy one I ordered just arrived.

starting to look a lot more scale now and very in keeping. 
not a total like for like fit as the holes in the bumper posts are 2.5mm.

just a simple task of drilling whichever set of holes out to 3mm then using an m20x3 inserted from the bottom of the bumper mount and securing with an m3 nyloc on top.

happy days

What do you think @MrPeaski ?

If I'd been a little more careful about slotting out for the front bumper mount on the shell, you'd barely see it. The new bumper clearance is perfect for the shell on the closest hole.

Externally now, there's only really the kit tyres and rear bumper that would give any clue as to the kit

42629A93-A12C-4139-B1BA-42311AF2AD0C.jpeg

I like that, maybe in a chrome finish (caustic soda and a lot of polishing) would add even more to it as it would match the grille.

Could you lower the body posts by one hole to reduce the amount of the cut-out showing! Either way a tidy looking front end.

Your mention of a stock rear bumper on the front has me reaching for my tools to see what it would look like

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Might give this a bash with the stock mirrors, nice easy mod

Just tried the stock rear bumper on the front.

Mine has a 3d printed 'hoop' so I could remove the rear wheel mount, but still retain the body shell holding bit

IMG_20211016_202755.thumb.jpg.f8e1af263ec2f209a9e77acd71c65cf5.jpg

Fitted to the front

IMG_20211016_203324.thumb.jpg.bb7cfd2bbeb53cb04dbe9d95cf69f322.jpg

Not sure that this works/looks any good, as the stock front bumper angles back towards the body.

Simple enough to try so nothing lost

So..... What do you think?

Stock bumper with the bull bars chopped

IMG_20211016_221859.thumb.jpg.049a827ec18753801d504cbca414ef3a.jpg

There's no LED in the spot lights yet (3 of the 4 fitted to the light bar failed ☹️), but I'll get them in soon

Looks a lot cleaner and I like the spots

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrPeaski said:

Could you lower the body posts by one hole to reduce the amount of the cut-out showing! Either way a tidy looking front end.

I'll just have to live with the cutout.

Its not as visible as it looks.

Can't really lower the front end any further or it will look silly high at the back, and the rear body mounts are on the lowest hole.

I might just have to do another shell now to get the cutout right. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, MrPeaski said:

Added some strip weight to the wheels today (about 75g each (too much?)) and also changed tyres to some Super Swamper copies.

And finally got to go out and try out the recent changes to the suspension.

It was a sunny but windy day so headed to the local beach

Sorry about the wind noise!

I think it did quite well.

Must admit, its not easy trying to see where the holes etc are when trying to both watch where its going and keep it reasonably well framed.

filming and driving takes practise, im slowly getting batter at filming and framing, looks like i will be moving my DC1 on soon

If there’s an award for slowest DC1 build I am going to claim it soon!

Was waiting for a dry sunny day… decided they had all gone this year and painted the shell last week anyway despite the high humidity. Paintwork didn’t quite come out as I hoped - first shell in about 20 years - I know where it went wrong but it’s ok  not a total disaster just not what I hoped -  will post a pic when the sun comes out to get good one.

Finally fitted all the shell hardware today, right up until the interior and realised I don’t seem to have holes in the body for the front wipers? (That also secure the interior).

Looking back through the thread, I see @everclear1984and m33bhardwaj dont have front wipers, yet they have an interior fixed to the body shell? 

Everyone else does seem to have front wipers, I know the seats I have are two parts like @MrPeaskinot the racing bucket style in the manual or some peoples pics, I had assumed my shell is just missing the two holes but now I am slightly perplexed by some DC1 not having front wipers?

Am I missing some big secret, or just 2 holes in Lexan?