• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rtsbasic vs Capra - From kit to 2.2 Sporty

Rtsbasic

So here we are, the first build thread I’ve started since the old UltimateRC days. Bear with me while I take a trip down memory lane [emoji16] Post 2 will begin the Sporty conversion.

Way back in the land of....2019, a Capra was preordered. It was built, it was driven, and it was good. Then promptly shelved through the winter (damn scale rigs asking for mud and attention!)

69f4f7f136505305874231a31ea86920.jpg

Fast forward to 2020, and it was reborn like a Phoenix rising, as the Baja Bug. Hard body, capable, fun and quite the looker I think [emoji102]

a34635a651d0edb5b241b51feeb30450.jpg

Along the way there was very few bolt on parts, instead much time investment into understanding link geometry and suspension for this flavour of fun.

Of course, the good weather comes along, a stronger local scene gets together for proper rock crawling. Everyone is talking about granite Tor’s, steep climbs and gnarly transitions. Suddenly there’s something simmering just beneath the surface I haven’t felt before. It wasn’t a dodgy takeaway thankfully. This build found its true calling, to live up to the Goat name. My first performance crawler build [emoji39]

First came the wheelbase stretch (+12mm), and the swap to a droop setup. A flat skid was locked & loaded. Shorter springs softer than a homemade jelly. Anti squat and dive was considered. Lines were drawn mapping instant center points. Rear link riser came hot off the press. Well, 3D printer. Progress was being made.

e880111a12dad9c2c0d0aa5842b1b53c.jpg

The fun continued, corners were weighed and balance changes needed to happen. Some tummy fat needed trimming, but the Bug look had to stay. Research started into body and chassis options. Much tea was stirred, some drank, others left to go cold while links were moved and discussions were had about tyres.

3ce580c7edb04cfda2ce3add4db8793f.jpg

Lexan comp cut body was painted (Kamtec shell). Hyrax predators with 2 stage inserts were broken in. Total weight came down and suddenly 60 degree climbs were not a problem. Stay tuned to see how this evolves into a Sporty build, and what happens to the standard components [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A great build thread, thanks for sharing! 
The Alcista chassis was on the cards for my (ex) Capra if it didn’t sell. It sold..so no Alcista for me! 

Looking forward to seeing your Goats ongoing journey 👍

• Like 1

Nice write up mate, can't wait to get out on the rocks in the coming weeks / months to see how she performs[emoji106]

Thanks mate, looking forward to seeing you out again soon. Thinking of organising a meet at Sharpitor and on to Leather Tor in a couple weeks if your free?

Thanks mate, looking forward to seeing you out again soon. Thinking of organising a meet at Sharpitor and on to Leather Tor in a couple weeks if your free?

Providing it's not this weekend I should be free. Off to Cotswolds for a few days from Saturday. First change of scenery for ages!!!

Wonderful views from up on sharpitor if memory serves.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Providing it's not this weekend I should be free. Off to Cotswolds for a few days from Saturday. First change of scenery for ages!!!

Wonderful views from up on sharpitor if memory serves.

Have a good time up there!

Used to fly slope soarers from the S W bank of Sharpitor, it’s a nice view of Burrator and over to Tavistock up there. Not been down to Leather Tor before but hopefully have a quick scout after work one day next week. See what kind of lines there are to take

2 hours ago, Rtsbasic said:

Have a good time up there!

Used to fly slope soarers from the S W bank of Sharpitor, it’s a nice view of Burrator and over to Tavistock up there. Not been down to Leather Tor before but hopefully have a quick scout after work one day next week. See what kind of lines there are to take

It's big enough to have quite a few I hope!

At least that'll be way easier to get to and park than Sheeps Tor🤣

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Little update with some more work done. Not quite sure if it’s still a Capra really, all that remains are the axles, shocks and some links [emoji39]

8d9528fd050ad035727bcbec958741f3.jpg

Postman has been! 24% front overdrive and stronger standard ratio for the rear. Supershafty link riser to replace the printed piece. And one of Holmes finest economy motors..... love these things [emoji2]

acc89d84ba291c201fdf96008e36b5d2.jpg

Had a run out last weekend with the overdrive and riser fitted. It offers +11mm & +16mm options vs the printed one +10mm. Small but noticeable change, this thing just wants to plant the front down. Takes quite an extreme angle to roll back now.

The overdrive feels good, not as extreme as I was expecting. Guess that’s why they call it the mild setup [emoji102] Sidehilling is still very acceptable, and on steep ledge climbs you can see the front pulling the rear over instead of rotating around the rear axle.

7c84ffbff58c1bc9c2feb87a5a32c904.jpg

Back to the bench yesterday, time to get this baby in. Ax10 style gearbox pulled from an scx10.2 builders kit.

15ae445115c89a908b34c92d9d12ca0e.jpg

Motor sits a solid 8-10mm lower, and overall weight came down 60g. No dig, but I think the VP Hurtz would drop in okay. Could be ordering that up soon..

Driveshafts are a mixture of Capra/scx10.2 WB’s now. They needed lengthening to accommodate the ax10 box. Lots more scope in the gearing, 16/56 feels very similar to stock gearbox with a 9t pinion. Feel comfortable going to 2.2’s now I can gear correctly, just need to find some pin tyres. 13/56 on 5.5 tyres should give very similar rollout to how it is now on 4.75 1.9’s. No stock of the Ibex in good old England still.. Anyone have some Voodoo pins or light wheels for sale? [emoji16]

The rear lower links are high clearance with quite a bend in them. They come very close to binding on the upper links on full flex, will have to keep an eye on this when it’s next out and see if it’s a problem or not. Can now climb the garden steps where before it would hang on the rear links, not much of a test but I’ll take it [emoji38]

Next steps are 2.2’s, a swap to new radio (a buddy gifted me a FS gt5 setup for wiring up his bc8. Win win!) and eventually relocating the lipo down to the axle. Looking good for a 1300 3s behind the servo, just need to get cutting on some g10..

