• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Light bar advice needed please..... what are these plugs?

Fat Freddy

Hi folks,

so I bought this HobbyTech light bar for a project I’m working on. Sort of expected to be able to plug it straight into an empty receiver slot with one of those flat plugs (no idea what the correct name is) that I have previously used with other LEDs.

It arrived today with two plugs, neither suitable for plugging into my receiver.

So, I’m assuming that one is to go to an on/off switch? And the other to a power supply?

I’m hoping that if I snip off one plug and just solder the wires together, effectively bypassing the on off switch ( or even put in a manual on/off switch instead?)...... Then snip off the other plug and replace it with a receiver plug, it will work as per the other LEDs I’ve used?

Does that sound right to you? Or is that too bloody simple?! Am I going to have to spend more money to buy some gubbins to make it work?

Edited by Fat Freddy
Deleted pics to make space

Impatient bump......

Have been home from work a whole hour now and want to fit this light bar but don’t want to start snipping and soldering before I’m sure what I’m doing. Sometimes being ignorant is a pain in the Rs. Hopefully one of you clever people can enlighten me?

it looks like they are meant to be used with a controller or light unit like a tamiya unit or something similar

i dont see any reason why what you suggest wouldnt work tho 🍻

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

it looks like they are meant to be used with a controller or light unit like a tamiya unit or something similar

i dont see any reason why what you suggest wouldnt work tho 🍻

Thanks, I’ve been googling “lighting set with control box” type things and they seem to come with a main box (that plugs directly into the receiver) and wired up led’s with similar looking plugs, so I’m guessing you are right.

I THINK my first idea seems logical. Maybe I should stop worrying, just take a chance and get out the snips and soldering iron?

14 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

just watch tho if the leds get hot or you get a smell from them voltage is to high 🍻

Haha 😂  I was just about to take the plunge and read that...... lost my nerve now. Think I’ll do a little more research. Or hopefully someone versed in the arts of electrical wizardry will put me out my misery?

oops sorry for that mate 

years ago all we had were 2 volt leds and had to daisy chain em up to equal the voltage you were putting in ie 6v then 3 leds sometimes you could get 4 on 7.2 nicads but newer lights and leds run at various voltages these days 

i would just go for it mate 🍻

• Like 1

Aaah, this is probably significant, turns out there are only two wires actually coming from the back of the light bar. The twin connectors were a red herring. That simplifies things...... 

crap photo, sorry.

Edited by Fat Freddy

Decided to take a chance. Replaced the two mystery connectors with a receiver plug.

Seems to be working fine. Left it on for about 10-15 mins and the bar was just barely warm but certainly not hot..... presume that’s ok? 

So problem solved 👍

Edited by Fat Freddy
  • Like 1