• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ftx outback tundra 2 battery upgrade.

Bones74

Hi, I'm wondering can anyone help me here. I recently purchased a ftx outback tundra 2. I'm looking to upgrade the battery. What would use suggest? I'm totally new to rc cars. This is my first purchase. Below is a picture of the current battery. Ive read that it can handle lipo batterys. If so which one would suit it and do i need another charger too? Thanks for any help

Screenshot_20201020-195327~2.png

Screenshot_20201021-144621.png

Your battery pack has a Mini Tamiya plug.

LiPo batteries often have different connectors such as Deans (also known as T plug?).

The good news is that the manual for your vehicle who’s that you can move the jumper on your combined ESC / RX to accommodate LiPo so you just need a battery with an appropriate terminal. 
You can get adapters for Deans to Mini Tamiya

https://www.overlander.co.uk/male-deans-to-female-mini-tamiya-conversion-lead.html

I’m not sure if the one linked has the correct male / female plugs for your needs, there are loads out there on EBay or from regular stockists like Modelsport, Hobbyking, etc.

Ah ok. That makes sense. May i ask what charger you use to charge your lipo battery? Or would you recommend any. I live in ireland. All the hobby shops are closed due to covid or id have just brought it in and asked there. I Appreciate the information. Thanks

21 minutes ago, Bones74 said:

Ah ok. That makes sense. May i ask what charger you use to charge your lipo battery? Or would you recommend any. I live in ireland. All the hobby shops are closed due to covid or id have just brought it in and asked there. I Appreciate the information. Thanks

I myself use an Overlander RC6-VSR for all my batteries.  The one in the picture is a cheapo off ebay but, you can get a similar one from Modelsport (Etronix  powerpal  pocket 2  ET0223) . You can also get an adaptor as stated above by Badcrumble  from Modelsport  (ET0819).

I haven't seen one with that cell size (2/3 AF) greater than 1600mah unfortunately.

I don't know whether a SubC cell pack (standard 1:10  scale battery) would fit in your vehicle. They are typically something like Length: 127mm,  Width: 43mm, Height: 23mm. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=383051

Larger cell and higher capacity = longer run time.

Also means more weight - why is why LiPo would probably be a better option.

3 minutes ago, Bones74 said:

The stock battery dimensions are 100 x 32 x 17 mm. I'll look into getting a lipo one that fits. Lots of battery's seem to be sold out online. At least over here in Ireland. 

Take a look at Hobbyking  and their European warehouse to see if they have stock.  They might have comparable chargers too. Something like...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/accuell-s60-ac-charger-eu-plug.html?queryID=5359643ea24e92ff4013aa6b28afc7b8&objectID=45265&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

Be warned - I have no frame of reference!!