• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ZD Racing Owners Thread

James.S

On 12/02/2021 at 09:57, Joeman13 said:

From your point of view which model is better ?

Hi The red one has a sronger servo 15 kg instead of 9kg with the black one and motor is 4076 1900 kv

Edited by Phon

• 1 month later...

After doing a bit of research on the two, black and orange vs red and champagne models, the red one has better tyres imo, has a slightly different motor, has a fan and heat sync on it, and a 15kg servo apposed to 9kg in the black version. Ive just ordered the red version so it should be here in a couple weeks.

• Like 1

After doing a bit of research on the two, black and orange vs red and champagne models, the red one has better tyres imo, has a slightly different motor, has a fan and heat sync on it, and a 15kg servo apposed to 9kg in the black version. Ive just ordered the red version so it should be here in a couple weeks.

Wow this thread is a blast from the past for me. I think it may have been my first post on this forum...I wrote it whilst laid in bed with Corona virus! 

@James.S - just out of interest, how has yours stood the test of time/use over these past few months?

And @Dan taylor keep us updated with how you get on. Don't know why but the ZD racing stuff has always had my interest, unfortunately Banggood wouldn't ship to the UK back then so I went the used Hobao route. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bert_w164 said:

@James.S - just out of interest, how has yours stood the test of time/use over these past few months?

Hello mate, it's done pretty well for the most part, but last time I had it out I did unfortunately break it. Back in  early March I took it to the same skatepark (as can be seen in my video on the previous page) and had a nasty head on crash into a concrete block at around 25-30mph. That impact broke a few things and I haven't used it since as i'm still waiting for the replacements parts to arrive from Banggood. They're en route to me now though so hopefully will be back up & running again in a couple weeks time 👍

• Like 2

Cheers @James.S

Unfortunately when I wanted one Banggood were not shipping to the UK due to the Brexit tax implications, I ended up with a Hobao Hyper 7 and haven't looked back but did like the look of the ZD stuff. Just checked out the vids and subbed, great content, keep up the good work :topbanana:

• Like 1

@Bert_w164 No worries mate 👍 & ah yeah that's a pain in the ass isn't it. I'm not even sure if they're available at all anymore as a RTR, I think it's just the rolling chassis that you can buy now & then add your own electronics. I think you made a good choice with the Hyper though as im only ever hearing good things about them and may be buying a Hyper VS 150amp for myself very soon 😁. Aw thanks for subscribing mate and im glad you liked the videos. I do hope to make more during this summer season.

• Like 1

Haha, I've got three Hobaos now (well until niece collects her Dominator). In fact I'm after another one as I really love how durable they are and parts are so easy to come by. 

Thanks for logging your experiences, it's sometimes difficult finding a balanced review of these Chinese RCs as people take a rose tinted view due to price, or some, definitely not all, reviewers are influenced by their sponsorship or simply don't use them often enough - so their 20 minutes of glory on YouTube doesn't really say much. 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2021 at 16:39, Bert_w164 said:

Haha, I've got three Hobaos now (well until niece collects her Dominator). In fact I'm after another one as I really love how durable they are and parts are so easy to come by. 

That's the main reason I want to go for a Hobao as my next model, the durability. I like all of my RC's but most of them just haven't held up as well as I would've hoped. So hopefully the Hyper will be the car to change this trend! 

On 02/05/2021 at 16:39, Bert_w164 said:

Thanks for logging your experiences, it's sometimes difficult finding a balanced review of these Chinese RCs as people take a rose tinted view due to price, or some, definitely not all, reviewers are influenced by their sponsorship or simply don't use them often enough - so their 20 minutes of glory on YouTube doesn't really say much. 

No worries man, i'm glad that it's been of some use to you ☺️ I was always planning to document how it went as I was very interested myself to see just how good/bad the more expensive Banggood models are. And like you say, you can't rely on the Youtubers who review these models because they are almost always going to be biased towards a product they've been given for free. But alas, i've been quite impressed with it to be honest, and for the £250 I think you will struggle to get any better 1/8th scale truggies. Obviously it's not going to be up to Arrma/Corally standard but I had it out for a good 10 - 15 bash sessions before I broke it, so in my eyes that's a win! 

