• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rovan 29cc need help please

Shockwave_

So I bought my car ran it in for a good tank and then only slightly throttled after that and then used it decently the last time I took it out so only took out three times, anyways I bought a kill switch switchblade version 1 wired in and then started the car but this kill switch button nor the actual stop button worked so the only way I knew from nitro to turn the engine off was by putting my finger over the exhaust pipe, I then took it apart again and took the coil off of the flywheel and wired the kill switch directly into the car so now the only way to turn the car off is by the controller, anyways I used a business card to get the correct spacing and then went to start still not starting so I took the kill switch off and then took the spark plug out and I’m not getting a spark on the plug now so would you say it’s a spark plug problem and to buy one and try again with the new plug as I could have messed it up ? What’s your thoughts will give more details if needed. Just want to go out and bash it around but have spent a good 4-5 hours now putting together and taking apart.

1 hour ago, Shockwave_ said:

So I bought my car ran it in for a good tank and then only slightly throttled after that and then used it decently the last time I took it out so only took out three times, anyways I bought a kill switch switchblade version 1 wired in and then started the car but this kill switch button nor the actual stop button worked so the only way I knew from nitro to turn the engine off was by putting my finger over the exhaust pipe

This sounds like a lose connection, or a broken wire to me.

1 hour ago, Shockwave_ said:

I then took it apart again and took the coil off of the flywheel and wired the kill switch directly into the car so now the only way to turn the car off is by the controller, anyways I used a business card to get the correct spacing and then went to start still not starting so I took the kill switch off and then took the spark plug out and I’m not getting a spark on the plug now so would you say it’s a spark plug problem and to buy one and try again with the new plug as I could have messed it up ? What’s your thoughts will give more details if needed. Just want to go out and bash it around but have spent a good 4-5 hours now putting together and taking apart.

Are your batteries fully charged in the model and transmitter?

Are you cycling the killswitch before you try to start the model? Assuming your using the stock radio (Flysky GT3B)

Turn on Transmitter -> Turn on Model -> Press channel 3 to cycle the killswitch, you should now have spark. You will hear a slight click come from the killswitch box.

Personally, I use 3 pieces of paper to gap the coil, normally fold a post it note into 3 thick, put it between the coil and magnet part of the flywheel. Then check to make sure there isn't any contact by rotating it a few times by hand.

You say you disconnected the killswitch? If you only unplugged it from the receiver, the killswitch will still work (engine disabled) and will not let you start the engine. Think of it like a flat battery, or a disconnected battery.

You were getting spark before, but not now. I don't think it's the spark plug. I think you might have something wrong somewhere.

Also worth looking at the LED on the killswitch,  can get some direction from that.

So in terms of me disconnecting it I have disconnected the black and red connections that go onto the coil but have left the connection in the channel 3 on the receiver so in theory have no kill button just to see if I had a spark, also the metal connection that goes round the spark plug is slightly bent where I took it off as it was so tight see picture, but when I put it on the plug it sits firm and isn’t loose. 

F1771DA6-717F-404A-B76F-CCAFDAF85078.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Shockwave_ said:

I got a spark now I just tried basically I didn’t ground the plug when pulling on it, so will try tomorrow to see if it start fingers crossed it should do now 

Ah good news! Good luck with wiring the killswitch for the 50th time. 😄

Bash on!