• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How to achieve this colour?

FB333

I'm planning on buying a Proline Sumo body for an FTX Outback 2 as I want to try and recreate a Suzuki Samurai I owned about 15 years ago (yea I know its a bit of a 'marmite' kinda 4x4 but I got it for £50 so it was a no brainer and it turned out to be a very capable little 4x4 )

It was a strange colour though - Kind of slightly metallic turquoise/blue.

I was thinking to use Core RC's metallic blue with a white backing, but I'm not sure I'll be happy with it. Tamiya offer a lot more colour options, and their cobalt green looks close(ish) but I think its too green?

Does anybody have any recommendations or suggestions for colours or combos that would get me close (without going down the airbrush route)? 

Thanks!

martyn 016.jpg

Edited by FB333
  • Like 2

Its a smallish shell so i would look at a Tamiya PS blue, maybe others will chip in...........also when you are ready to try a colour doa paint test on scrap polycarb or an empty drink bottle, before doing the shell, i made that mistake once and felt i ruined a shell as the colour just did not come out as expected

Edited by Jack Reacher
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/11/2020 at 17:33, Jack Reacher said:

Its a smallish shell so i would look at a Tamiya PS blue, maybe others will chip in...........also when you are ready to try a colour doa paint test on scrap polycarb or an empty drink bottle, before doing the shell, i made that mistake once and felt i ruined a shell as the colour just did not come out as expected

Plus one to all of that.

I also learned the hard way that it’s a good idea to do a test on a bit of scrap.  If it’s not quite right, you can try again with a different backing colour, black or silver.

Hope you don’t mind me jumping on your thread @FB333but I have a colour conundrum too.

I want a cream/off-white/magnolia sort of colour. I foolishly thought from looking at a colour chart that Tamiya champagne gold acrylic looked a sort of cream colour, but it turns out to be a bit, surprise surprise, gold. Hope to get an airbrush soon, but in the meantime I’m stuck with rattle cans.

Any suggestions folks?

• Like 1