• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Adventure's of Ting Ting's Rustler

Well she is all ready to go down the community centre ! Going to go down with the son in a couple hours for some speed runs down there, might do some jumps if I'm brave enough.... Shame it does not look as good on the outside as it does on the inside 😞

IMG_20210201_112138__01.jpg

Edited by Tingting44
  • Like 1

all ready dont like these springs lol, not even taken it out yet, way too soft for me, will be getting them green progressive GTR springs..... just so annoying have to order them from USA with $15 shipping and long delivery time

Edited by Tingting44

That's what I read on the Traxxas forum as well.

Even the hardest version is way too soft.

I am getting my GTR shocks today.

Then I can take measurements for what springs I would need.

After I will do some research into finding harder dual rate or progressive springs.

If you want, you can wait for me being the guinea pig. 😇

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jens said:

That's what I read on the Traxxas forum as well.

Even the hardest version is way too soft.

I am getting my GTR shocks today.

Then I can take measurements for what springs I would need.

After I will do some research into finding harder dual rate or progressive springs.

If you want, you can wait for me being the guinea pig. 😇

yep what a load of tosh! lol gave her the gentle throw down on the floor as u do and just from waist height it bottoms out, wish springs fully compressed, not a happy chappy......

ohhh grats for you today buddy!!! they really are machined amazingly, u will love them, good luck and i dont mind u being a tester loooool, so so tempted just to get the blooming green gtr spings, why does the wife have to moan i spend more on my rc than our real car :((((((( yes im banned from buying rc bits right now 😞

Edited by Tingting44

8 minutes ago, Guns said:

What oil are you running in the shocks?

traxxas brand what came with them, so around 30-35wt, i will be going up to around 50wt when i take them apart next tho and with stiffer VG progressive springs 😛

took it out earlier, not impressed....its the wheels there is so much slop and play in the the car shakes and wobbles, not sure why either, the hexs fit perfect into the wheels so its got to be something to do with the new green traxxas ali hubs and carries, all 4 wheels now have a lot of play in them, any users of these can shed any light on this?

19 minutes ago, Tingting44 said:

took it out earlier, not impressed....its the wheels there is so much slop and play in the the car shakes and wobbles, not sure why either, the hexs fit perfect into the wheels so its got to be something to do with the new green traxxas ali hubs and carries, all 4 wheels now have a lot of play in them, any users of these can shed any light on this?

I have the same problem!

Even the slightest play in some parts make the wheels wobble.

Here to check. Everything should have zero play:

( Remove the shock absorbers to remove tension)

- upper mount of the suspension arms (including pin)

- lower mount of the suspension arm (including screw)

- driveshaft inside the stub axle carrier (check ball bearings)

- balls in the turnbuckles

- balls in the shock absorbers

I notices that the slightest play anywhere will cause the wheels to wobble major.

Edit: Just saw your video.

Check if the stub axle carrier is moving as well. Then it is the suspension arm or the turnbuckles.

If it is just the axle then it might be with the ball bearings in the stub axle carrier.

The ball bearings really must fit tight.

I remember:

Did you fit the balls in the turnbuckles yourself?

I tried that before and then they were too loose and garbage.

Now I have this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-RC-Car-Model-Metal-Clamp-Multi-function-Shock-Absorber-Pliers-Ball-Head/383737493116?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

1 hour ago, Tingting44 said:

traxxas brand what came with them, so around 30-35wt, i will be going up to around 50wt when i take them apart next tho and with stiffer VG progressive springs 😛

If you take them apart again...

I just read some interesting stuff about the Traxxas Variable Damping Kit. #5461.

Would need to be modified a bit but should improve overall performance. Once above problem is solved.

