• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Getting back to it after a long time..

Stretchy79

Hi all,

Wonder if you guys could help. Been out a long time (manta ray long lol)

Wanting to get a monster truck basically so I can build and let kids learn on it and myself use it. Couple of questions. 

1, I’ve looked but I cannot find much with a like for like of the monster jam trucks, my boy would love a grave digger or similar look etc, is there a model I can get of 4x4 and say buy a different shell that I can paint so it looks like one? 

2, With regards to the speed, can you say limit the esc or as such so it doesn’t fly off and they can’t control it? 

Seems much has changed but any pointers appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Have you had a look at something like the Traxxas Summit? they do a 1/10 and a 1/16... The Traxxas ESC's appear to have the ability to put them into a "training" mode with reduced speed so that could be a good option?

I'm a fan of HPI stuff but before they went bankrupt so I don't actually know what their new stuff is like now (presuming under new owners/management etc)... They have the crawler king and wheelie king...

I've also had Kyosho stuff in the past which isn't bad kit... I saw the Fazer Mk2 mad van recently and that looks a nice retro style truck

If you're looking for more budget there's a lot of positive feedback for the WPL or WL Toys stuff which they do various in kit form, good for a beginner and not too much money to worry massively about damage, also the added benefit that if you went for something like one of their small crawlers its small enough to use indoors to an extent as the bad weather is rapidly upon us... I've been watching "tomley rc" on youtube he seems to review some of the more budget and beginner friendly stuff...

Like you I've been away and just getting back into the hobby after several years away, I just got a TRX4 and happy so far.

Edited by mch87

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. 

mch87, liked the look of the traxxas then another forum someone pointed me to the below and though oo yeah lol it’s not monster monster truck but off road at least so could have a good whip around the fields up here. 

Ive been looking and like the look of this. Doesn’t have the training mode but I can just use an open field and teach lol

Think for the price and spec it does well

E61A1860-1CC4-4CB8-A03F-206B246F86CB.png

Edited by Stretchy79