• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Just acquired a Mad Bull

gunja99

Was talking with me running/cycling mate on Monday about me new sand viper and said he had an old one in loft. Today he gave me it (not working) for the kids to race me! So gonna swap out bits and work out what's not working and get this back in"the road"...

20200823_160812.jpg

• Like 1

If its just for the kids, it's gonna give em a lot of fun. Quick enough and other than a front shock, mines been indestructible. 

I've just changed mine to brushless, oil shocks and better steering rods. Considering its 23yrs old, its doing pretty well. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

You'll have fun updating it to today's technology. Don't bother with the stock motor if you plan to get Lipo battery.

dunno about that, lipos do give stock motors a nice kick, running 2s on the lunchbox and stock motor  :)

Pulled out the old radio and ESC (what is that with a servo?! Olden days hey?!) Put the Sand Vipers internals in, and worked a treat on the road (the battery was dead too, but hey ho)

Ordering a 1560 ESC and same radio as have in Viper.  Put it all back in Viper, and borrowed it's back wheels! Hah.

Currently got it all apart and degreasing the Diff, etc. New grease to go in, and replace the plastic with the metal bearings I just got in the post the other day as spares! :)

Great fun this is ;)

20200823_162229.jpg

20200823_163803.jpg

IMG-20200823-WA0018.jpeg

Woohoo mate you got a good deal there lol :thumbsup:

And now you know exactly how to sort it 🍻

thats the old mechanical speed controller was not bad in its day with 3 forward and 3 reverse speeds worked by a servo  put an esc in there and gives you a spare servo lol 

still love colour of your ahem daughters viper 🍻

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, gunja99 said:

Yeah the gold was a great choice, I love it! I wasn't sure! Just ordered another shell for it and some more paints as she wants to freestyle a paint job... EEk ;)

that looks awesome m8, not seen a mechanical speed controller in quite a while, the servo moves a contact over other contacts and each contact is different speeds for the motor or reverse,  grew up with they mechanical controllers  :D

yeh brace yourself for pink and unicorns and rainbows  :D

hehe i see you are well addicted now and you really know what your doing as well, awesome hobby  :)

• Like 2

Well fixed up the mad bull with today's delivery and got a chance to try out a few tools I've bought recently. Soldering iron, heat gun, and a Dremel style rotary tool. Had to make a battery holder (used a coat hanger and the Dremel!) As the mad bull one was missing and replaced all my connectors with deans connectors as the tamiya style ones are just... Well...

And no I didn't forget to put the heat shrink on any wires (nearly forgot once but noticed just before putting wire to connector lol). Though getting that heat shrink over the solder on occasion was nearly as hard as putting on a condom!

Anyways here's some pics (not driven it yet though)

And yes that table needs a clean tomorrow!

20200826_132338.jpg

20200826_132540.jpg

20200826_204449.jpg

20200826_230449.jpg

20200827_000144.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gunja99 said:

Also do realise the back wheels are wrong way round on mad bull will change that before take it out! 

hehe looking brilliant m8 and aye just switch the back wheels around, saves any tyre faffing about  :)

here is exactly what i bought for me and dad a while back for heat shrink after using loads of his lol https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MRP1DUG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so many sizes and your tools are looking impressive :)

now what model you gonna buy next?  😛

edit: they green horn ones are decent, using 2 of the 5000, mah ones in my hyper vse  :)

Edited by Yrkoon

Oh wheels are on and off all the time, so will hopefully give it a run tonight.

Yeah need to get some different sizes of heat shrink. Bought a pack of 40 Deans last week which came with the small pre cut lengths, and they fine :)

Getting used to Soldering (or soddering if you're American).

What model next? Hmmm, dunno, probably just keep these two for now. If keep getting more, might need to invest in a better transmitter that can have multi models! Is there a way I can link a receiver to two radios easily (i.e. use the two I have for the kids, but I can link a "better" multi model one too?) I guess in theory it's possible, but you sync/bind them and will use new codes each time. 

With regards the battery a little annoyed at that LiPo, thought was rounded corners. It's OK for the Viper, does fit just need to dremmel the 2 little bits under the latch, but will definitely not fit the mad bull. It's the reason why I only bought one, so can test to start with.

FPV drones next... Nah will wait till 2021 for that, hah. Might like a 4x4 and brushless, who knows, spending a fortune :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2020 at 19:11, Smoothybb said:

If its just for the kids, it's gonna give em a lot of fun. Quick enough and other than a front shock, mines been indestructible. 