Edited by Jens

thanks for all that info mate, tbh its doing my head in, on one of the wheels i put 3 0.5mm teflon washers on to take up the play, it was perfect, but putting 3 on the other wheels was too tight, so had to go with 2 on all the other wheels, which still leaves play, also the bearings that go into the stub axle carrier are not super tight, lots for me to go back through and check, really not in the mood for this, might have a break on this build for a bit tbh, i feel deflated lol

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear that you seem a bit frustrated... 😢

I am going through that myself. My Rustler is still waiting to work again as good as out of the box.

From the video it also looks a bit as if the wheels are unbalanced.

Had the same with the Rustler & Bugsta.

The foam inside disintegrated from all the water and decided to all move to one corner ( what corner??? 😜 )

See, if your front wheels roll on the floor without wobbling.

Rustler manual says: Cut 2 holes in the tire (opposite side), if you going through water. After the run spin the wheels to drain the water.

Rustler manual doesn't say: You need to clean yourself after.

• Thanks 1

Lol green ftw! Your son has good taste lol, I was only messing about selling tho, I do feel like that sometimes tho 🤣 

Well I think the lengths of my turnbuckles are out which is not helping, where I had to screw the green rpm end on I think they might be out, I think I'm just going to order stock turnbuckles, nice new set and see how I get on with them, just like u say eliminating one problem at a time... Oh on a good note my tyres seem to be balanced!!! 🤣 also do i just cut bigger holes to release tyre water on the inside of the wheel or do you actually mean cutting a hole in the actual tyres? as i last got it wet maybe a month ago or more and there totally soaked inside still

Edited by Tingting44

41 minutes ago, Tingting44 said:

Oh on a good note my tyres seem to be balanced!!!

In the video, the tires are rolling themself. 

Sorry, but they don't seem to be balanced.

Roll them for a meter on the floor. Most likely they will wobble.

42 minutes ago, Tingting44 said:

as i last got it wet maybe a month ago or more and there totally soaked inside still

If they are still soaked after 1 month, the foam insert are most likely disintegrated.

Then the foam (cannot call it that anymore) settled on the bottom of the wheel.

That's where the wobble comes from.

My stock wheels were exactly the same!

It actually happened with all my cars.

All wheels then went to the garbage since I didn't want to take the tires off with Aceton.

Then all cars got new wheels and I made sure that this will not happen again.

The little air hole in the rim is closed.

As inserts I used closed cell foam. That is waterproof and also prevents the wheels from ballooning.

Then the tires were meticulous glued.

You can see that positively.

Probably the wheels are your only problem.

i was messing about with the tyres being balanced lool, im ordering one of these, ive also done the slits in the wheels, loads of water came out, so all good there....

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=412820

yes i cba with acetone malarky lol, thats why im getting belted tyres pre done lol, think im going to order new driveshafts also as these stock ones have so much play in the pins..... defo cant afford mips or cv shafts atm so just the standard ones for now see if i can eliminate this dredful wobble

• 4 weeks later...

had to take a break....been fiddling on and off, got rid of pretty much all the slop and play now, seems better, ive cut 2 small drainage holes on my stock tyres also as cant buy new ones at the moment, seems better, loads of water come out, still need to get a tyre balancer.... taking it out today so we will see if she implodes or not o.O

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-27 at 10.00.58 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-27 at 10.01.35 AM.jpeg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tingting44 said:

had to take a break....been fiddling on and off, got rid of pretty much all the slop and play now, seems better, ive cut 2 small drainage holes on my stock tyres also as cant buy new ones at the moment, seems better, loads of water come out, still need to get a tyre balancer.... taking it out today so we will see if she implodes or not o.O

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-27 at 10.00.58 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-27 at 10.01.35 AM.jpeg

Looks really good.

Enjoy and good luck. She will be bashing fine!

And I shall do the same after lunch with mine.

I have been tweaking mine in the last days as well and will see if all works.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jens said:

Yes it was!

However, at the end I broke 1 rear driveshaft (the Tekno one) and lost the rubber on the front wheel.

Looks like tire glue doesn't bond well alloy rims with tires.

IMG-5006.jpg

Sand the bead of the alloy wheel before you glue it 🙂