• Like 1

Hey James,

Why do all the cool kids have to live so far away, would of loved to check out that ZD in person and would have gladly handed over the 6S Hyper 7. 

I have a friend, non forum member who has a couple of Hyper 7s he's just rebuilt, one PBS and one non PBS. Let me know if they're of interest to you and I'll put you in contact with him. 

He's a proper hobbyist and has a fleet of Hobaos and Losi RCs lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bert_w164 said:

Why do all the cool kids have to live so far away, would of loved to check out that ZD in person and would have gladly handed over the 6S Hyper 7. 

Ahah, yeah mate very true 😋 there's a few members on here that are local to me though so im sure there'll be some close to you as well. But yeah I would be happy to let you have a go with it. If you're ever down the south for whatever reason let me know and we could organise a meet up 👍

2 hours ago, Bert_w164 said:

I have a friend, non forum member who has a couple of Hyper 7s he's just rebuilt, one PBS and one non PBS. Let me know if they're of interest to you and I'll put you in contact with him. 

Ah nice one mate, that's cool. I'm not sure what PBS means but if they are electric Hypers and he's thinking about selling them then I would definitely be interested in taking a look.

• Like 1

Ah I believe the PBS was a different suspension setup, I just checked all his are nitro. Thanks @Stormbringer for some reason I thought it stood for pivot ball suspension!

The Hyper 7 conversion is only worth it if you find a good roller on the cheap, otherwise by the time you add in the mount, refreshing broken bits etc., Best just buy a VSE or similar 👍🏽

Thanks @Stormbringer & @Bert_w164 👍

Yeah if they're nitros then ill probably pass on them mate, but cheers though 🙂 . Yeah I think im gonna go for the Hyper VS 100amp. I was debating with myself on whether to get that or the 150amp version, but I think 6s might be a bit much and could lead to issues with the drivetrain and also with blowing tyres out. From speaking to people that own one and from watching videos it seems like 4s is plenty, plus I have a couple of 4s batteries already and two pairs of 2s so won't be needing to purchase any more. Can even run it on my 3s batteries I guess but thinking it might be a little sluggish. Maybe you can chime in here @Stormbringer as you and your son both have the 100amp Hyper right?

• Like 1

4s is plenty, with 6S your tyre bill becomes astronomical, and every weakness shows up...

I've ran mine on 3/4/6s and 4 is definitely the sweet spot. Despite that I still run it on 6S as it's insane. 

However, I use a Hobbywing XR8 Plus, so able to get away with 3S.

3S isn't to be dismissed...here's my efforts on 3S.

IMG_20210301_162313__01.jpg

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

you would have to switch lvc off and run an alarm on 3s tho as theres no 3s option on esc as far as i recall

Ahh ok, so that's another difference with the higher amp esc then as it says on Modelsport that the 150A can run 2-6s. That's no problem though as I can run it on 4s always.

25 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

4s is plenty, with 6S your tyre bill becomes astronomical, and every weakness shows up...

I've ran mine on 3/4/6s and 4 is definitely the sweet spot. Despite that I still run it on 6S as it's insane. 

However, I use a Hobbywing XR8 Plus, so able to get away with 3S.

3S isn't to be dismissed...here's my efforts on 3S.

Yeah that's pretty much what I thought. Thank you for confirming, aha. Yeah im sure that 14.8v will be plenty. My ZD is certainly powerful enough when running my 4s 50c Zeee lipo! 

Wow 48mph seems like a very decent speed on 3s. Is that just down to the HW esc or are you running a better motor too? Or a larger pinion?

