• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

3D Printed custom built FORD MUSTANG '67 (1:10)

antisasa

I reckon I will end up doing something like this with my printer when it gets here, so keenly following this project :)

Which material did you use? Most of the normal 3D printer materials are quite brittle in comparison to normal RC plastic, which tends to be a Nylon blend.

• Like 1

I wouldn't print anything with PLA it's as brittle as hell, PETG is a lot better as it's got a bit of flex in it, but still nowhere near as strong as injection moulded nylon that the stuff we buy is made from. We did look at printing polycarbonate but it requires mega high temps and stinks apparently.

What are you using?

Hey guys

What we really aim for is authentic/realistic look , but still trying to make it as durable as possible.  Amazing challenge I reckon:)
We use ABS filament 1.75 mm .  I think the ABS is a bit more stronger than PLA.  We also printed with PETG, but the adhesion wasn't quite there between the layers . It was easily dissolved. If settings right, do you think it would be better than ABS?

Regards
the antal's :)

2 minutes ago, Darren Frosty said:

ABS done right is stronger than PETG I believe, but does ABS have a bit of flex in it? strikes me that's what's needed for the shell at least.

Absolutely thought well! We're on the same page
Yes it does have some flex in it. That's the reason why we thought it would be best.
We will test this model outside soon, so everything  gonna be  just the naked truth:) How it brakes, what it can pull through- where its limits are.

• 1 month later...