• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushed motor life?

Lone-wolf

So i got my wife an FTX outlaw brushed about 15 months ago since this time it has gone trough about 4 different motors, fitted a 21T and that only lasted about 5 trips out, then fitted a 540 can and that did not last long at all, then in went a nice 550 28T and that was pretty good, but is now getting really hot, so a 21T is going back in (new one) i have found doing the under water break in helps a bit, is this a lot of motors for this rig or about right, the truck does not get a lot of use

That doesn’t sound right to me, I’ve had motors run for years without any problems. Does it run hot? I put too big wheels on a buggy for giggles and that killed the motor because it was getting far too hot and the magnets cracked.

• Like 1

Sounds like the gearing is off and cooking the motor. Fitting a 550 compared to 540 (if they were they same turn) you'd need a couple of teeth smaller pinion minimum. Faster motor needs smaller pinion to make up of the lack of torque. Its not an exact science though. Best get a range of pinions and check on motor temps as if you're always flat out everywhere its like going up the M1 in a v8 swapped car in 1st gear only.

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

There isnt much choice (17t or 23t) are the only mounts offered for the gearbox without modification.
When it comes to the outlaw and gearing, its just quite bad from what im seeing, I've also melted 3 motors on the outlaw.
Brushless seems to be the way to go for longer life atleast, but be careful as other issues then can arise.
Let me know if you also find a solution short of a transmission swap. Goodluck have fun :)

Edited by Redback

Hi

If you're looking at going down a couple of teeth on the Pinion gear, there are actually a lot of options.

The key is to match the pinion and spur gear pitch  : you need 0.6 mod that fits on your 3.2mm bore.

Here is a listing from RW available from ModelSport:  you can choose if you like 14t, 15t or 16t  

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9920&SubCategoryID=992050&MSAttributeID[41]=647&MSAttributeID[110]=1246&ManufacturerID=48

However I have no idea if that will help solve your root cause, which might not be the gearing - could be something else. I'm just new here.