• Like 3

Just back from holiday...

And this is a build I was waiting to see! Well done mate - looks very nice indeed👍

I see you have now lowered the front chassis upper link 1 place - was going to mention that - but then you have quite a bit of knuckle weight helping with grip there also. What is your caster like? Have you tried increasing that - hard to tell from the pics - as that will help further with ledges.

Once you can sort the battery location that will help lots also :-). I run 850mah packs but then I think you chaps get out for longer runs than I do. 

Also looking forward to seeing these Ibex over here.

Fun times!!

• Like 1

Just back from holiday...

And this is a build I was waiting to see! Well done mate - looks very nice indeed[emoji106]

I see you have now lowered the front chassis upper link 1 place - was going to mention that - but then you have quite a bit of knuckle weight helping with grip there also. What is your caster like? Have you tried increasing that - hard to tell from the pics - as that will help further with ledges.

Once you can sort the battery location that will help lots also :-). I run 850mah packs but then I think you chaps get out for longer runs than I do. 

Also looking forward to seeing these Ibex over here.

Fun times!!

Thanks for your motivational words!

I’ve increased the caster angle a few degrees by adjusting the front link lengths, I think it could stand a bit more, with a 2mm spacer on the lower links to bring them out a touch more.

Last run out I was quite chuffed with the behaviour of the rig, the way it pulls into rocks and resists the dreaded roll over. But of course, we can never be happy with the status quo. There’s always a bit more to eek out of every build [emoji2]

Normally on a run we will be on the rocks for 6hrs or so. So the slightly larger batteries are worth it.

Impatiently stomping my feet waiting for tyres to come into stock. Had to throw this one together, the ‘Scrapra’ composed of only the finest leftover parts [emoji102][emoji38]

Capra cage, high clearance skid, Capra gearbox, mixture of Capra/scx10.2 links and driveshafts, and a shiny pair of refurbished AR44’s sitting under it all. Will drive quite differently I’m sure, and looks pretty tasty with the Scorcher hard body sat on top [emoji41]

Do note I used my highest performing HV ultra brushless super power servo for mocking up [emoji16] Need to order up a waterproof Savox and esc for this build then it’s ready to rock & roll..

808bdd179a951812ca0fb2f658dd185c.jpg

95c34f6cc1cccd1600b3c30acb3adbb0.jpg

91a53eb46958e5a1e600aff54bbc98ac.jpg

bb0e4d7916ffccf3bd84b0171d8aa9bb.jpg

0fb057125cc0cd0c37ac2c71407c9c02.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good work with getting into the leftovers build mate [emoji106] I love those builds as much as the proper builds [emoji16]
Looks really good though, looking forward to seeing it in the rocks soon.

Love these kind of builds too, building something out of what you have on the bench is sooooo satisfying [emoji2]

Speaking of what’s on the bench, the Postman kindly dropped these off today. They are huge [emoji44] With some dremel work to take the inside ribbing off, and shave the inside sidewalls, I think they might be a performer. Think they will soften up nicely after these little mods. Still waiting on the 2 stage foams..

8f710ee343669b72ceeb2f2a5086167d.jpg

• Like 1

Love these kind of builds too, building something out of what you have on the bench is sooooo satisfying [emoji2]

Speaking of what’s on the bench, the Postman kindly dropped these off today. They are huge [emoji44] With some dremel work to take the inside ribbing off, and shave the inside sidewalls, I think they might be a performer. Think they will soften up nicely after these little mods. Still waiting on the 2 stage foams..

8f710ee343669b72ceeb2f2a5086167d.jpg

I have those on my sporty, excellent on the rocks mate [emoji106]

I have those on my sporty, excellent on the rocks mate [emoji106]

Good to hear they do okay! Fingers crossed they work out.

Started working on them last night, it’s surprising how much the sidewalls soften up after a bit of trimming inside & a shave outside. Also surprising how long it takes to do! The mess is quite spectacular, hope the end result is worth it [emoji1787]e0987d1b9e8820c38f62adbaed37c9e6.jpg
ed60eaba79058e2cb181ff6b59f622c9.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DartmoorTrails said:

What foams have you ordered?

Picked up 2 sets of the Proline 2.2 XL dual stage foams. They’re a identical match in size to the originals, with a much softer outer and the firm inner.  I think pretty much identical to the CI double deuce 6.0 soft outers, without waiting 3 weeks.

Which ones are you running? The included ones seem pretty firm for a single stage, I think given the chop it would be possible to make some nice tuning rings from them...

Picked up 2 sets of the Proline 2.2 XL dual stage foams. They’re a identical match in size to the originals, with a much softer outer and the firm inner.  I think pretty much identical to the CI double deuce 6.0 soft outers, without waiting 3 weeks.

Which ones are you running? The included ones seem pretty firm for a single stage, I think given the chop it would be possible to make some nice tuning rings from them...
CI DD 6 comp cut inner soft. Very squishy but she's very lightweight so works well together [emoji106]

• Like 1

On 22/08/2020 at 20:49, Rtsbasic said:

Love the tyre work buddy - have also dabbled in tyre mods 👍

The difference between Ci and PL is the former is much softer and has a smaller diameter inner ring. Generally they conform more period. However, there comes a point on some heavy rigs where that just aint gonna work!!.. Re the PL, I have found that hollowing out some of the inner has helped soften things up for me.... 

And yes, if we could get Ci over here or easily then I would use them over PL but a good exercise to see if we can make them work definitely 👍