I've just changed mine to brushless, oil shocks and better steering rods. Considering its 23yrs old, its doing pretty well. 

What were you saying about the front shock?

So, how I know whats compatible? Bizarrely was just thinking whilst bashing it around the streering, really needs sorting, and new shocks would be grand. TBH it drove better once the shock broke! Hah!

Also what can be done about the steering rods? Think the servo out of align on the front too, the whole front is very lose anyways. So will get oil shocks, new motor, and some new steering rods :)

20200905_115715.jpg

What were you saying about the front shock?

So, how I know whats compatible? Bizarrely was just thinking whilst bashing it around the streering, really needs sorting, and new shocks would be grand. TBH it drove better once the shock broke! Hah!

Also what can be done about the steering rods? Think the servo out of align on the front too, the whole front is very lose anyways. So will get oil shocks, new motor, and some new steering rods :)

20200905_115715.jpg

Yep same as mine, although the araldite repair lasted a decade! 

I went with 76mm front shocks, from a ts4n according to the fleabay seller. For now I've whacked hyper 7 rears on the back but am yet to test properly. 

As for the steering, everything is loose, no precision at all. The rod from servo to bellcrank can be improved with heat shrink but I replaced mine completely before I realised I had the servo the wrong way round. I've also added heat shrink to the pushrods which has helped a bit. I intend to replace the cheese ones with these when I can be bothered to measure properly https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Servo-Steering-Linkage-Pull-Rod-for-1-10-Scale-RC-Car-SCX10-90046-TRX4-D90-Parts/283817919841?hash=item4214ddc561:g:0TUAAOSwVoJecIj2

I'm yet to see if any of the improvements will stop the horrendous snaking when trying to reverse! 

DSC_1193.JPG

DSC_1194.JPG

DSC_1195.JPG

On 05/09/2020 at 14:34, Smoothybb said:

Yep same as mine, although the araldite repair lasted a decade! 

I went with 76mm front shocks, from a ts4n according to the fleabay seller. For now I've whacked hyper 7 rears on the back but am yet to test properly. 

As for the steering, everything is loose, no precision at all. The rod from servo to bellcrank can be improved with heat shrink but I replaced mine completely before I realised I had the servo the wrong way round. I've also added heat shrink to the pushrods which has helped a bit. I intend to replace the cheese ones with these when I can be bothered to measure properly https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Servo-Steering-Linkage-Pull-Rod-for-1-10-Scale-RC-Car-SCX10-90046-TRX4-D90-Parts/283817919841?hash=item4214ddc561:g:0TUAAOSwVoJecIj2

I'm yet to see if any of the improvements will stop the horrendous snaking when trying to reverse! 

DSC_1193.JPG

DSC_1194.JPG

DSC_1195.JPG

Nice, those steering rods look good, might look at that for both cars. Do you know what length Shocks you got on it, I've read that 75 front, and 90 rear is what to get, or maybe 100 on the back? Slightly confusing on that. BTW the steering servo if a little out of alignment (in neutral), so might switch that. As I say it actually seemed to run better without that shock in place, lol!

Nice, those steering rods look good, might look at that for both cars. Do you know what length Shocks you got on it, I've read that 75 front, and 90 rear is what to get, or maybe 100 on the back? Slightly confusing on that. BTW the steering servo if a little out of alignment (in neutral), so might switch that. As I say it actually seemed to run better without that shock in place, lol!

The fleabay seller said mine were 76mm fronts, they seem okay so far. Not sure what hyper 7 rears are. 

I had it out yesterday and found nothing has improved the horrendous snaking when reversing, everything is just too loose currently. Tempted to take my shocks off, see if that helps! 😁 

Need a new rod from servo to bell crank as well, that bent first crash. 

Final thoughts, maybe 3s and 10.5t motor is a bit much for this model. The front wheels spend too much time in the air when accelerating! 🤔

11 minutes ago, Smoothybb said:

Final thoughts, maybe 3s and 10.5t motor is a bit much for this model. The front wheels spend too much time in the air when accelerating! 🤔

Lol, and I'[m just using 3000mAh 7.2V NiMah! Not found the 2S's that'll fit the bay yet.... grrr... Need to make an order this week, so will try again to get the right kind of Lipo to fit the stick format...