• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1st car advise

CodeMonkey20

Hi all

I'm looking for some advise on my 1st hobby grade rc car. I'm looking for something cheap (around the £60 mark) and something that can do a bit of everything, bashing, on road, off road, small obstacles and probably a lot of crashing. I have a image in my head of me and my 2 year daughter making jumps and courses in the back garden which will hopefully come true. I seen lots of reviews on the 12428 which looks perfect for what I want but I've also seen that there's a 12429 at the same price, does anyone know how they compare? Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Also worth pointing out that I'm looking forward to upgrading the truck overtime so I'm OK with the shocks needing to be upgraded out of the box and then additional things in the future 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by CodeMonkey20
Added more info

Sorry I should have said, yes they are wltoys models. All the videos I've watched on YouTube have said that the plastics are really flexible and that they can take a lot of punishment. I realise that this is a basic model but I look forward to upgrading it and if I get into the hobby buy a better branded truggy which is my favourite style. Does anybody know if the 12429 is better than the 12428? It looks better but I've seen a few comments saying that the 12428 has better performance and upgrade ability.

Thanks for your reply. The conclusion I've come to us that they are the same car except to 12429 has bigger wheels and a small battery tray located high up which means it looks a lot better but is slower and more likely to rollover due to the high centre of gravity. Its a shame because I really like the design but the 12428 is probably better suited for jumps and easier to drive for a beginner 

Thanks

Hey man,

I sort of went through the same scenario as you mention above but about three months ago.

My 3 year old son loves Monster Trucks and off road vehicles and like you say, we've made little jumps out the back, been jumping off curbs, over the woods, dusty car parks the lot, it's been great fun.

Relating to you r question, I picked up a Maverick iON MT, which was a little more that your £60 budget, at £69.99 but the only thing I needed was 4 AA batteries and we were away ripping up the garden.

I must admit though, I broke a front driveshaft on the very first run out, seemingly very very easily and I managed to get a twig jammed in the steering mechanism which put too much pressure on the steering servo and it broke a gear in the servo. 

It's fun to work on if a little small and I upgraded the driveshafts to ali ones and grabbed a new servo off eBay. There's lots of upgradable parts for the iON and they all seem to be pocket money prices which keeps it fun and frivolous.

The iON has served it purpose to me and my boy now and was a fun, affordable introduction into the hobby. 

I have a Arrma Granite BLX V3 on order which I'm very excited for and I'd not have gotten to this stage without the iON.

Hope this helps a little.

IMG_9088.thumb.jpeg.8ce963533614faa322c48004776490cd.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...