Surpass Hobby Rocket Taurus 2200kv 4274 (sensored)

19T pinion gearing

I think the reason I got such a good speed is down to tyre size, I ran whatever it came with which are definitely a larger profile than the GRPs I usually run.  So I guess that changed things, especially as they ballooned. I reckon 70-80 with 6S and GRPs

I'm waiting on a Speedo gizmo as I don't want to damage the smartwatch so will eventually report back when I get some 6S runs in 😁

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

The VSe's come with a Hobby Wing ESC as standard 

Oo I see, I was under the impression that the 150A is a Hobbywing and the 100A isn't, so that's good to know mate, thank you 👍 

Also, is the upgraded esc truly the only difference between them? As it seems like quite a big price hike for just that?

16 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

Surpass Hobby Rocket Taurus 2200kv 4274 (sensored)

19T pinion gearing

I think the reason I got such a good speed is down to tyre size, I ran whatever it came with which are definitely a larger profile than the GRPs I usually run.  So I guess that changed things, especially as they ballooned. I reckon 70-80 with 6S and GRPs

I'm waiting on a Speedo gizmo as I don't want to damage the smartwatch so will eventually report back when I get some 6S runs in 😁

Ahh right, that makes sense then. Higher KV motor and a bigger pinion than standard. And yeah I find it quite surprising how much wheels/tyres can affect the top speed. Hence why all the speed run guys on YouTube run foams.

After seeing what you got on 3s I think 70-80mph will be easily achievable with double the voltage. I look forward to seeing the results when you do it mate 👍

• Like 2

Oh yeah sorry mate I should have made it clear I bought a Hyper 7 roller and rebuilt the whole thing down to bearings, diffs etc. 

The wheels were some unknown brand with foams inside, someone once said they're AliX wheels. 

I soon destroyed them with 6S 😂 with any luck, might get a 6S speed run in this weekend. Take care and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bert_w164 said:

Oh yeah sorry mate I should have made it clear I bought a Hyper 7 roller and rebuilt the whole thing down to bearings, diffs etc. 

The wheels were some unknown brand with foams inside, someone once said they're AliX wheels. 

I soon destroyed them with 6S 😂 with any luck, might get a 6S speed run in this weekend. 

All good mate, I guessed you might've bought it as a roller and built yourself. That's something i'm yet to do in the world of RC. Only had RTR's so far but i'd like to try a build of my own at some point. I may start with something fairly basic though like a WL brushless build or something similar.

Haha, yeah i can't imagine many tyres lasting long on 6s, especially if doing speed runs at 70+ mph like you plan to. Should be great fun though 😉 Get a video of the run if you can.

3 hours ago, Bert_w164 said:

Take care and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. 

Thanks mate, you too. And I appreciate it man :good:

Edited by James.S
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, James.S said:

Oo I see, I was under the impression that the 150A is a Hobbywing and the 100A isn't, so that's good to know mate, thank you 👍 

Also, is the upgraded esc truly the only difference between them? As it seems like quite a big price hike for just that?

Ahh right, that makes sense then. Higher KV motor and a bigger pinion than standard. And yeah I find it quite surprising how much wheels/tyres can affect the top speed. Hence why all the speed run guys on YouTube run foams.

After seeing what you got on 3s I think 70-80mph will be easily achievable with double the voltage. I look forward to seeing the results when you do it mate 👍

well the 100A version does come with a Hobby Wing program card but the 150A version is a Max 8 esc as far as i know 

any other diferances i dont know you would have to check the specs for them but they both do use same motor :cheers:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

well the 100A version does come with a Hobby Wing program card but the 150A version is a Max 8 esc as far as i know 

any other diferances i dont know you would have to check the specs for them but they both do use same motor :cheers:

Cheers again mate 👍 I wasnt even aware they came with a program card. I'm sure that'll come in handy if I need to mess about with the punch level & braking power to get it how I want it.

Yeah i've checked the specs on loads of different websites and some of them are pretty vague so that's why I wasn't completely sure. I thought the servo could be different as well as most of the shops list the 150A version with an 18kg servo but none of the listings for the 100A version state the torque of the servo.

• Like 1